• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

As a huge fan of this film that I am proud to have sat through in theaters, I'm thrilled to see "Jeanne Dielman" trending on Twitter:

If you check it out, be forewarned: It is largely static, silent shots of its title character going about her life and daily routine for hours, slowly teasing out slow details and mild changes that build to a shocking climax.

Edited by Vee

• Members

New York Film Critics Circle 

Best Film: Tár
Best Director: S. S. Rajamouli, RRR
Best Actor: Colin Farrell, After Yang and The Banshees of Inisherin
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett, Tár
Best Screenplay: Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All At Once
Best Supporting Actress: Keke Palmer, Nope
Best Animated Feature: Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
Best Foreign Language Film: EO
Best Nonfiction Film: All the Beauty and the Bloodshed

• Members

For the first time in years, the battle for Best Actor is the one that is of the most interest to me. Essentially, in my mind anyway, it could potentially be Colin Farrell vs. Brendan Fraser and I don't know who I'm rooting for more. Colin has evolved beautifully as an actor from his initial bad boy image and the pictures/projects he's chosen the last few years have been smart, creative, and fascinating. However, I have seen Banshees, and though I loved the previous effort those same parties put together with In Bruges, Banshees left a lot to be desired for me as a whole. So maybe I'm just rooting for him to get one of those career Oscars at this point. Then there is Brendan Fraser, who has come through the [!@#$%^&*] that Hollywood can throw at you to make a triumphant comeback with a performance of a lifetime. If this awards season continues to build both of them up concurrently, my eyes will certainly be on the Best Actor prize come Oscar night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I feel like it’s inevitable with the growing number of actors who identify as non-binary (where do you put them?) and where the winds are blowing culturally. It’s becoming less and less acceptable for these institutions to maintain their old ways of doing business, especially when ideas of gender are being questioned and reconsidered on a wider societal level.

And the Academy might follow in BAFTA’s footsteps with interventions to project a more inclusive image (e.g. a committee that selects some of the nominees, ensuring gender parity). I find those interventions to be questionable (these industries can get away with not actually doing the work behind the scenes to create tangible diversity while tooting their horns about their “inclusive” nominees year after year. Plus, would those nominees really representative of how the Academy feels? They should be. I also find it sorta condescending to actors/craftspeople in marginalized communities).

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

That is very true. Sad that diversity only becomes valuable when these institutions start crumbling. Expecting people of color to shore them up and walk away with crumbs after their mostly white male predecessors already made sh*t loads of money and prestige when these institutions actually mattered.

Edited by Faulkner