Y&R April 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Reardons were infinitely more interesting than those Cooper asshats that ate the show.  The only one that was tolerable was Frank.  Harley wasn't bad when she was first introduced but good god in later years, she was horrid.  And Buzz?  UGH.

But that's a discussion for the GL thread I guess lol 

Exactly.  

You're reading my mind today 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

JMO but as a writer (yes, I went to school for this...shocking!) I find it infinitely more interesting and motivating to write for an "ordinary" character vs. a titan of industry.  

For example, a person who is MOTU and has every tool at his/her disposal faces a problem, the solutions and resolutions are easy and downright basic to write.

An ordinary person from a hardscrabble background who is still somewhat living by his or her wits might meet a crisis in ways that require much more imagination or tact in how they are written.

Not that it's impossible to write a compelling story for a character who has so much access to resources but on a show that is a continuing drama where you must constantly keep the ball rolling, without those 'average Joes/Janes', the storytelling can and likely will become as redundant, predictable and dull as dishwater.  Then again, maybe some people crave that predictability. 

Most writers don't though, even if they dutifully continue to tap out stories.

• Members

I know some folks don't like Hevon much nor Hilary's connection to Devon and the Winters, but you can thank Hevon fans organizing and campaigning for that.  They came out the gate swinging when TPTB pushed Hilary to Neil instead and have never stopped. And boy has the show spit in their face for forcing the issue. 

• Members

I enjoyed today's show.

I also thought that Thad continue to do a good job of displaying JT as manipulative. He did a good job of having JT act like he really cared about Victoria but trying to turn her against Victor. We also saw JT express more blame towards Victor about Colleen's death and explain more of his motivation for disliking Victor.

And I really enjoyed New Kyle and Hilary interacting again. They've got good chemistry together. Including them being mischievous together, even though DeVon and Simone saw through what they were doing. I wonder what will end up happening in this storyline.

I could see DeVon and Simone falling for each other and Kyle falling for Hilary and that could complicate this situation. I had thought maybe they might end up having Hilary have a miscarriage, but maybe she doesn't. Maybe an obstacle her and Devon may deal with is they fall for other people during the pregnancy. And/or have other people fall for them.

New Kyle is fun and charming. I don't think he's going to do evil things like Adam did (at least not anytime soon.) I think he's more slick than anything and enjoys having power.

• Members

But most of those people you listed did go to college. Nick did. He and Sharon both. But she dropped out cause she was pregnant. He finished.  Devon and Lily both did. Devon and Neil were at odds about his major. Music or business? Devon graduated but lily didn't. Victoria didn't. She worked her way up from the mailroom. Who can forget her and Brandon Collins? (* me making calf eyes*). 

Abby was recasted with an MBA. Much like Kyle. 

• Members

And I hate to say so, well not really, but I called the show throwing Hilary in a romantic scenario with Kyle to try to make him look hot. The guy is barely on a week and they already have Hilary kissing him. MiM has to carry everything on her narrow cute shoulders. And Hilary always looks terrible to make it happen. I wouldn't be surprised if they have sex next week. Same crap they did  with DK/Jordan 

• Members

Kyle/Hilary were fun. Not sure how I feel yet on where this is going with them.

Simone has an incredibly voice. 

Thad Luckinbill continues to kill the material. I guess he's trying to get a good reel put together for primetime. That last scene, music, acting, writing were all great. I hate seeing JT going down this dark path, but I was never really close to the character to begin with. As much as I'm enjoying the story (one of the better ones in awhile), I hope they don't continue to feature it every day. It needs to catch it's breath too. 

Good way to end the week!

• Members

I actually think they may not sleep together anytime soon. Unless maybe the show is going for a WTD storyline with Kyle/Devon. I wonder if Hilary is already pregnant with Devon's baby, given that Simone gave him an ultimatum today to not try and have a baby with Hilary any more. Simone said she'd only stay with him if he stopped that or if Hilary is already pregnant.  

I also wonder how Devon will respond to Simone's ultimatum. I think he probably going to tell he's going to do what he wants to do. And if he does that I still think that somehow Simone will stick around for a bit. They had him introduce her to Jill and Esther today and they approved of her.  I could see Devon and her falling for each other and trying to be a couple, even if Hilary is pregnant.

I could see Hilary/ Kyle playing more games to try and agitate Devon/Simone. But I think Kyle could end up as an ally/friend, who ends up supporting Hilary during her pregnancy. And maybe falls for her in the process.

• Members

They'll sleep together as soon as the show can make it happen. It's not about what's best for story but what's best for the character Kyle. 

Let's not forget Mariah in your scenario. She has a role to play. I'm fairly certain she's who they are going to really pair Kyle with. Pregnant Hilary is just angst for that. 

Simone coming on making ultimatums to a guy that couldn't even remember to call her is just a plot point. A reason for Devon to turn away from Hilary to facilitate whatever they want to play with her, Kyle, and Mariah. Devon WILL bow to Simone's wishes because it serves the plot however irrational and unlikely that is considering the show hadn't even tried with Devon and Simone. 

