Is Passions being cancelled?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe if people stop saying the people whose opinion it is that it should be cancelled are wrong, there wouldn't be the rehashing of the same stuff.

Gosh, it's a thread about the possible cancellation of Passions. It seems germaine to the conversation: "Hmm, this is a good move and I think so because of A, B and C." "I think they should do this instead." I watched Passions religiously its first 2.5 years; I loved it. Now it is embarassing, and if JER can't be replaced, ANYTHING is better.... In my own opinion, though that shouldn't even need to be said.

• Members

If you wish cancellation on Passions, then keep it to yourself. If you're not a Passions fan, you shouldn't even be in this thread anyway. It makes no sense and is counter-productive.

I'm not calling your opinions wrong---I'm calling you wrong, personally. It's a black and white issue: it's WRONG of you to want Passions to be cancelled. Wrong=bad. Choose good.

• Members

DaysFan I agree with you 100% about opinions but wishing cancellation on a show goes far beyond opinion. We can all have opinions about certain actors or certain shows but to wish cancellation I feel takes it one step too far.

And as far as rapes even with all that Passions has had Days is still the King as far women being raped. Every heroine or lead actress through the years has been raped on Days, and with what the spoilers say comes true basically another young lady is going to be raped again. Days have had so many that the show should ban it for years to come.

• Members

I think Passions can be saved, but NBC has to move fast before the ratings go even lower, and they start to lose more money!!!! I also have to say, if NBC does cancel Passions, I hope they replace it with another Soap Opera, not an extra hour of The Today Show!!! Maybe a Days spin-off!!!

• Members

As much as I loathe Passions, I have to say that the loss of ANY soap right now -- no matter how horrible it may be -- isn't a good thing. The genre's withering away too much as it is! Before you know it, NBC will have no soaps at all. And who's to say that by the time the announcements come out, Days ratings might not be even lower? It's a possibility, but I believe that Days is far more expensive to produce than Passions -- especially with such a hefty cast and many expensive actors, no matter how many pay cuts are made. Who's to say that Days might not get the axe instead of Passions? Passions is cheaper, owned by NBC. Days is more expensive, and not owned by NBC... and the ratings aren't all that fabulous (though, to be fair, ratings for pretty much every soap is at the same level, and Days does at least do well in the important demos). It's still too close for comfort, though.

In a perfect world, Passions would simply get a new headwriter and end up thriving and Days ratings would reflect the quality that's been brought with Hogan's hiring as HW. Neither is very likely... especially the first one.

• Members

No...Passions and Days are the only soaps that should be on NBC. JER has clearly made moves to try to turn Passions around...look at the way he's finally busted Ivy and is on his way to reuniting the classic couples..Julian/Ivy, TC/Eve, Theresa/Ethan, Charity/Miguel, Sam/Grace...

JER has what it takes. He's going to make you all eat crow in 2007. And I cant wait for some of you to choke on a feather. ;)

• Members

Oh, I agree about Days having more and really doesn't need anymore, but Passions has them all close together time wise. Fancy got raped a week before CHRISTMAS, and a month before that, and she's apparently getting attacked two more times in the coming weeks. Back in 2005 we had Paloma, then shortly after Jessica, then we had that whole Jessica storyline full of them, there was Katherine's and Theresa's, etc.

Days doesn't need anymore, but my problem with Passions is how much time between the rapes there are, it's just too close. Wayyyyyyy too close.

Oh and I agree about the opinions too, I do get where you all are coming from and I do agree. It is one step too far, but I'm just saying if Passions keeps this up as to where the show is rape centered I would wish cancellation just because that's disgusting.

• Members

I've never said this before(and I hope I don't eat my words later) but ARE YOU FLIPPING KIDDING?!

Who WANTS an Extra Hour of TODAY?! No one is hankering for an extra hour of this show. If the choice was between four hours of TODAY and PASSIONS, I'd renew PASSIONS to it's 20th Anniversiary before I would EVER choose a fourth hour of TODAY. This is just too much of a good thing. And who is gonna stick around for the fourth hour? No doubt NBC's Hollaback Girl, Natalie Morales(who should have gotten Katie's job to begin with, but I love ya Meredith!) and probably Ann Curry(because she has nothing else better to do than read the news in her serious, monotonous tone).

In a perfect world, PASSIONS would be replaced with another soap ASAP! But, since NBC is too chickenshit to spend the money to launch a new soap, I'd rather have PASSIONS stay on the air and annoy the hell out of me with its existence.

DAYS on NBC is DONE(I repeat, DONE!) if PASSIONS is cancelled. Affiliates in bigger markets see daytime soaps(especially low-rated soaps) as a problem. With NBC cancelling PASSIONS, what is to stop the O&O stations from screwing over DAYS by refusing to air it and, instead, using a syndicated NBC Property in it's place(i.e. ELLEN, MEGAN, et. al.). A one soap lineup will be hard to sell to an affiliate alone. And, you're crazy if you think otherwise!

Corday better be shopping for a new home for DAYS.

This news SUCKS. I would usually be happy for ANY PASSIONS cancellation rumors, but for a pointless fourth hour of TODAY?!

• Members

I agree with all of that, every word.

Days sure as hell better not end up on ABC in the longrun, though -- at least not while Brian Frons is there! Oh my God. I don't even want to think about that. It'd be like the Tom Langan era all over again!

Archived