Y&R April 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

I disagree about Chelsea. That's like another hope coming to town and no one remembering Adam's mother was named hope. No one will forget Adam means no one will forget he has a son named Connor Adam Newnan, which means no one will forget his mother's name is Chelsea.  That's the entire point of giving these unconnected women anchor babies. 

That's true. The rise of the anti-hero ruined soaps. 

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't see why there seems to be a need with Y&R to see Devon as poor. There's so much that can be done with the character, including bringing characters who may be his family(the ones he thought were family before Dru and Neil took him in) and past acquaintances from before he was on our screens. 

• Members

Not poor, but Devon easily could've been placed at Newman or Jabot (forget CI) as a young, hungry man with something to prove. They could've had him going to college at night or online (while working) to better himself. He would've been a great example of someone who had to earn his way up - face the challenges of rising to the top in a family-owned business (the way Neil was forever blocked at Newman). 

There were tons of better options that would have served the character better than the ridiculous Tucker daddy (a retcon character) and gaining the inheritance from a legacy family that made zero sense (like Jill and Fenmores). Devon was already tied to the Winters family, which isn't exactly poor.

Frankly, I'm surprised Bryton is still on considering the way the character has been dismissed over the year.  I realize a lot of his past listless acting came from the fact that he rarely had cohesive storylines. Pairing him with MiM certainly changed that and it shows.  

• Members

I just want to say that even back in the Bell days the Winters were also only paired with black characters. Nor do I see a problem with it. I don't need to see an interracial couple just for the sake of diversity. Plus, when they tried Victoria/Neil the backlash was loud apparently.

• Members

Wow, what? That's the impression I'm getting around here. For diversity to work, we need to pair a black and white character together. I think we've lost track of what diversity is, when we focus on one aspect of it.

I would rather see a powerful black couple. Powerful asian couple. Powerful gay couple. That is why I like Hilary/Devon when written right. That is why Dru and Neil worked for the most part. I like that the Winters finally have a family company that is thriving. The Winters have gotten some pretty lame stories, but they're one of the better all around families on the show.

Hell, weren't people annoyed that Lily is married to a white man? I remember the whole CK won't pair with black actor stuff around here. This board is very indecisive. 

Archived