Is Passions being cancelled?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry to disagree with you but I do. Passions has never pretended to be anything more than it is. It is campy, it is supernatural and it never pretended to be anymore than that. I never pretended to be high drama.

The thing that has given soaps a bad name is the other shows that half the time pretend to be high drama and then turn around and add the supernatural, the high camp, and the constant things that do not make sense. That is what people are laughing about and the big reason that daytime is not taken serious anymore.

I mean how can you take the shows serious anymore

* when Stefano and characters like him rise from the dead all the time,

* regular soap characters are possessed by the devil and recover to walk around,

* kids age at such a rapid pace these days - one day they are preschoolers and the next day teenagers. SORASing has gotten way out of hand on soaps

* other characters ages just keep getting younger while the younger characters get older

* abortions are undone by things that weren't even available

* fetus' (Josh on AMC and Chelsea on Days) are walking around on the show and are explained in utterly stupid ways

* clones are happening and tried to be explained in normal ways

* death is not even a normal part of the characters lives anymore unless the actor who played that person dies too

And on and on the things go. These are the reasons soaps are taken seriously anymore. It is not just Passions but it is every show on the air that has contributed to that problem.

• Members

I don't like Days right now for alot of reasons but I don't wish it to be cancelled. I totally agree with everyone - if you don't like Passions just don't watch it.

I haven't enjoyed OLTL and AMC most of the year either but I never wished them to be cancelled.

And you Days fans especially that are hollering for Passions to be cancelled remember how you felt and I felt when just months ago there were more people wishing Days would be cancelled than almost any other show on the air.

And I will clarify my statement from before. When I was talking about NBC cancelling Days once Passions was gone, I did not say that Days couldn't survive without Passions. I don't think that at all. I am sure Days can stand on it's own feet, but once Passions is gone NBC will find a whole lot easier to say saynora to Days. It will be their last show and they will easily decide to cut their losses. It doesn't matter to them if the show is on an upswing or not. AW was on an upswing critically which would over time translated to better ratings but NBC didn't care. They said sayonara to the show that had been their main tentpole for many years, and they will gladly say it to Days too without ever blinking an eye.

All you can hope for is that ABC will pick up Days and all I can say is you better hope that Frons isn't still there when ABC gets it.

• Members

I hope Passions stays on the air along with Days because cancelling soaps in today's climate is not a good thing.It is also not good for viewer morale knowing your favorite soap(s) are vulnerable to cancellation at anytime especially when there is no mention of a replacement soap.Look what happened with the cancellation of Port Charles in 2003.There was no replacement soap for Port Charles and the timeslot went to syndication fare in whatever market used to carry Port Charles at 12:30pm.There is no announcement to my knowledge of ABC coming up with a 4th soap for the lineup anytime soon.

If Passions gets renewed NBC ought to plan for a long-term 3rd soap on their lineup.I say that because NBC viewers need a vote of confidence that the network is willing to give soaps another try.If NBC really wanted to cancel Passions, the 3rd year of the show would have been the opportune time to do it considering that Sunset Beach aired its last show a week before its 3rd anniversary.I'm really enjoying Passions these days and I don't want NBC to end that anytime soon.If NBC wanted to be done with Passions then it would have been toast a long time ago.Plus they probably don't want to anger James E.Reilly. either.I think that's why they kept Loving on the air because of trying to kept creator Agnes Nixon.But there's also a point of no return,too.But if Passions gets an onfire headwriter and executive producer and up the pace a few notches then its potential can be totally realized.

• Members

If you want Passions to be cancelled, it speaks volumes about your character and your total lack of respect for Passions fans and their feelings. Wishing cancellation upon Passions goes beyond one's freedom of speech. This is crossing into total venomous hatred. Try to show some respect for fellow soap fans and don't be a total douchebag.

• Members
I've watched PSNS on and off for years so I do have the right to comment on it. And saying I want it cancelled is my right as well. I don't think it should be cancelled because it's not my cup of tea. I LOVE Sci Fi and Dark Shadows is one of my favorite soaps of all-time. PSNS problem is that it's a great idea with a dreadful execution. From the dreadful casting to the dreadful writing to the painfully slow pace to the never revealed secrets, it's a failure, IMO. I don't think JER or the majority of those bad actors deserve the paycheck they're getting so yes, I think it should be cancelled. JER is largely responsible for ruining NBC with his writing for boths soaps, no way does her deserve a job!

Guiding Light is a completely different story IMO. It's the oldest show in history and has done enough to merit CBS holding onto it. Plus I believe it could be saved. JER can't be fired since he owns PSNS so there is no hope for the show. And since most people think of it as such a joke it'll never be able to match what DAYS is getting. They should launch a new soap that is a solid traditional soap with a strong cast. All of the new saops that fail (SuBe, PC, PSNS, TC) lack the traditional element that the successful soaps have. I think a more traditional soap (taken seriously) would have a chance for success.

EVERYTHING has fans! So you are basically saying that nothing should ever be cancelled? That is the craziest thing I've ever read in my life.

• Members
I didn't say Passions tried to be like a traditional soap. Fact is that it is a soap. I just don't think Passions is worth watching, and I have no idea why people think otherwise. I'm just suprised NBC would let the show live this long. But since people do enjoy the show then good for them. :)

In case someone was wondering. I've been watching Passions for the last couple of years (and I watched the beginning) up until lately. I did that so I would be able state an opinion. I think this show was bad all the way. Of course there's bad episodes and s/l on other soaps too, but I don't want them to be cancelled because of it since there's so many other things that's great. I can't find anything that has been or is great about Passions.

SteveFrame. Yes I remember when people were bashing DAYS during the last cancellation rumours. I don't think I was offended. I disagreed in many ways, that's for sure. But it was people's opinions and I certainly didn't get upset about it since everyone thinks in different ways. :) If some on a messageboard wants DAYS or any other show to be cancelled then it's only someone sharing whats on their mind. It would really be wrong for me to ask them not to. What's the point in a messageboard if everyone agreed all the time?

• Members

I don't care if NBC cancels Passions. I would welcome something else in Passions' timeslot that might interest me because JER completely ruined Passions for me. I don't believe that Days' future rests with NBC keeping Passions and if it does, heaven help Days because Passions isn't going to do anything for Days but possibly bring them and NBC down a level. JER and Passions were given their chances but the show is still at the bottom of the ratings and will never be anywhere else so it's time for something else to get a chance on NBC, whatever that might be.

• Members

I do not wish death on Passions, because for one it has loads of potential, and it has actors who risk losing their jobs that they do so they can live. However, I want a new HW. JER has lost his touch, and should be fired and never come to a soap again. However, if JER continues to write and Passions turns into a show that just focuses on raping women every two weeks, then I would wish cancellation on it.

And, Passions fans who feelings apparently could get hurt if someone wants a show to be cancelled, I have said this before and I will say it again, you all need to understand that this is a message board and every thing's not gonna be just hunky-dory. People are gonna disagree and sometimes people will say they want a show to be canceled, live with it. I'm not gonna back down saying my opinion just because it could hurt someone whne it shouldn't.

Now, if people who don't even watch the show just come in to say bad things about it, then just stop. I'm not saying anyone is, it is just unfair for someone to wish death upon a show they have never even caught a glimpse of.

Archived