Y&R April 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Playing catch up:

Man JT Hawaii is awesome, I can't blame him for going there. But JT damn he's so pathetic. Thad has been phenomenal in his return. I wish him ALL THE BEST in his future career. He put all the other leading man to shame.

I enjoyed the Girls Night Out. Lame that Mariah couldn't just say she was bisexual though. Amelia Heinle rocked her scenes today. 

I'm warming up to Kyle. 

Of course Victor has to have a younger woman too. Blah. Didn't care for any of that or Paul's giddiness. 

• Members

I know many have been praising Amelia throughout the story (I’ve been more ambivalent), but today was the first time I was fully invested in her. Emmy No. 3 is pretty much hers for the taking.

But yeah they’ve shoehorned these characters together to mimic BLL. In BLL, a bunch of women who have complicated relationships (and in the case of Madeline/Renata, actively hate each other) team up to take down “toxic masculinity,” and here we are. JT and Victoria’s dialogue felt natural, but the conversations between Nikki, Sharon, and Phyllis veered into the cringeworthy, especially Sharon, who was there to assuage the audience’s doubts about why a “strong woman” like Victoria would endure JT’s abuse. It was just so obvious.

• Members

Going by the actors and actresses performances alone the last 3 days, it has been great soap.  Everyone has really brought it and it's been completely entertaining and watchable.  

The standout today was TL.  He's going to be missed; there's no other young leading man like him on the show now and it's going to leave a hole come next week.  He's been really impressive.  His reasons for disliking Victor are understandable and the writers did a good job with dialogue not just today but the majority of the week.

I will say that there are similarities to other stories on other shows, but hasn't that been the case for years?  I remember when I first got hooked on GL - it was the only soap I watched.  Then,  I had an opportunity to catch SFT (which at one time came on right before GL) and remember thinking "gee - that story is like so-and-so on GL".  Same when I started watching some earlier Y&R.  Do we really expect the writers to come up with new, fresh stories for a genre that's been around for over 70 years???  

Clearly, he ain't dead.

• Members

For me, the imitation here just feels ham-fisted because it doesn’t feel that organic. It just feels like another instance of soap writers clumsily striving to replicate something on premium or streaming (like LML killing off John for the Six Feet Under knockoff). There’s just so much self-loathing among soap writers, it feels. Mal seems to admit as much in that SOD podcast. I get that soaps need to advance with the times, but sometimes I think they take the wrong lessons from primetime and forget why people would gravitate towards soaps in the first place. 

• Members

I made a joke about Nikki being the one to kill JT a month or two ago. Love that it actually went down that way.  The woman is a straight up serial killer. 

Please register in order to view this content

I agree. It''s pretty outlandish overall.  I've seen worse and I've basically been desensitized over the years, but this is long term damage for little reward.

If Victor is faking as some people suggest I will be even more disgusted. Why would he ever leave Victoria in jeopardy?

• Members

Maybe you're right. In some ways the damage was done long ago. I'm just not very invested these days. Not when characters I've known for so long can just change on a dime.  That didn't start with this story though. I won't deny that.

Archived