Film Awards Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

While you were replying to me, I edited my post to add more clarification.

I inserted these words into my post:

HOWEVER, I don't like slaps, even minor ones, not even on soaps.  And I would have preferred that this not happen. 

There's no way that celebrities at future events will be able to make the distinction between a minor slap and a punch. 
None of it should happen. 

Edited by janea4old

• Members

On the other hand, I will never understand why a 53 year old man felt that the devil compelled him to hit a 57 year old man in front of 11 million people on national TV right before winning an award that he had coveted for years.

No amount of discussion about poor taste, disease, or loyalty will ever explain how an actor could feel that he had the right to yell profanities at a live event, attended by his grown children, because he disagreed with a joke.

Maybe if I watched DAYS more often it would all make sense.

However, I am willing to take bets today on whether Will be asked to present the Best Actress award in 2023, as is the tradition for the prior year's winner.  Because I predict that his punishment will be that he is not invited, despite the fact that we'll all forget about this before next year's ceremony.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Grown adults have to exercise some impulse control, especially if you’re not in any physical danger. Even if he’d simply cursed him out from his seat without slapping him, it would have been somewhat more acceptable. But you don’t put your hands on someone for not even a particularly rude joke. (I know that’s subjective, but Will did laugh at it until he saw Jada’s annoyance.) Plus, his lack of self-control totally distracted from Questlove’s emotional moment and pretty much everyone else who won after the incident. 

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Thats BS. Will Smith is a BLACK man in Hollywood. Trust and believe he had no power amongst that group in that room. If the Academy and Hollywood wanted to blacklist him today, he would go down the route of Monique and we'd never see him in anything of substance again. He's an actor, a well accomplished one, but he is not one of the big names that makes the power moves in Hollywood