Y&R April 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But I don't necessarily trust Dina's rants or Mal's pen. I was hoping that someone had seem them interact in the 80's. 

Disappearing...And being forgettable. 

I never thought about it but you're right. She doesn't even act like she lost a cousin either. It feels like it all happened to a different character. 

• Members

The sad thing is the character is a virtual blank slate and would be easy to write for, especially if they'd free him of his exclusivity with Jabot and have him freelance.  Maybe Kyle decides that Jabot's systems are working well and that they don't need him full-time (over Phyllis and Lauren's objections) and lets him out of his contract, that would allow the character to work with different companies and interact with different characters.  Ashley hears about this and wants him to do some work for NE (I mean, JT's not there anymore, is he

Please register in order to view this content

) provided he sign a confidentiality contract. 

Phyllis and Hilary are having lunch at the GCAC and they spot Ravi sitting alone and Phyllis recounts what happened to Ravi.  Phyllis, sends a waiter to Ravi's table to pick up the tab.  Ravi stops by to offer his gratitude and says that he has decided to freelance and will be doing some contract work for Jabot but he's still nervous about the paycut that he will be taking.  Phyllis mentions that the development that Nick, Jack, Devon et al., are working on may have need for his services and promises to ask Nick about it.  Ravi is grateful.

Meanwhile HWG's streaming service has a crisis--some sort of backdoor data breach or illegal downloads and when she overhears Devon complain about dissatisfaction with the outsourcing company handling the streaming's interweb, etc. They've gotten a hold of some of Simone's practice demos and are putting them out there.  Simone is mortified, Devon is worried.  When Hilary discovers this, she considers the fact that Simone could leave town with her tail tucked between her legs, ridding Hilary her of Simone but considers the damage that could be done to the company and suggests Ravi to come in and fix the problem.  That could also put Ravi and Simone in each other's orbit, if any cares.  That's what I came up with off the top of my head.  If I had time to think it out, I'd like have something better in mind.

As you shouldn't.  When I started watching as a child in the mid-late 80s, Dina wasn't much on the scene.  I remember Joanna, I even vaguely recall Neil Fenmore (albeit not much), but I haven't the slightest recollection of Dina and Joanna interacting while I was a viewer.  

We know that these soap writers love their retcons and don't give the slightest hoot whether it actually happened.  Regardless of whether it happened or not, they'll write it into being with no consideration of past history.  As much as Lauren used to interact with the Abbott's (she and Jack briefly dated), one would think that if their mothers couldn't stand one another, that would've been an issue.

Still, it would've been interesting if Joanna did show up and had no earthly idea why Dina was showing her such contempt and perhaps admits that their interactions were very limited.

Still, like you, I don't trust Mal's pen to have any sort of nuance or delicate touch.  He, similar to Pratt, tends to wield a sledgehammer more than a pen.

• Members

Brock/Beau Kayseri deserved a good sendoff, but it’s too late. The time to do it was right after the actor died. At this point, a one episode “goodbye to Brock” won’t work. If we can’t get flashbacks during an anniversary celebration, I don’t want lame goodbyes.

• Members

Thats just Kyle. Everything with the writing for him has always been so calculated to make him this strong business rival for Jack and a romantic lead but it just always rings false. He’s more stilted than ever now but it’s just a failed character. They need to just forget he exists at this point. 

• Members

The actor looks just way too young. He looks 15 running the world. If other characters were treating him as a recalcitrant spoiled child acting out invoking exasperated sighs of tolerance  every where he went as opposed to a legitimate threat, I'd buy it. 

Someone told me they have recreated Chuck Bass in the Kyle character. I never watched Gossip Girl to know if that's how he spoke. But considering the Big Little Lies ripoff, I won't question their assessment. Lol

• Members

You're right. That never actually crossed my mind until you mentioned it. Weird

I don't watch Big Little Lies, but I think it's a good thing to tell this story (especially in daytime). It sure as hell beats doppelgängers. 

EDIT: I probably should not have read the previews for next week, sigh....

• Members

I’m finishing the week up and these scenes between Nikki and Jill are some of the worst. This made up feud is silly and the way they’re written and most of the older women via Mal is very one dimensional and childish. It’s clearly sexist that the older women are all written as jokes but Jack and Victor are still allowed to be powerful and desirable. Also, how do you have a tribute to Katherine and send her granddaughter out of town the day before?

On the subject of the abuse story being an almost exact copy of another, the biggest problem is not a domestic abuse story but the fact that it makes no sense for the characters. It only makes sense now that we know they’re trying to recreate a prime time show. That’s why it didn’t make sense. There were ways to successfully tell the story but that wasn’t t heir goal. 

• Members

The Jill and Nikki fight was fun. Silly? Yeah. So what. I laughed, and then appreciated Esther saying Mrs. C. would’ve loved it.

And sorry, but Jack and Victor aren’t portrayed as powerful and desirable. They can be as childish as Jill and Nikki, and their wounds are mostly self-inflicted.

Mal and the writers have done a good job, in my opinion, of making the domestic abuse story work for Victoria and J.T.  We’ve been given reasons that they’ve lost themselves and ended up here. Victoria even said last week that she’s not the kind of person who’d put up with abuse.

I don’t like out of character writing any more than anyone else, but characters also have to be allowed to breathe a little. Victoria doesn’t ALWAYS have to be the toughest person in the room. She doesn’t ALWAYS have to be in complete control.

• Members

I’m glad you enjoyed it, my opinion is different from yours and it’s valid. I have high standards for what I expect as someone who has been watching this show almost my entire life. If you enjoy the endless plot holes and out of character moments that’s on you. 

There is a way to show other sides to a character in a way thats smart, funny and makes sense. I don’t see that from Mal’s Y&R

• Members

And nothing wrong with that, fellow Marlo fan.

Please register in order to view this content

Agree with everything. However...and I am surprised by it...I've been enjoying Mal's Y&R for the last few weeks other than the story mentioned.

Archived