Y&R July 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

I'll admit the Kyle and friends party was good. We need to see more of this stuff. Even Lola was tolerable here. The ending killed it though.

Replace Stafford with Sandra Nelson - my rant continues.

Edited by StepBack

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Loren looks really good in the opening credits: 

Please register in order to view this content

I'm guessing someone like Sasha Calle/Lola will be added next. 

Edited by xtr
added opening credits video

• Members

Stafford is horrible! She is failing at all levels and whispering too much. Who thought to bring her back again? 

I wish the show could properly utilize Paul and Christine so much better. 

Everything about Adam and Chelsea so far has been incompletely illogical, and the storyline is failing.

Nick needs to die. 

In other words, Josh Griffin ain't [!@#$%^&*] as head writer for the umpteenth time. If we're in any luck, Griffin doesn't last long, his stints on Y&R in 2008 and 2012-13 went awry and let's not speak of his Days' 2015 stint. 

• Members

I kept wondering how Gina wouldve played the scenes with LLB. Crickets line about Phyliss running someone down was only used because Staff was back in the role. Those scenes fell flat because of the Staff.

She is over the top with her arms flying all over the place and her goofy faces she makes that she calls acting.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I like MS and I think she can be a great actress, but I really couldn't stomach seeing her in that scene with Christine. Her acting choices and mannerisms have literally thrown all the character development that Gina Tognoni made out of the window and practically regressed to 2012.

Michelle just doesn't fit in this role anymore. Gina would probably have delivered the wit and sarcasm without swinging arms, being loud, exaggerating whispers, and over-enunciating "Cricket" with finesse and conviction.

• Members

I thought the Kyle pool party scene inside the Abbott house was ridiculous. All those wet bodies? They climbed out of the pool and walked dripping wet through the house? Just no. Either have a pool set or have a party without swimming. The whole thing was stupid.

The drama started by Mama Rosales is so lame. They can’t tell this woman she can’t live with Lola? Or to stop talking? I also don’t understand her designer dresses.

i absolutely love Gina Tognoni, but I’m enjoying Stafford in the role. She’s chewing scenery, but so what? She chews it well, and that scene between Phyllis and Christine was gold. I think her return has been a success.

Chelsea and Nick aren’t exciting, but I don’t LOATHE them the way so many people do. I honestly think the hatred for them goes too far when the Kyle and Lola coupling is so much worse.

Continued good work done by Eric Braeden and Melody Thomas Scott.

• Members

the only scene I saw this week...had changed the channel during a Wimbledon commercial(s)...should have watched the commercials.  I saw Lola left and Summer reverted to a horny teenager.  I hate both characters...I've never liked Summer and all they ever do is revert her into a teenage, horny, brat.  Back to Wimbledon I went.  

• Members

Which is why, in a way, I was surprised when Summer was brought back because they've always had this problem.  The writing for both characters was often indistinguishable the last time Summer was on the show.

There used to be the same problem with Chloe and Chelsea.

Does this show really have that much of a problem writing for two female characters in similar/the same age group?

• Members

Every line out of each character’s mouth on this show is utterly predictable. And not in a “I know these characters so well, so I can anticipate their responses” kind of way, but in a “This show is written by the numbers” kind of way. Those Celeste/Kyle/Lola scenes were the epitome of writers phoning it in. There was no shading, no specificity or individuality to how the characters spoke. Don’t bother if you’re just going to write dry dialogue meant for high school acting exercises.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I can't say I really care about Lola and her drama with her parents. I don't care that Celeste wants to date her actual husband. I don't even care for Lola's feelings regarding her father, because I don't like Lola and we've never even met the father. And plus the drama with her parents just gives Lola another excuse to act angry and sanctimonious and I've seen enough of that during her relationship with Kyle. I already don't care for this story and I may end up liking Papa Rosales more than I do Lola, in spite of the issues he has. I would rather see Celeste mixing it up with different people on canvas like Jack than being isolated to her family and Kyle. I feel like her character isn't being utilized well in this storyline. 

And the only person I can kind of tolerate Lola with in scenes his Rey. He doesn't let her push him over, like she does Kyle and I think they have a believable relationship.

Also, I was glad to see Faith again. I'm glad she's back and hope she's shown more.

Edited by xtr