My prediction. Always ugly. Lol 

Hevon are already under the bus. The moment Devon woke up treatong Hilary and their night together like a mistake, the writing was on the wall. Either Hilary will:

A) get impregnated by Devon against his will

B )  intentionally get pregnant by Kyle and try to pass it off as Devon's. 

C ) fake a pregnancy by Devon 

Or a combination of both.  Whatever it is, Hilary will play the role of villain in her own life and romance. The show bringing on Interlopers for Hevon yet making the Interlopers the rootable one in the story is the oddest thing to me. Yet, they continue to do it over and over. 

Like today, this girl comes on and Hilary proceeds to break up Devon's relationship with a "nice girl".   Mind you, they haven't even built the foundation for Devon and Simone yet she, and her nonexistent  relationship  with Devon, is written as the protagonist in the story against villain Hilary. How does this make any sense?  

• Members

sometimes, maybe they should wrote Hillary saying "CURSES! FOILED AGAIN!" because she seems to launch some scheme and get caught one, two or three episodes later. the writing for her......no matter how much she says she will go down a different path, the writing has her going back 2 or 3 steps for the sake of other characters. I just don't believe a kind thing coming out of her mouth because she's always trying to get an angle. and she's STILL talking to staff like they're dirt.

• Members

I like having Thad Luckinbell back. He's a smart guy and is playing the same game Justin Hartley did. This abuse story has been pretty well done and I gotta commend Amelia Heinle, she's doing great work. I buy it being sold as JT having gone through loss and life failures turning him into the man he is now. Its being very tastefully done for daytime so kudos to Mal Young who has made the show infinitely more watchable IMO.

I liked having Brittany, Raul, and a Mac back as well. One of Daytime's biggest mistakes was running that generation of soap characters off their shows because of bad recasts and tired ran through stories (Days with the Last Blast crew, GH with the Liz/Lucky/Emily/Nikolas group). Would have been nice to have Ash Bash but I enjoyed Kelly Krueger. She was more than serviceable and I wouldn't seeing her in the role again consistently. If it had been Rachel Kimsey (who I didn't mind then but she was so blah, to think she almost got to play Victoria) or Cybill Shepard's kid I would have been like 

Please register in order to view this content

for every scene.

Mishael Morgan is a certified star  and Mal clearly recognizes her worth. I know some of you have issues with how she's used but I'm just appreciative to have a black actress who's good on her own and not just attached to a white man or because of her ambiguity, being utilized so much. Her scenes with Kyle and Simone (I'm ing her addition as well, maybe ditch the singing but she's more tolerable than Reed or Wednesday Addams) were great.

Speaking of Kyle, I like this version. He's got actual personality and presence unlike the last three (only one I liked before was the Leno Chin one and JFP dumped him right when he got interesting). I buy his vendetta against Jack who's always been a distant father (they don't even pretend he knows who Keemo is  ). I love that he fired Gloria and Ashley didn't care 

This Jack in prison story definitely doesn't have the highlight it would for an Eric Braeden BTW, but that old mans sitting in a coma so who's really winning currently?  Melody Thomas Scott at least is getting the Arturo cheating and fighting with Jess Walton though, their scenes today were great.

I'm loving Sharon/Nick/Phyllis being involved again and the maintaining of Phyllis and Jack.

Lily and Cane are useless. Melissa Ordway was missed while on maternity leave and she's fit back seamlessly. Glad we're finally rid of that horrid Scott recast too.

Overall I like the place the show is in currently. I don't really feel like commenting on it much though because its more entertaining for me that way.

• Members

"For the sake of other characters"  being the key phrase here. Hilary is on a lot, leading story, and it's clear that the show thanks she's good for ratings. But the  disdain of having to write for her is so strong, that it just drips from the scripts.  It feels like TPTB on the show are buying time until MiM loses favor with someone higher up so they do not have to write for Hiary, and her pairing with Devon, anymore. I've watched soaps a long time, and I have never seen anything like this.  Well, retraction, possibly sharon.  

• Members

I am interested in seeing what happens. I could see a scenario playing out where Devon and/or Hilary end up with other people. Right now Hilary is all about Devon, but I believe the undoing of that might be that he might reject her again once she becomes pregnant. ( I believe she will and it will be Devon's.) Devon has said multiples times he doesn't want to get back together with Hilary. He was saying that before Kyle showed up and before family/friends of his started praising Simone.

I think that Simone is going to be around for a bit and that Devon will choose to be with her over Hilary.   I think that will be a harsh reality for Hilary that could drive her closer to Kyle. Especially if he's supportive of her and starts to fall for her. 

I'm not sure how Mariah may factor into this. I think that Kyle does have chemistry with Mariah too. Maybe they will get together, if him and Hilary remain just friends. Or his feelings for Hilary end up being one-sided on his end and he ends up moving on to Mariah.

And granted Kyle does seems like a bit of playboy and maybe the show will end up having him interact with different characters to see who he sparks with. The actor is doing a really nice job of sparking with different ladies, he brings a good effort and energy into scenes with them.

Archived