Film Awards Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Exactly keept whatever business you can private. They've spoke alot publicly, especially Jada and resultantly people have had something to say.

IMO, Will's reaction as evidenced by his speech, was about the years of jokes not just Chris' comment. This begs the question, if you cant make mild jabs like this anymore, exactly what can you joke about?

• Members

I saw a few people on Twitter saying that Bradley was also from Philly, or his mother was. I doubt that was a factor but it interested me. The "West Philly" tweets (and the tweets saying this was just like the season finale of Euphoria, which...oddly, it was) were funnier than any of the comedy I saw/heard about last night. That and the celebrities and politicians who were deleting their tweets ASAP.

I wonder if Gaga was chosen for this role because of her support  of Tony Bennett. For all the stunts and attention-seeking, she does seem like a kind person at heart.

I had forgotten that Will supposedly has ties to $cientology until a few pointed it out. Considering some of the volatile behavior from Tom Cruise over the years, I wonder if this has any involvement. 

(speaking of that, while I know how meaningless the whole "say gay" thing is, the clip of Travolta not even being able to let himself applaud said platitude made me feel a bit sad)

Chris Rock has been making jokes about Jada for years, some of them very harsh, but I don't think Will would have gotten physical if not for all the "entanglement" material elsewhere (including from one of the show's hosts). It's been about 10+ years now since the weird stories about their kids started to put more of a negative spotlight on their marriage, and that has just gotten worse and worse due to the exploitation of August Alina and the car crash that is Red Table Talk. Will has slowly gone from a popular and relatively respected actor to a crying meme, a cuckold. At some point, that has to blow.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Grace Randolph is someone I do not understand the prevalence of. AFAIK the only reason she has any sway in certain corners of the Internet is because she's white and blonde. That's it.

I was amazed there were even more entanglement jokes last night after Laverne Cox tried it to the Smiths' faces on the red carpet at another event a couple weeks back, which I thought was incredibly tacky.

Edited by Vee

• Members

So.  This is what the Academy Awards has devolved into.  Black people slapping the [!@#$%^&*] out of each other.  For God's sake, it's the Oscars, people, not the Source Awards!

I'm not defending Chris Rock or his joke.  It was insensitive, it was tone-deaf and it was about 25 years too late.  (A "G.I. Jane" joke in 2022?  Really, Chris?).  But how Will Smith responded, regardless of the personal and private demons that drove him to that fateful moment, didn't just make himself look bad.  It made all Black men look bad.  You wanna defend your wife against a comedian's unfunny joke?  Fine.  Pull him aside when the cameras aren't on you and demand that he apologize to your wife.  Don't feed into racist white people's misperceptions of us as violent, out-of-control thugs who don't know how to behave in public.

• Members

The Will Smith slap seems like a classic example of impulses ruining the message. 

I've read a lot of support that Chris Rock shouldn't have made a joke about a medical condition.  Well, if Will had allowed the joke to bomb, today we would be talking about what a jerk Chris Rock is for making fun of women, rather than seeing that awful photo everywhere of a 53 year old Will slapping a 57 year old Chris.

More people on social media (including myself) could learn from this about how keeping your composure always wins.  As they say in West Side Story, "stay cooley cool."

Edited by j swift

• Members

Chris Rock has been telling jokes like that for decades and keeps on trucking, so I think that's probably why Will knew there wouldn't be much response. 

(the odd part is Rock even made a documentary about black women and their hair, although I think that faced some controversy).

Sad to say that's most of the discourse I've seen today. Never mind that if Mel Gibson had slapped the [!@#$%^&*] out of Chris Rock those same people would be cheering.