Film Awards Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Getting back to the show itself, can we discuss Will Packer's piss poor production?

Pro's :  celebrating the anniversaries of certain films

Con's: the random nature of which anniversaries were chosen - i.e. this is at least the third time that I recall celebrating the legacy of James Bond, and last time they got all of the living Bonds together in the same room

Pro's: using different bands every hour was a unique idea

Con's : most of the musical performances looked cheap and haphazard, the guy from Encanto looked like he was going to trip over the dancing couple.  And why was there only one dancing couple on the huge stage? And why give that much time to We Don't Talk about Bruno when it wasn't nominated?  It was not even the only Disney animated film nominated this year, so why did it get so much attention (and so few wins)?  Where was a number from West Side Story?

Controversial Pro:  I liked that the replay of awards given during the commercials sped up the show

Con : the random nature of who got their awards during the commercials.  Costumes and Makeup are traditionally fun categories, but they were during the commercial.  While sound editing still merited its own segment?

Con:  Even before "the indecent" I kept commenting that the stage was too low and close to the audience to make it seem regal.  While I appreciate that certain actresses didn't need to trudge up the steps, it looks odd to have the stage a foot away from the attendants

Con: In Memoriam is a no-brainer, get a beautiful singer to perform a sad song along side a montage, not bring out a random choir singing Spirit in the Sky while highlighting three people, including Betty White who is not known for film and would be better suited for the Emmy's tribute

Con:  All of those breast cancer and colon cancer treatment commercials were really a downer - Whatever happened to a good ol' fast food jingle?

Con: every single comedy "bit" was a dud.  Regina and the Covid testing would have seemed sexist if done by a man.  Wanda and Regina giving consolation prizes was offensive to those in the audience.  Amy Schumer trying to lighten the mood was not well earned or supported.  The monologue lacked creativity, and they were never able to get a great shot of all three of them on stage bantering, because they had no rapport.  It was absolutely void of spontaneity or reaction to the events of the night.   

Edited by j swift

• Administrator

I agree with this, especially when you're at an awards show and know the camera is on you.  You tend to "laugh" at the joke that's about you even if it's not funny.  Like the whole Jake and Maggie incest joke where you saw Jake "laughing".  

I didn't understand why "We Don't Talk About Bruno" was performed when it wasn't nominated.  That was a waste of time.  So was Wanda at the Academy museum.  That's about 10-12 minutes right there that could've been cut.   The Twitter Top 5 thing that Army of the Dead and Justice League "won" was embarrassing.  That's another 6 minutes or so there. 

• Members

And they were announced with no context while nobody was paying attention.

It was like, here's an idea that flopped, so we'll just shove it in before the third cancer commercial of the night

At least a We Don't Talk About Bruno/A Boy like That mashup would have been fun, (if not a little Glee circa 2010)

Edited by j swift

• Members

I do wonder what the Academy may end up doing regarding the incident last night. Maybe he won't be able to come back at least for a year. Or maybe he actually will and him and Chris will brush things over and present next year or something, you never know. I can understand that people don't like what will Will did and he was better off not doing it. That being said I do think that a lot of people at least on places like Twitter are really being OTT with their reactions. A lot of the stuff I've seen being said is just wrong, cringey and downright disingenuous.

Stuff like trying to say that Will may be a domestic abuser at home (when there is no prior evidence pointing to that) or in the case of Howard Stern saying he's the same person as Trump, is just wrong. People talking about how they don't like violence but then also suggesting that Jada should have been the one to slap Chris or acting like they wish that Will would have slapped someone like Jason Momoa so he could possibly get hit back/beat up is cringey and disingenuous. OTT feminists (mainly white women) making it all about them and not even mentioning Jada's name in their criticisms or heck even Chris's is also cringey. Like it was already mentioned this is it's own isolated/separate situation and should be treated as such not about certain women pontificating and trying to once again make everything about them. As well as some other stuff I'm seeing that is very unfortunate.

Hopefully Will/Chris/Jada will work things out, heck maybe they already have. Will is not going to jail (nor should he IMO) and I don't think he's going to lose his Oscar (Nor should he IMO).

Edited by xtr

• Administrator

What should the Academy do? Taking his Oscar away over a slap is utterly ridiculous.  Give him a one show “ban” where he won’t present at next years show? 

It was a chuckle and hand clap. I didn’t see a belly laugh unless we have a different opinion on what a belly laugh is. lol

• Members

There are many ridiculous takes being flung across social media/Twitter.

The one asking "what if this were Betty White?" or "What if this were The Rock?" is mind numbingly inane. First of all, can people let this woman's soul rest in peace?! Every week, it seems someone is putting out some ridiculous theory and attaching her name. I'm not even kidding. Her name trends almost every week. Neither she nor The Rock had/have the same comedic sensibilities as Chris Rock. And people are delving into racism, somehow making allusions to voting rights, makes me wonder if people are tweeting soberly or not. Whilr we have people actually working against voting rights sitting in Congress and on the Supreme Court. I wish I could wipe this entire topic from my consciousness. It's getting on my nerves.

• Members

Yeah, but...I don't think that was the kind of drama anyone needed.

Meanwhile, for some reason, I keep flashing back to when Keith slapped Thelma on "Good Times."  ("Do you see the word "Everlast" written across my face!?").  The world's gonna go on, Will, whether you're sitting on top of it, or stretched out under it!

Edited by Khan