Film Awards Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

No wonder is was a bargain basement mess! 

Perhaps the sh!t Jada’s been saying publicly about their marriage is also eating away at him (like f.ucking other men for starters) and he was taking it out of Rock, but still reeks of insecurity. It was assault at the end of the day and something I refuse to reduce to a laughing moment.

If any one of us did that at an office event or party, not only would we be fired, but security would remove us from the building completely. Smith’s behavior should not be overlooked because he’s a star.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Prefacing, by saying, again, not condoning (because posts will be misinterpreted and ascribed meanings that aren't there) but in his memoir, he talks about feeling like a coward, not protecting his mother from abuse and other instances of freezing when he felt he should have acted to protect someone. He talked about a harrowing experience of seeing a little girl who was being lured by a known pedophile in the neighborhood as a child. Fortunately for the little girl a grandma prevented her from going into the man's house. He talked of the shame of not stepping up to protect her as a little boy.

Shame and being perceived as being a coward seems to loom large in his life. He clearly went far in the other direction, towards the hyper masculine behavior. It was wrong. Chris Rock wasn't right for making that joke when he himself promoted a documentary on black women's hair and profiled a woman who suffered from alopecia, with all the trauma that brings. But that moment had more to do with the two men, than the woman.

If you don't know what it means to have your hair deemed political and don't recognize what that means for Black women in general, maybe this is not the topic to extrapolate on.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Thank you for your replies. As soon as i posted my question, I went back and watched Chris's shocked reaction as he was left alone on the stage in silence and tried to move things gamely along. It was clear from that and from Will shouting from his seat that this was definitely NOT in the script.

• Members

I agree the twitter / fan awards were stupid. They had no place at the Oscars.

Elaine May, Samuel L. Jackson, Liv Ullman, and Danny Glover received their honorary awards in a separate ceremony the day before.  Those particular awards are given at the Academy's Governors Awards which has been held on a separate night for a long time. Usually they are a couple months apart from the regular Oscar night.
This year, the Governors Awards ceremony was the night before the regular Oscars.

Do they usually show a piece of that on the main Oscar night? Was that cut this year? I'm not familiar with all the details.

Here is a full article detailing the Academy's Governors Awards held March 26
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/mar/26/oscars-samuel-l-jackson-and-elaine-may-honorary-governors-awards

A few pics from Ava DuVernay who was at the Governors Awards:

• Members

Very insightful reasoning and I could def see these reasons and the build-up being triggers for WS.

I think Will and Jada also have a platform -- the Red Table Talks -- on which to discuss this in depth, apologize and get to a better place. They could have Chris and Will during the first hour, apologies being made, a breakdown of why Will reacted like he did, Chris discussing why he went with the joke and how he felt. The second hour, Jada, maybe with Denzel, joins them. I say Denzel, because he is clearly the one who understood the ramifications and went to talk to both Will and Jada. 

• Members

I think Will reaction was less about Jada's hair condition and more his breaking point after months of "Entanglement" jokes. I can't tell someone what they should feel offended by, but did the joke really warrant Will's reaction?

It was rather mild and GI Jane was a female badass in her movies apparently. Other comedians have said worse about their relationship, Chris was just Infront of Will at the moment. Plus several other people or their movies were the butt of jokes last night.

This was basically a bar fight between Will and Chris. Hopefully this isn't blown out of proportion and Will (or even Chris) doesn't suffere a career lull after this.

• Members

I'm not blaming Jada for what happened (and I haven't weighed in for either man, nor do I think Rock's joke was alright). I'm just commenting on what Will said after in his speech. I think the whole thing is simply a mess.