Y&R July 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What bothers me the most is the endless compliments to, and about, Lola. Kyle has become nothing but compliment factory, that tells her how amazingly wonderful she is, a number of times, each time they're on. Abby is right behind him. She gushes profusely, about every detail of Kyle & Lola's life, and romance.

And every character has to do it. Yesterday, Cane was spitting  out praises of Lola. On a rare Jill return, after Neil's funeral, Traci & Jill were eating at Society, had to be in awe of the marvelous food. Even Chelsea had to say, they never had places like this when I lived her. In all my years of watching soaps I have never seen anything like it. 

Angelica McDaniel's using her position to boost her ego, by fulfilling her vanity project, at the expense of the show should cost her her job.

She also screwed up the place the Emmy photo's were taken, with her stupid paper flowers. She wanted HER Latino influence front & center, so she used giant bright colored flowers as the background for everyone's photo. Well it clashed with many of the women's outfits, and washed out everyone's face. It looked like everyone was inside a fun house. The background is not supposed to overpower the subjects, but she didn't care, it was all about her. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I agree it's ridiculous how a lot of the characters have to constantly  give OTT praise to Lola. They have even had a random dayplayer (the social media influencer character Nazanin) gush over Lola and tell her that she loves her.  Abby doesn't have much of an identity these days outside of being a cheerleader for Lola. She mostly does that sprinkled in with threatening Summer about Lola and spending a little time asking about Victor's health crisis. And a scene here and there with Nate. Abby and Nate's budding romance seems to have been suspended (maybe even dropped). It feels like she may get a scene with him once every two weeks. (If that).

Abby praises Lola too much and Kyle definitely does too. Kyle makes almost every conversation he has about Lola. When her mother asked him about his career, he spun the conversation to Lola, instead of telling his future mother-in-law about himself. Plus, he doesn't seem to work very much anymore and spends a lot of time hovering around Lola, including her restaurant. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

which seems antithetical to the very nature of how Y&R used to write business storylines.  Y&R used to be known for being very specific about their business storylines.  What products were produced, how products were formulated or manufactured or distributed, what decisions were made, how those decisions were reached and what intrigue came as result.  They'd have memos, mock-ups, samples, negatives from photoshoots.  Y&R was known for showing all the conflicts that arose during the process.  It wasn't just like "we have an idea and voilà, now we have a finished product that magically gets to the public (like now).  Bill Bell Sr. wisely knew that often times the conflict and drama arose in getting "there" to the completion stage.  I can't help but think of how different Lauren's Fenmores financial struggle would've been under his pen!

Maybe it's JMO but, in the past, I often got the sense that MS seemed very competitive with many of her fellow women castmates on Y&RSome weird vibes often showed up onscreen between her and SC, VR and even LLB. For the most part, I didn't see it between her and TEB but Lauren and Michael were solidified as a couple at that point and both characters were presented as being on Phyllis' side and even MS must have realized that Phyllis needed friends.

• Members

Remember when the Winters Group bought Dina Mergeron's company for the cosmetics?  

Same with Dark Horse.  They all forgot - just like Dina.  We're all supposed to have Alzheimers with Y&R and B&B at this point.  I really don't watch but I read commentary, summaries and the boards...did Winters ever do anything with what they bought from Dina?  

• Members

Read the recaps and saw some clips, I'm liking what they are now doing with Ana. Though, like you all, I dont like the optics of Devon questioning everything she does but allowing Mariah to do anything she wants. Saying Ans is inexperienced but pumping up Mariah who knows she's inexperienced. I dont think show realizes that this contrast in Devon's behavior is so huge. 

• Members

Random thoughts....

MS is chewing the scenery as always (Yawn).

They don't want to write for Fen or Noah, which is a shame because both would be great on the canvas.

I'm glad all of the random speculation of Ana being 86'd. There is plenty of room for Ana, Elena and you now who on the canvas. There was always room for Lily and the actress speculated to return.   

Was never much of a Chelsea fan, so her return does zilch for me. Don't give a rat's ass about her dead husband, who she called, who comforts her.

I believe they only talked about a hotel to show some Dark Whore I mean Horse (bad)  versus  Newman (good).

I wasn't clamoring for a Kevin return, either. It was such a relief to finally see him leave the canvas. His return has just sent him on a backslide of poor decisions, which they finally stopped doing when he left to care for Chloe. Please go back.

The only way to free Kyle is going to have to be Lola dying.   He's a rich, young guy and there are plenty of young women he could  be mixing it up with  (Mariah, Ana, Bummer) each of whom has 1000x more personality than Lola.

I actually like Traci/Cane, and shame on DG for riling up the Lame fans. Dude, you are getting airtime and are being connected to the Abbotts.   Shut up, do your job, and take the airtime. You could be Sharon Case the last couple of weeks.  I love to see Beth Maitland smile rather than cry, and she has been beaming.   Now let's work on fixing Dina's diagnosis and bring her back to reality.

• Members

Is it just me or does Stafford seem to be very uncomfortable coming back to the role? She comes off as being lost and not interesting at all, and what’s with the whispering?

Chelsea’s husband kicked the bucket already? This story would be far more interesting if this is all just a ploy for a massive con that Adam and Chelsea are planning to pull off, but I don’t think JG is that smart enough  or has the guts to do it.  

Otherwise the story doesn’t make sense at all, Chelsea the great con artist suddenly afraid of Adam and throwing herself in Nick’s arms. Ugh.

• Members

Obviously, JG, AM and AMcD don't trust viewers to draw their own, positive conclusions about Lola, so they have to have every other character on Y&R sing her praises.  It's funny and sad at the same time.

I guess he thinks the fans could pressure TPTB into bringing back CK?  But that wouldn't make any sense if CK had chosen to move on.  So, again, I'm left wondering why he bothered at all.  Actors, lol.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Daniel Goddard fears losing the safety blanket of those rabid LAME fans - they're the ones who've unfortunately kept him employed all these years. He's trying to rile them up to stay relevant and to prove to TPTB that there are people interested in him. Even if that means tanking every story or pairing them give him besides CK. It's really sad and despicable. 

What he doesn't realize is that this could easily backfire on him, it just hasn't up until this point, so he feels he can get away with it. 

Edited by BetterForgotten