Y&R April 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Story. Victor sees the same thing in himself that he sees in Hilary. He decides that she's the only one he trusts with his legacy after he's gone. He decides that he will father her child for some reason that would never make sense anyway so pick one. Lol. Hilary has Victor's child via insemination no romance at all.  Then he passes away leaving it all to her to spite his ungrateful family. Newmans fght the will and win but Hilary keeps her board seat and position as CEO at Newman. Let the battle begin. There is your new Jill WITHOUT Hilary having to lay under an old man nor her looking like some gold digger yet still having a Newman heir. 

• Members

Noah Newman? Kyle Abbott? 

TPTB did the most stupid thing by making Devon Katherine's grandson and bringing Stephen Nichols and Debbi Morgan as his parents out of the blue. Now he is the richest guy in town and is semi-retired, having some fun doing business from time to time. So drama, no conflict, no motivation. A stupid family backstory that feels like the last days on Ron on GH. They went too far with it for no reason.

Now Hilary on the other hand, under other circumstances she would have kids by Billy, Adam and Nick by now. A character much more interesting and fascinating than all the Chelseas and the Averys and the Sages. 

The writers did these characters wrong by giving them everything way too soon. Jil fought for years for the things she wanted in life. Hilary is happy with her little show and being messy for no reason. She is the ex-wife of a billionaire. 

Devon is happy being retired and investing in some kind of company so that the Winters have something to do.

• Members

And having the baby of an 80-year old man doesn't make her a gold digger? I don't think that if they ever write out Victor, that is the way to go.

What is next? She gives birth in the jungle and the baby is Asian. She tells the Newmans that Cora Miller was from Japan. Keemo Abbott shows up; he is the father. 

Hilary had her chance to have her Jill Abbott divorce, but she chose to keep her talk show. By the way she seems way too smart to be so fascinated with local gossip.

The Newmans have had their share of crazy marriages, family business madness and weird baby stories. At some point our soaps have to grow up and give us some different kind of drama. Making everybody crazy rich in 2018 is not the way to go. I'd rather watch Eric Peters and his roomate.  

• Members

Noah Newman and Kyle Abbot were children when Devon was on for years with no love interest. And even when they were soras'd they got love interests right away.

Devon had no teen love interest. Got offscreen Roxy. After 10 years on the show, he finally got Hilary onscreen. 

Noah was soras'd to teen and got Eden right away. Then was offscreen. Brought back with another love interest Adriana. It failed but they tried. 

Kyle came back soras'd then got Eden as a love interest. Then they started the recasting and Summer Sagas. 

Neither of those characters were cast just to be around without a love interest. 

But they weren't Devon contemporaries. That would be Daniel....and Kevin kinds sorta since his grown ass hung around those teens. 

Now I understand you saying Devon got too much too soon. Same for Hilary. But how is that any different from say Adam, who was independently wealthy, and chelsea? Or Abby who is very much in her own right? 

Without the romance and knowing Hilary wanted a baby anyway, I'd say no, that doesn't make her a gold digger. 

Hey, folks seem to want Hilary as the next Jill tied to Newmans or Abbots cause Devon/Winters ain't good enough, I'm just giving out story ideas that would make that happen. EB will eventually retire. He won't live forever. The man is about 85 as is. 

• Members

I consider Adam, Chelsea, Abby, Noah, Kyle and Summer failures for the most part. The only thing they had going for them was their last name.

For years Devon had as much story as Lynne and Esther. Then someone had a Ron-idea and turned him into a Chancellor, and brought 80s soap royalty as his real parents. I hate this kind of soap. I'd rather watch Devon become rich on his own, become the richest man in town without losing his heart and dignity and thanking Neil for helping him become the man he is today.   

Or he could just have a regular job and end up marrying super ambitious Hilary, who is fascinated by her boss Billy/Kyle Abbott and has to choose between him and her family with Devon. 

• Members

Good guy Devon who never does anything wrong and who wins out in the end. You think he's being called boring now.. lol. I can't imagine him invoking anything beyond resentment and disdain in viewers.  A better story would be a Devon who is willing to do anything to  succeed because he wants to make sure his children never have to struggle like he did as a child. Make him the total opposite of Neil and have that be an issue between them. That's a soap. 

I would say your other story of Hilary having to choose between power and wealth versus poor Devon is water under the bridge. But there seems to always be this support to see Devon poor. Maybe one day the show will heed the calls and strip him of his wealth.  

• Members

If a new character called Chelsea Davis comes to town in two years, nobody will remember that there was another person with the same name a while back. 

You are right about Adam though, he has been very popular and his return would make soap headlines. He is a creative failure in my eyes though, for many reasons. 

You might be right, but not too long ago these characters were called heroes and they were very popular. A good guy doen't always have to be boring, or lack personality and charisma. The problem with modern soaps is that everyone is capable of doing anything. 

Archived