Is Passions being cancelled?

• Members

What I don't understand is why would they need to cancel Passions which comes on at 2pm for a show that would run from 9am-10am.

Besides Sylvia Browne said the only daytime show getting cancelled in 07 was Martha ;)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As much as I dislike the direction PSNS has taken recently, I am nowhere near ready to see it cancelled. I want to see it have the chance to improve, although I realize how improbable that is with JER remaining as HW. Because, let's face it, JER's not going anywhere.

The most horrifying thing about this to me though has nothing to do with PASSIONS, but DAYS. IF NBC does cancel PASSIONS, I could totally see them letting go of DAYS at some point. And as much as I hate to say this, I would so much rather see DAYS cancelled than be picked up by ABC while that heathen Frons is still there.

This is just awful.

• Members

The way that I read the article, R!ck, is that NBC has some type of commitment with the syndicated shows so if NBC gets rid of the 10-11 am timeslot for the syndicates, then they have to use the 2 pm timeslot as a substitute. If you go to the link in the article, they mention something about local advertisers will need time to air their ads. Syndicated shows are really cheap so that's when local businesses air their ads....

• Members

So basically it translates to a lack of quality if they virtually let their quality shows go? No? IMHO the shows that survived into the new millenium (with the exception of PSNS) survived for a reason. Can you imagine if the daytime line up still had some of those past soaps?

• Members

I can't believe NBC would be stupid enough to cancel a show that is doing so well in the younger demos. Today is not going to give them a #1 show in 12-17, 12-24, and it's not going to get the ratings PSNS scores in 18-34 and 18-49

Sure the Today show gets about 5.5 million viewers but 80% of them are in the 25-54 and 50+ demos and when has NBC ever cared about them?

The Today Show ratings for last week was a 1.0 in 18-49 and a 0.4 in 18-34

This past week PASSIONS had a 1.4 in 18-49 and a 1.4 in 18-34

• Members

I want to say AMEN. Because you've said everything that's on the minds of dedicated soap fans like myself. And the above are the reason I've pretty much decided to walk away from watching soaps after all this time, maybe for good. Even though I still love and deeply care about the genre.

There was a time when soap writers used to genuinely STRIVE to win the soap genre RESPECT. They really did, when they did character-driven, socially relevant storylines which were eminently relatable. Which Y&R for one did up to recent times, with Cassie's death for instance it was definitely the case.

People wonder why Passions is often derided. I mean no offence to Passions fans here at all, but it's derided by many because it has (and greatly exaggerates) all the things for which soaps are ridiculed for. And the same can be said for a lot of JER's work on Days. Of course, I will also dare say that this obsession with winning the younger demos over is what is actually hurting the soaps- because soap writers and producers are willing to make their shows look stupid (and bad) in order to appeal to that desired demographic.

• Members

It wouldn't be a problem if the soaps knew how to write stories that appeal to everyone. The problem is, for the most part, they think that younger viewers can't handle anything other than 'stupid.' They think younger viewers have no brains and can't handle something written well. They underestimate the intelligence of their viewers far too often.

• Members

Why does everyone think PSNS is doing that bad!?

It has been ahead of ATWT/GL in 18-49 demos for over 5 years and has beaten B&B and AMC twice this season.

It's only 0.5 of a point below GL and 0.7 from ATWT/AMC in HH

It's one of the only soaps up in 25-54 vs last season

It's one of 3 soaps that have stayed the same in 18-49 vs last season

And It beats all other soaps (except DAYS) in the younger demos

Their HH ratings are nothing to write home about but we all know 18-49 are the make or break numbers

• Members

Please. NBC is notorious for having extremely high expectations for their soaps. And for being more than greedy. "From These Roots" would have been a long-running hit if NBC hadn't cancelled it in 1961 so they could replace it with a soap that was going to star a major movie star. For the record, that show failed.

They fucked "The Doctors" up beyond belief, and besides DAYS and AW, it was their only other truly successful soap.

• Members

Just think if DAYS is the only soap on NBC they will be able to claim that NBC Daytime is #1 every single week :lol:

This could be a blessing in disguise. There will be no averages so whatever DAYS scores for the week will be NBCD's whole lineup haha I can see it now..

18-49

NBC 1.8

ABC 1.6

CBS 1.5

18-49 Viewers

NBC 1,295,000

ABC 1,126,000

CBS 969,000

18-34

NBC 1.8

ABC 1.2

CBS 0.8

25-54

NBC 2.0

ABC 1.9

CBS 1.6

12-17

NBC 75,000

ABC 55,000

CBS 40,000

CBS 4.3 million

NBC 3.4 million

ABC 3.2 million

• Members

I know you didn't mean to, skiman, but thanks a lot for completely turning my great day on its ear and RUINING it, lol.

This is awful.

I'm encouraged, though, by all the support that fans have shown on the "Extra" site.

I've been skimming the page and it seems that the OVERWHELMING majority of the comments seem to be in favor of keeping the show. A considerable number also suggest ditching the "Today" show, lol.

Honestly, four hours? That's what "Today" would expand to, right?

That's ridiculous.

To further complicate matters, why would it be necessary to cancel "Passions?" In my market, the show comes on THREE HOURS after "Today"'s last hour. It makes no sense.

NBC, you should seriously get over yourselves.

No one is going to want to watch a fourth hour of "Today."

Want proof?

"Later Today."

No, it wasn't exactly "Today," but it showed that no one cared to stick around another hour for anything labeled "Today," didn't it?!

The idiocy of this network kills me.

I must agree with some viewers, though: NBC should demand that JER wrap every storyline he has and start new ones, speed the show up and pull a "Hogan" -- which, ironically, 10 years ago, might have been considered pulling a JER!

Archived