Is Passions being cancelled?

• Members

This is horrible.

I knew it would happen at some point but ugh.

I am with you Kenny. I would love for Days to move to CBS if I had a choice but there would be changes no matter where they end up. This is disgusting. Just when Days finally got it right and is on a roll this comes along and now the whole genre takes a hit.

This is so depressing. Makes you wonder if JER even cares. Could he have been so pissed at Days that he ignored the 6 months NBC gave him to improve the show in favor of his show getting cancelled knowing it may lead to bad things for Days? Whatever-this is bad for all soaps because this is looking like it will actually happen (although I saw many posts like this last year and both Days and Passions stayed so who knows).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, a battle of Erica versus Theresa?! That would be incredible. Still, though, I agree with those who say Frons would sooner cancel OLTL. Erica could still soap-hop.

But demos and the marketability factor make "Passions" a great fit for the youthful ABC Daytime.

The only problem is that JER does own the show, as you mentioned. And ABC seems to like ownership over all its shows, right? Like, 100 percent ownership. So that could be a problem.

• Members

Rion, that is probably the studiest thing that "Passions" could ever do. I mean, there's a difference between being a soap send-up or parody and becoming a complete and utter joke. That is utterly ridiculous! I hope that doesn't happen. Of course, the point is moot, because I will NOT let "Passions" get canceled.

• Members

Kenny, I am starting to get really PISSED at James E. Reilly. If the six-month rumor is true and he ignored it, just because he saw the writing on the wall and decided to get "Passions" canceled so it could kill "Days" -- and be the ultimate revenge for his firing -- then I hate this man more than anyone on earth.

I NEVER thought I would say that.

But that seems to be the most likely scenario.

This IS the man who came up with so many demented, sick, twisted characters who have carried out bigger schemes to get revenge. This JERk is doing the same thing as his characters and frankly, I find it disgusting!!!

Shame on you, Reilly!!!#$@#$#@$@ #Shame on you, JERk!!!W#$@#$@#$@#$#@$@#%$#$%#$%%

• Members

All I have to say is that if ANY. OTHER. SOAP. is cancelled on ANY. NETWORK. just to make room for DAYS of PSNS, I will [!@#$%^&*] bricks. I will set fire to buildings. I will fuckin...break every hourglass I come upon. I will...I don't know...I'd just become a DESTRUCTIVE little sunama[!@#$%^&*].

I like DAYS. Hell, I used to love DAYS. It's a good show. It has a great history (the first 20 years at least, cough cough). But I think it's a MAJOR SLAP IN THE FACE of all fans of a show if they replace it with DAYS. It's like saying..."Okay, you and ATWT and it's 50 years of success here are not needed anymore. We have DAYS OF OUR LIVES now! So you guys don't matter."

No soap, NO SOAP AT ALL, no matter how bad it is, deserves to go out at the hands of another soap. If they're cancelling a show for a brand new soap, that's totally different. But to drop a show...just to pick up another...it's just vile and any network that does that is dead to me.

Well, I'm not a PSNS fanatic, and I'm not trying to speak for them, but I think there's a difference here. In 1999, when AW was going out for PSNS, nobody had ever seen PSNS ever before. It was a brand new show and nobody knew what it was going to be like. Nobody had the right to just hate it upon arrival. Not want to watch it? Yes. But not vehemently bash it over and over again it just because it replaced AW.

But now, "The Today Show" has been on for 50+ years and people *know* what it is. It's a known shown, and most everyone who's watched daytime TV has seen at least a few minutes of it. Hopefully enough to decide whether or not they like it. If a person loves PSNS, but doesn't like Today, I think they have a good reason to be ticked off about PSNS dying just so that big bad three-hour TODAY can be even MORE longer than any morning/talk/news show should be.

• Members

EXACTLY! I said the exact same thing earlier, JER direly wants revenge on Days, and he seems to not care about Passions at all, so he would probably think "Oh why not?! I can get back at Corday for firing me!" I bet if he did, or does, know that this depends on Days future as well, he's just tell NBC to cancel Passions RIGHT NOW!

• Members

I agree. As much as I love my show, it just wouldn't be fair to other soap viewers. If Days were cancelled to bring on, say, AMC... I would be breathing fire. Then again, I'd be pissed of Days were canned, as well. Either way, the situation sucks ass.

ANY soap cancellation at this point is terrible for the entire group. But to have both Passions AND another soap cancelled? That just says it all. Days would flop on another network, anyway. Then it'd just be another loss.

• Members

And the death of the daytime genre starts

Have we heard anything about ATWT/GL being picked up this year? I know the last deal was 2005-2007. Isn't May when the current contract it up? Could CBS/PGP be waiting to see what happens with PSNS/DAYS before they renew them?

By the end of the year we could lose 3 soaps :(

• Members

Yeah, worst-case scenario, Passions gets cancelled and Days moves to another network. The other network cancels a soap to make room, then Days is an inevitable flop (for reasons mentioned on previous pages) and ends up canned within a year or two, anyway.

This could be killing three birds with one stone. Then the daytime genre really WILL be on its last legs.

• Members

I know it's looking more and more unlikely, but I hope to God that PASSIONS isn't cancelled, now more than ever. And anyone else who is a fan of soaps should be too, whether you love, hate or just don't care about PSNS.

Archived