Y&R July 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

Not that surprising. She certainly wasn't Chuck Pratt's type. And as far as Sony goes, she is not size zero, blonde and picked by them and not the Bells. Network, etc. always has an aversion to soap lifer kids.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I believe they will be sharing scenes in a little bit. Jordi did shave his face recently and some people believe that is because they want to try and make him look younger against Eva. But IMO, he still doesn't look young enough to be her son.

Edited by xtr

• Members

Not surprising for soaps, but CG cleans up *really well* and that sardonic female lead is in demand pretty much everywhere but soaps these days. Clearly, the show recognizes that she’s talented and wants to play her, and I think Mal liked her a lot. It seems like Angie McD stubbornly wants Lola/Kyle to be some kind of thing (chemistry be damned), which takes Mariah off the table as a Kyle love interest, and there aren’t a lot of viable male (or female) options in her age group. And pan/fluid or not, there are some bad optics about putting Mariah in an opposite-sex relationship, especially in light of how the show retreated after the initial Messa backlash. (And again for some reason this show is all in on keeping Cait Fairbanks around.)

Now the problem is that everything outside of the Nick/Victoria/Billy/Phyllis/Sharon/now-Adam/Chelsea vortex is an afterthought. The show isn’t investing much elsewhere. If other rumored returns take place, things will only get tighter.

• Members

Some people would feel that way, but I wouldn't. Especially since it's never been specified that Mariah is a lesbian. Which I believe it is an intentional move on the part of the show. She could still like men as well. And because IMO Mariah/Tessa have gotten a fair chance as a couple, and yet they don't really work and Tessa is not very likeable. I feel like some people, especially their fans just want them to be together because they want to see two women in a romance, but don't really to care if they are really good for each other or if they have decent chemistry. Their storylines they have now is a bit fluff, but they have gotten attention and a decent amount of focus as a couple. But Tessa is not very good for Mariah. Mariah is not my favorite character by any means, but she can do better than Tessa. I do think that show should consider putting her with Kyle even it's some time down the line.   Mariah should not have to be stuck with Tessa for a very long time (which I could actually see happening.) 

And I think that in addition to the people that you mentioned this show still focuses entirely too much on Kyle/Lola. Though they are start being shown a little less and their fans are now complaining about that. And I've actually seen fan of theirs complain that they are upset that for the past couple of weeks Kyle and Lola haven't been on four days a week, like they have been before. The entitlement of that fanbase is ridiculous after this couple has been shoved down viewers throats for several months, lol. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

I think that Mama Rosales is boring, and I did think that her scenes with Kyle & Lola today felt like some sort of cheesy sitcom. Kyle was looking so fake and lathering it on trying to impress her. He was doing too much. I also think she's controlling and didn't care for her telling him he couldn't come back to an apartment he's paying rent for, even after she found out him and Lola were living together. Her not wanting them to live together isn't soapy, unless this was a soap in the 1950s.

I think that Celeste would be way more interesting if she were a golddigger. Or at the very least tried to pursue Jack. She could have even been written to as a lonely type who would have connected with Jack who recently has been labeled as lonely (by Lauren.) They could have gotten caught up together romantically and tried to hide the romance from Kyle/Lola to not make them feel uncomfortable. Maybe they could have tried to stop seeing each other and could have struggled with that. Any of this would have been more interesting than this storyline about her trying to keep and Kyle from living together. But Celeste can't be written as more interesting, because the show won't let hardly anyone try and make Lola look bad. So she's stuck doing boring stuff with Kyle/Lola.

Also, I don't care for the way that Ana has been written lately and I think that her character has regressed underneath Josh. She's been coming across as really young lately, especially in today's show. I felt like the writing is almost portraying./treating her more like a teenager than a young but fully grown woman. Hopefully, the writing for her will improve once:

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by xtr

• Members

Not quite sure what the long term plan is for Kyle/Lola?

Summer as a spoiler has been dealt with and Mama is hardly Vanessa Prentiss, so the wedding is going ahead - then what?

Lots of cheesy newlywed scenes and then manafactured 'conflicts'?

• Members

I think they should be backburned as a couple. (Kyle as an individual can still be used in business and Abbott family storylines) IMO, they need to be backburned after they get married. There really isn't any thing interesting that can be done with them, and a lot of that is largely because of the way that Lola is written. She's boring and has very little depth to her. But that's what happens when she's rarely ever written to be wrong or hardly called out for anything. And when people keep constantly kissing her behind. And now her mother IMO is basically an older version of her, (uptight & boring) and people (especially Kyle) trying to kiss her behind. 

It seems like Josh is really struggling to write anything interesting for them, that's why they are digging through trash and acting out storylines that would be soapy in 1955. I feel like eventually Summer should/may be moved out of their orbit. Whether that's with Theo or maybe even possibly a recast Chance. So I don't know what's going to happen with them once that happens. Except more of the same boring, cheesy, goofy stuff, they've been doing.

Edited by xtr

• Members

Backburning Kyle and Lola? Sorry, that’s not going to happen. I don’t like their story, either, but they’re not going away. I do give Michael Mealor credit for not checking out during his scenes. I can’t imagine he’s happy with his character, but he’s still working hard. This Sasha who plays Lola? Just not a good actress. She seems fake to me.

i don’t care that Mama Rosales looks the same age as Rey. We’ve dealt with this age thing a dozen times on the show, most recently with a Lily and the twins. We’ll get used to it.

i enjoyed Thursday’s U.S. show. Only mentioning it because others didn’t like it. I’m just enjoying the show a lot these days, flaws aside.

The carnival set is terrific, and the scenes shot there have been really well-directed and produced. A lot of money went into that set and on extras, and it paid off. I did expect some bigger plot element there, but that aside, I still loved it.

• Members

Josh is struggling to write for the show period - hence why it revolves around one character (Adam) at the moment and everyone else not in that orbit has no direction and is threading water. This is not good or particularly balanced writing. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Puzzling that the carnival set was only used for 2 eps. Surely quite expensive to design and assemble, let alone all the extras used.

Meanwhile Crimson Lights looks like a wasteland with one employee and one customer and the Newmans and Abbotts have no household staff.

Has GCAC gone?