Film Awards Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I noticed this as well. Although I found it deeply aggravating, I was usually able to ignore it until she passed away. Half of those people are unlikely to have even been fans, just bandwagoners seeking attention for their posts and tweets. 

I am also seeing photos from the Academy awards program where the mix-up between Moonlight and LaLa Land being falsely attributed to the "slap".

It's a pet peeve of mine when people post and don't get their facts straight. It ends up spreading misinformation even more.

• Members

Let me just counter point a little by saying that 90lbs Erica Kane slapped many a person harder. It's not like punched CR and then beat him down.  Plus Chris Rock really handled that situation with grace which I've said before. He had great control. He didn't even hit back verbally. People will see what they want to see though, so I'm sure plenty of people saw the worst.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

I guess it doesn't surprise me (much) that Will took a night that was supposed to be about honoring the film industry and made it all about himself because, well, he always came across to me as that kind of jerk.  I mean, I loved watching "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" when I was younger, but that had more to do with the talent surrounding Will than with Will himself.

Also: maybe I'm wrong - I hope I'm wrong - but I feel like it'll be a long, long time before ABC allows another African-American to produce the Academy Awards.  Of course, Will Packer had no way of knowing what was going to happen, but I worry that he'll receive some of the heat from the network or the Academy nevertheless.

• Members

Or that one-trick hack Tiffany Haddish who has played it off as simply a man defending his wife's honor - as if Jada is some poor damsel in distress. Clearly those folks are biased by their personal relationships with the Smith's and don't want to be blacklisted from that circle. 

I am glad that comedians Wanda and Jim Carrey (see below) give no f.ucks and are just calling it what it is, and for speaking out about what a dangerous precedent this sets for the well-being of all comedians. Not just celebrities physically attacking them, but their nutso fans as well (many of whom are insane enough to be driven as far as murder). 

The likes of Richard Pryor, Joan Rivers, and George Carlin would be appalled that we're at this point.  

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

The tweet you posted has since been deleted by its author.  I can see from the source code that this was its URL:
https://twitter.com/jazzbeezy/status/1509323149820805125

"jazzbeezy" is the twitter account of producer Joseph Monish Patel, one of the co-producers (with Questlove) of the "Summer of Soul" documentary which won the Oscar.

What did Patel tweet?  Apparently it was a thread of a few tweets. I found copies online.

Here's an article summarizing it:
https://www.irishnews.com/magazine/entertainment/2022/03/31/news/summer-of-soul-producer-says-will-smith-and-chris-rock-stained-the-oscars-2629980/

Summer Of Soul won the Oscar for best documentary feature at the 94th Academy Awards, and was produced by The Roots drummer Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson alongside Patel, Robert Fyvolent and David Dinerstein.

The award was presented to the team by Rock, moments after he was slapped by Smith for a joke about the actor’s wife Jada Pinkett Smith.

Patel tweeted ...

“What I didn’t hear in that moment walking to stage but was told of afterwards is what Chris Rock said when reading our name from the winner’s card,” he wrote in a Twitter thread.

“The winner is ‘Summer of Soul… Ahmir ‘Questlove’ Thompson and… 4 white guys.’ WHAT IN THE ACTUAL F***?????”

He explained: “The reason that makes me SO SO VERY ANGRY is because I was so proud to be one of a handful of South Asians to have ever won an Oscar in the history of the award.

“I was ecstatic that I was the 3RD South Asian to win that night – after Riz and Aneil Karia won earlier in the night for The Long Goodbye.

“3 South Asians winning on the same night – that’s never happened before! And it’s meaningful! It’s history!

“I’m a big boy – I can take a joke. Comedians make jokes. But not in that moment. What a shitty, disrespectful thing to do.

“So I’m angry. Angry at Will Smith. Angry at Chris Rock. Angry for me. Angry for Ahmir. Angry for my fellow filmmakers.”

Patel added that he “didn’t have the stomach” to watch the ceremony back later.

“I probably never will. Thank you, Chris – You absolute f****** d***.

“What both Will AND Chris did really stained what should have been a beautiful moment for us.”

Here is a picture of the Summer of Soul team of producers holding their Oscars:

Please register in order to view this content

Patel later deleted his twitter thread.  And tweeted this instead:

Edited by janea4old