Y&R April 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe the answer might be for someone to start a Cheerleading Thread.  I'm not trying to be condescending or anything, I'm serious.

There are some sites (I won't name them) where people start threads to praise what they like about the show.  Those threads are effusive in praise and are non-critical.

In the Cheerleading Thread, people can offer effusive, non-critical comments, leaving the Discussion threads for discussion and deconstruction of writing technique and story ideas, execution, etc.

• Members

Talk about an about-face in record time for Devon/Hilary.  Last week they were making a baby together and today, Condescending Devon shows up.  

Please register in order to view this content

Due to what Hilary told day player Simone.  GMAFB.  And how in the fvck is Devon getting the agreement thrown out over this bs?

I see the beginnings of Sharon/Nick/Phyllis.  Ugh.

• Members

The Devon and Hillary merry go round really does neither character any favors. The chemistry between the two actors isn't enough to get over this [!@#$%^&*]-tastic tired writing they get every-other episode.

• Members

I thought the writing and acting was pretty stilted in that Katherine scene, but it was amusing just the same. It actually reminded me of one of those outdoor GL scenes in the later years. Good point on the Mackenzie oversight! It didn't take me out of the scene, but it would have been much appreciated to have her there. 

I don't blame you. I watch the show, come here and immediately it's a wave of depression lol. Reminds me of Toronto sports fan. Fanbase tends to be the team's own worst enemy at times lol 

I definitely agree with much of what you said. 

And how great were those scenes with Sharon/Victoria today? Sharon Case has been rocking!

See, this is just uncalled for. We cannot call out others for the constant complaining about the show, but by all means everyone else is ready with daggers to tell us how wrong we are. At the end of the day, Y&R is a business. Mal takes his orders from upstairs and has to adjust accordingly for ratings. It's not like a decade or 2 ago.

I think we all have high standards and want to see the show do well. However, Y&R has changed a lot over it's tenure (some good times, some bad times). I'm thankful we have long-time vets LEADING stories, and doing a great job. Things feel fresh. I'm not excited by all the changes, but for the most part the show has been good. The constant wave of negativity and looking for minute things to complain about gets tiresome (just as I'm sure some find my defending it tiresome lol). 

Can you imagine having friends who were critical all the time? I'd quickly move on. It becomes just as stale, boring and repetitive as the cheerleading. It all becomes too toxic when you take an extreme on either side (just like the state of affairs in the USA). There are too many things to complain about, I look at Y&R for a bit of escape. I'm not looking for doppelgängers. I'm looking for good acting and at least decent writing. 

• Members

Thanks fir the details

All the women are jokes. Not just the older ones. 

Hilary is Junior High School as well. Very petty stuff all over canvas with every woman. Its almost a given that if you see two women in the scene together, the purpose is for them to be mean and snarky with each other. 

• Members

Did anyone else notice that it looked like Hilary had a prescription bag in her hand in today's episode. I wonder if it had prenatal vitamins it. Also, I wonder what she was drinking at the bar.  Maybe a soda? It had a lime in it.

I still wonder if Hilary is already pregnant. She did look very upset today after Devon told her their plan to have a baby is off. I wonder if she looked that way because he doesn't want to try anymore OR she's already pregnant by him and she's not sure what to do now.  Granted he did mention the deal could still be on if "she's already pregnant", but maybe she might still be nervous to tell him about that after the way he talked to her.

• Members

+1

And even she spends much of her time going back and forth with Phyllis  over Nicholas. 

Hilary's entire purpose for writers is manipulating and scheming. If she's already pregnant, then she has nothing to do. The show can't have that. So, my prediction is Hilary is not pregnant so that she can lie, cheat, scheme, manipulate to become so. That's the point of the story. 

Oh yeah, and that was water with lime  at that bar. She asked Devon to order it before she went to the bathroom. I'm sure she took a pregnancy test. 

• Members

I never said your opinion wasn’t valid. You have high standards? Uh...doesn’t mean that I don’t. My disagreement with you doesn’t mean I “enjoy endless plot holes and out of character moments.” 

I realize you don’t agree with me,  If my tone upset you, I apologize, but I don’t think your tone is exactly fan-friendly.

“That poster” is me. Apparently I’ve bothered you — again.

I don’t care if others disagree with me. I don’t expect anyone to agree with me. All I did was offer my opinion, which differed from Chris’. That’s it. I thought that was permissible and expected on a forum discussion.

I’d be glad to hear your opinion about Y&R and why you disagree with me. I’m not so interested in your shade and snark. 

• Members

StepBack, I agree with a great deal of what you’ve said. 

I’m critical about a many elements of Y&R, but it’s still the best soap on the air, and there’s a lot to be happy about these, although at times it’s difficult to tell that from this board. Criticism about everything — all the time — is tiring to read, at least for me. Sometimes I just need to weigh in with a “You know, things are not all that bad.”

Archived