Is Passions being cancelled?

• Members

Hogan, please don't think of anything I see in this thread (well, some of it, anyway) as rational. Remember, I am a devoted "Passions" fan who just wants his show, his stories on the air for a longer term. I'll say anything. ANYTHING. (I didn't mention that Frons would cancel "OL" and "GH" to accomodate "Days" and Pash, did I?)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Frons NEVER, I repeat NEVER, is gonna cancel GH for another soap. It has his pet Bob Guza and seems to be his favorite soap. If Passions and Days actually got on ABC I could see AMC and OLTL getting cancelled, but I don't think Passions is going to ABC.

• Members

It wasn't that he was a huge draw to the show, it was because he and Juliet had a special chemistry that made Passions fun to watch. They were daytimes funniest duo. No one could hold a candle to them during 1999 - 2002.

What hurt Passions and is still hurting Passions is that they aren't doing anything with Juliet's character. Tabitha needs to be the center of attention again. The supernatural made the show the best during the first years. Once that left the series, fans left with it. I stopped watching once Timmy died because Tabitha didn't have anything. She became a character that spied on everyone instead of going out and getting involved with the action. I hope Passions is canceled. It serves JER right for ruining my favorite character on the show. They still could have done stuff with Tabitha. I don't like what they did to her and I don't like that this is just another boring soap opera that isn't going anywhere. Passions had a good surprisingly long run and now its time to finish the never ending stories and let the cast move on to better things.

• Members

For the first time, JSF, you're posting with your brain! LoL

I completely agree. JER knows how to write a great show. He knows how to write a superb show. Even Passions at its best doesn't hold the slightest of a candle to his best on Days. Like those Maison Blanche clips I posted... so, so good. His stories were long, but they didn't go in circles like they do on Passions.

I've noticed that JER does this whole "diversion" thing. He doesn't want to progress the MAIN plot, so he'll bring in some smaller conflict, a diversion of sorts, to lure people's attention away from the fact that the IMPORTANT story is on permanent pause. The diversion will last for three months or so, and then by the time it's done, we're right back at Square One and on our way to another diversion. It's just all in circles. Two steps forward, fifteen steps back. There's no reason that he can't write a "different" soap like Passions and make it good, make it can't-miss and important. But for some reason, he just doesn't. Comparing his older works in the 90's to the stuff he does on Passions, it's like comparing Shakespeare to Dr. Seuss. There's just no comparison.

Believe me, I love the man when he's good. I love him more than any other soap writer when he's good, bar none. By alot! I would love to tune into Passions and be just completely enthralled and addicted and obsessed with his stories like I used to be. I've wanted that from a soap for the longest time! And he just isn't bringing it. He hasn't brought it in years.

• Members

Of course Frons would love to get ahold of the #1 soap in 12-24 viewers! Isn't that his target audience right now, since he has stated that ABCD targets the younger viewers?

I could actually so see him getting rid of AMC (since it's the lowest rated in 12-34) and using it as a lead in for One Life to Live and General Hospital. ABCD would have a winning network in the younger demos.

Anyone who thinks they wouldn't dare cancel AMC/OLTL for Passions should think about it from a business standpoint...

PSNS is a cheap show to produce and would only cost a fraction of AMC/OLTL's weekly budget.

It's already estabilshed as the #1 soap in teens and 12-24 demos.

JER owns the show, so there's no messy red tape with NBC

Plus they could ship Erica off to Harmony and start a company to rival Crane industries. Imagine those Theresa/Erica catfights :lol:

^ And if that didn't work They could always reduce it to a half hour and air it at 12:30

• Members

I heard a rumour that if Passions goes off, they will attempt to lure back some of the original actors for a "Battle of the Clones" with the current actors, and it will tie into the Charity/Tabitha battle royale...

Could be interesting..I bet Jade Harlow's Jessica would tear Danica's a new one! :D

• Members

That would be so weird Rion but let's not think about that.

I think we all need to unite because this could result in a domino effect that we all have discussed and have worried about. Even those that don't like Passions or are unhappy with it right now. Unless NBC has another soap coming in to replace Passions, I don't want Passions gone. The show has potential still but things need to change and fast. If NBC really needs to slash budget to keep Passions on, cut some more fat from the show or even make the show a half hour or something.

I don't think ABC would ever cancel AMC or OLTL for Passions. Passions is good in demos but I just don't see them doing it but who knows. ABC would take Days in a heartbeat, especially if it's ratings improve. I would just hate them to go there with Frons there or at the expense of another soap. If Days ever went anywhere, I would want it at CBS but that would also result in a soap cancellation and I just hate that. This is just a horrible situation.

Let's just cross our fingers and hope this is just a rumor like we always get at this time.

• Members

You guys can cross your fingers, but I'll believe what I've been reading which from reliable sources say Passions is finished. JER screwed up his own show and now NBC is pulling the plug. I don't understand how fans put up with JER's bull crap. He toys with us every day. You aren't tired of it? I was tired of the whole Ivy/Sam/Grace/David story and when it was resolved after 5 years it was like so what? Too much time has passed for most of these storylines for some fans to give a damn about.

I hope Juliet Mills continues acting. She's great at playing a comical witch. It would be neat if she got her own spinoff show for primetime with someone other than JER writing the show. I'll miss Tabby.

• Members

Personally, any soap right now that gets trimmed down to 30 minutes again would be *lucky* if the trimming is done right. Agnes Nixon was a firm believer in that expanding soaps to an hour in the 70s was not a good idea, and in the end, she was right. Most of the soaps expanded, ended up adding more and more core families and the focus shifted from long-lasting characters to newer, younger characters. And now most current soaps seem to have two sets of history: pre-1980s and 1980s-and-on.

Whenever I watch B&B, no matter what the stories and stuff are, I always feel like I'm watching something vintage. I love how contained it is. The action in one given episode isn't spread out all over the place. It follows the characters throughout the episode. We don't randomly jump from one story to another to another.

Archived