Y&R April 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd agree with that.

The Winters household is the only so-called "core" family that has never truly had a matriarch.

Dru and Olivia would be in the matriarch hierarchy if either/both were still on the show.

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like the affordable housing Z story seems more in line with what HWG would be about?

At various times I kept think, who is more likely to know more about affordable housing?  Nick or Devon? Seems like Y&R missed a chance there.

• Members

I agree with this. That's exactly the impression this place gives off. Many think that in order for Hilary to be relevant she's got to be paired with a white male Newman or Abbot. Dru surely didn't and neither does Hilary, if you take note. MiM's on 3 to 4 days a week queening it up with her camp like only a soap star can. She's a true lead on this show in her own right and doesn't need Billy, Nick, or Jack to get story. 

It feels like they wrote the story for Devon but gave it to Nick instead. It helps that Devon is in on the development. 

That became moot when Devon was adopted by the Winters. Why would Devon go to night school when he's got an affluet daddy to pay for college? 

@DeeeDee is right. 

There has been a huge push for at least a decade for Neil to stop being the Newman lacky and own a business. He's finally got that. It's not 1991 anymore. Sentiments change.  Having Devon recreate Neil's story would have been met with loads of resistance. And there really isn't a place for him at those companies anymore. Too many adult offspring floating around. Who would expect Devon to run Newman when Victor has 4 adult kids and adults grandkids? Same for Jaabot. The cancas is totally different now. There isn't even a real place for Neil. 

• Members

This is why I always preferred Guiding Light (The Coopers) later...and World Turns (even moreso) with the Snyders.  At the time the media and magazines -they slammed both shows in favor of Y&R and B&B...the sets for being "not pretty"  "not well lighted"  But you know what - Y&R and B&B have struggled with having 'normal' families on the show.  In the early days it was the Fosters on Y&R.  The Logans on B&B.  But they can never sustain it the way GL and ATWT did.  I know they're gone.  I'll mourn forever but there was nothing like it.  There still isn't.  Y&R and B&B struggle with having anyone like your Mom or Dad on the show.  Tell me someone on either show that is Kathleen Widdoes (Emma Snyder - ATWT).???  There isn't one person on B&B or Y&R that seem like your Mom or your Dad.  Hell, brothers or sisters either. 

• Members

I don't want to see my mom or dad or brothers or sisters on my daytime soap. I get enough of them in real life. Soaps are my escape. I want to live rich, beautiful, sexy vicariously through these characters. Maybe I'm a unique in that. Lol

• Members

ATWT & GL weren't business centered shows in the way Y&R and B&B evolved into which makes comparing them difficult.

With Y&R and B&B their issues happened when their respective shows morphed their previously ensemble canvases to one  "main" family with everyone else reduced to supporting roles.

And over the last 15 years Y&R has become a perfect example of the disaster that happens when those very decisions are coupled with actors who aren't able to carry their shows.

• Members

Now I get it, you miss your shows...

I agree that ATWT and GL excelled at what they did, and I enjoyed them for that. Y&R is a different beast and excels at what it does (or did). I enjoyed the bravada of Y&R so to speak. The big confrontations, masterful revelations, and the dialogue/writing is what got me tuning in. 

It is better with seeing Nikki and Nick give back on Y&R, because everyone on the show is too well connected. That’s also why Cane/Lily money trouble for a couple episodes fell short. Heck, even with Lauren’s “story” that fell short too having to go to Victor for that money. 

• Members

I wasn’t a Guiding Light fan back then.  But thanks to YouTube I’ve seen a lot of the Curlee era.  It’s  just great.

I enjoyed Y&R and my entry character was Nina’s early stories.  She was unique on the show because she was more grounded, especially when she was surrounded by Katherine and Jill.

I always found most of Bill Bell’s characters on Y&R to be icy.  Nina and Drucilla being the biggest outliers to that.  The rest a little removed.  I still found his show entertaining, but there is no comparison to something like Curlee’s GL or Labine’s GH, which lead from heart in a way his writing did not.  When I see clips of the original version of Y&R, there is more warmth and traditional family.  But I didn’t watch it back then.

• Members

@ajsp35801 You're correct - these are affluent and influential families and they'd give their children every opportunity to succeed. I suggested 'night school' or online for Devon because soaps don't do college for on-canvas characters. Seriously, like Victoria and Nick wouldn't have gone to college? Zero chance. Adam went to college/MBA because he wasn't there. Devon and Lily would've gone on for higher ed. I have no idea if they sent Abby to college.   

Neil, Jack, Ashley and Adam always had serious and believable business credibility because they were educated. 

• Members

JT is a master manipulator and to see him pull Victor's plug was eerie. The story has a number of layers, making it pretty compelling. Adding Kyle into the fold has made it even better. Seeing him all comfy in Jack's chair, looking pretty cute might I add, was sly. One thing that's missing is a little more Traci. I hope we get to see her again soon.

• Members

See..I don't think anyone is saying that there should be an interracial couple purely for the sake of "diversity".  The issue is the treatment/writing of white characters vs black characters in daytime.  White privilege.  It's real.  

Archived