Film Awards Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I saw some speculation that Blanchett's speech at the Critic's Choice where she said she wanted less awards shows was her trying to throw it to someone else. I do wonder. 

In Twitter discourse news, what a way for people to find out about Merle Oberon's very sad story.

• Members

I saw that too. I feel like the Academy will do what they want. Maybe the strength of Everything Everywhere All at Once suggests they might go for Yeoh, though. I thought they wouldn’t give Frances her third, but Nomadland was much more of a juggernaut than Tár.

• Members

Blanchette is a powerhouse but Tár has been very divisive among critics, I wonder if that will spill over into other as aspects, in terms of the films chances, or her chances, for that matter.

Then again, Blonde has been almost universally reviled yet de Armas still got a nomination.

• Members

Oy. Just kill these corrupt, outdated, and irrelevant awards at this point. 

Who knows if Riseborough knocked out Viola or Danielle? If Riseborough gets disqualified, next in line just *might* be another white actress. A lot of assumptions are being made since there’s no transparency.

• Members

It is surreal to watch Frances Fisher on my EON binge while she's in the middle of this whole thing.

I still don't think Woman King deserves a thing. And I like Gina Prince-Bythewood and of course Viola is an immense talent, but it's just a poisoned chalice of a project IMO.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I've heard so many mixed comments about Woman King. I'm surprised there wasn't even more controversy. 

Frances got much too involved in all of this and said things she shouldn't have (namely that Davis and Danielle Deadwyler were locks), but I feel like the Academy are scapegoating to hide their own flawed system. 

Riseborough is probably going to end up getting all the blame for this, and for the terrible optics (made worse by most of the people who were pushing for this being white) when someone like Weinstein was lionized for years over a bullying, toxic system of Oscar nomination and winning. 

• Members

Yeah, the Academy trying to turn this into Watergate to cover themselves is a bit much. It's a few older actresses getting overzealous on Twitter, it's not exactly the ruthless Weinstein/Miramax campaign strategy.

It's an unfortunate flap but I imagine Riseborough will be fine in the end. She has long been plugging away successfully in the arthouse scene and on prestige TV and would likely continue to do so regardless of the nom.

Edited by Vee