Y&R July 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

I watched that episode in full and Beth sold the story so well.

When Traci talked about what Cane brought to her life the emotion and delivery was all there .Meanwhile Cane just stood there like a corpse. i wasn't sure exactly what the scene meant as DG was not conveying what Cane felt. Did he want to pursue something with Traci and if so was it genuine or was he just lonely and needy??

I think Traci needs to make more connections on the canvas to becoming the matriach of the show. That shouldn't rule out romance however.

Eileen is another actress who shines onscreen. Glad she's agreeable to more appearances.

The whole Jack at loose ends story seems more about not knowing what to do with him next.

Same with Kyle/Lola. She seems so dull compared to Kyle.

Don't mind Nate/Abby.SD again has a great screen presence and works well with MO.

Could have done without the cliche French background music in the Paris scenes.

Speaking of music, are they using any of the old cues? There needs to be more music as some scenes seem lifeless w/o the underscore.

Phyllis is such a reptile. Slithering around town with that attitude.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Frankly, at this point, Y&R may want to put Can with

Reiterating what I said before, it doesn't bode well for the health of a show going forward when any one character in what is ostensibly an ensemble cast can force the writers, including the head-writer to take a meeting regarding suggestions on story line ideas.  Bill Bell Sr. never did that, which is one of the reasons why the show had such a highly successful run.

As a writer, I'd never want to write by committee, IMO, it usually ends up producing a bad quality product.  Ever watch a movie where there was too much input from too many people?  Hint:  they usually tank at the box office.

Y&R needs to nip this type of thing in the bud but I doubt they will, it's already gone on too long and too far.

• Members

I really did not like the way that Lola acted on today's show towards Theo and Kyle. She was very rude and smug with Theo when she grilled him about Kyle's past. She told him that she didn't know if she could find him trustworthy and was smug with the way she treated him. Theo has always treated Lola nicely and he is Kyle's friend after all. There was no need for her to talk to him in the manner that she did. Plus she is the one that sought him out to ask questions about Kyle's past instead behind his back. And then at the end of today's show she gave Kyle an attitude when she asked him about his past. 

And when she told him that she needed to know who he really is before she married him. Once again, she is looking for something to berate him for and act judgmental and like she is too good for him. Lola is insufferable. I don't really think she should be digging in his past like this unless she suspects he was involved in criminal behavior, or did something really bad. And/or she suspects he is or will do the same stuff again. Other than that I think she needs to let his past go, especially since it seems like he was mostly just immature and a bit wild. Kyle has changed and doesn't act the way he used to before he met Lola. I Think she needs to accept him as he is or let him be free to be with someone who will. 

Also I felt bad for Phyllis today during her conversation with Summer. Once again the show is having Summer lash out at Phyllis and mistreat her. And while I'm not a fan of Phyllis and Phyllis has definitely done her share of bad things, I do think that a lot of the animosity that Summer is aiming at her is unwarranted. I don't like seeing Summer be at odds with her mother again. (Like she was with GT's Phyllis underneath Mal) 

And I thought that everyone looked nice at the Newman dinner today. I did think it was kind of amusing when Adam showed up and everyone told him to leave that even Nate said something. Nate kind of gave his own version of "get to stepping" when the people at the table were telling Adam to leave. lol. Nate looked good and I do like him and Abby. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

lol. He was so much better and more interesting before Lola. And he still had a caring side as well. I thought that was evident in his support/friendship with Mariah. Lola has dragged him down and continues to make him feel bad about who he is and now was in the past. I don't think that she should be digging his past the way that she is. Unless she suspects it's something criminal (which she doesn't), is being threatened by someone (she isn't) or suspects he will do it again. (which I actually think she doesn't). She is just looking for something to be upset with him about and berate him for. And she is already acting squeamish at the thought of him being immature/partying/dating lots of women. Which is regular behavior and not anything criminal or super terrible.

But she can't handle who Kyle was as a young single man in NY. Even though that is before he met her and he's changed since then. And has not acted that way at all since they have begin together. I'm not sure what exactly his secrets are from New York, but I don't think they are bad enough to warrant this type of interrogation/questioning from Lola. She is so immature and I really believe she should be single until she matures more. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

Yeah, something along those lines or some other criminal behavior. Other than stuff like that I'm not concerned about his past. Especially since he's changed and is not doing the same stuff anymore. It sounded like he was mostly immature than anything. I don't think that Lola should be trying to dig in his past (let alone behind his back) like this. And being that she gets upset of every little thing, including positive things, she will wish she hadn't. And he will be the one who will have to suffer as she berates him again, this time for stuff he's done in the past.

Edited by xtr

• Members

Today was the first day I actually enjoyed Traci/Cane. Beth Maitland was good here.

Also, I hope Kyle tells Lola to F off. This character is INFURIATING.

NO GOD WHY NO!!!!!

Edited by StepBack

• Members

The only two people they have added so far are Loren Lott and Sasha. Though, people have been questioning and even jumping up in the actresses mentions complaining about why characters like Tessa and Kyle haven't been added yet. It looks like they are adding people slowly, so far it looks like's been one person per week added. And both Loren and Sacha were surprised but grateful that they were added to the credits. They didn't find out they were added until the day ahead shows aired in Canada.