Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

My question when has Vee become the queen board moderator. if anything these type of attacks on posters are ridiculous..Different strokes for different folks. Go play in traffic if this board isnt for u. its supposed to be fun times galore.

Anyways todays YR was terrible horrible I hope this is not where Sally is going. I hate to say it JFP is going to have the last laugh here as she was fired for record highs. at least the show was entertaining.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
After feeling so hopeful and uplifted after Sally's first two episodes, I feel the last two were just awful -- as bad as anything Pratt wrote.

The GC Buzz stuff was awful under Pratt and it's still awful. Nothing about it says "real TV." Nothing. It looks like it's filmed in a rec room. And live??? When does a show like this just go live? I'll tell you: when you need to have a character fall down for plot convenience.

Devon's conversations with Hillary  seemed fake and forced, and don't get me started on the STUPIDITY of Chelsea and CHLOE bemoaning what happened to their line -- which consisted of a few looks, none of which looked good on camera. These are people who run a company? 

Chelsea's moaning was all for one reason -- so Nick could bring her down off the ledge. Ugh. Chloe? Let me know when she becomes likable.

Abby's mean girl act was just disgusting. It made me sick that she took Summer with her on her mean campaign and sicker that Sally Sussman wrote it. Kevin? A waste of space.

The Cane and Lily scenes were non-eventful and boring. Ok, we got some loving and romance. I kept thinking the twins should walk into the room.

These last two episodes were TERRIBLE.

• Members

Yeah, it's going to take time. She literally hasn't even been there a full week yet. I think today marks a week. But the episodes could be structured a little better. Some of them have been messy. I know she probably tried to service the entire cast her first week, I think we've seen everyone, but it's like whiplash.

GC Buzz just isn't realistic to me. Whose local town has a gossip show?  It just doesn't ring true to me.

Yes, Mishael Morgan is great, but she is, as Vee said, raw, and doesn't have a lot of nuance. It will come but the delivery is like a cartoon villain. It sounds like today's upcoming episode was maybe better for her character so we shall see what she does with it. I think she's almost treating it as ridiculous as it is.

Abby and Summer were done no favors yesterday. Ordway tries, I'll give her that. King looks as green as when she started, yet this girl is also on a primetime sitcom?

Unfortunately, the last few days have showcased the same people have been eating the show under Pratt. I will say at least they seem to be trying to give the characters motivations and direction and purpose.

I just don't think in the first week we've seen very little of the more heavy-hitters. We should have been seeing more of Victoria whether you like Heinle or not, more Neil, more Paul, more Lauren, more Nikki, more Victor, more Jill, more Billy, more Traci, etc. We've had enough Sharon, Nick, Phyllis and Michael so far.

Cane and Lily were OK and the scenes could have been fun, if they were any other couple but they've never worked as a couple for me. The twins should have walked in. Or something.

• Members

Okay, I definitely wasn't feeling yesterday's episode but I could see that MM and CG were doing their utmost to make it work.

Like I said before, CG Buzz seems like a story that would be best suited for teenagers, like the Glow By Jabot House storylines were for Billy, Mac, Raúl, Rianna and JT. 

I don't get any notion that this is a good story for young adults, especially ones that have been through as much as Devon, Hillary and Mariah.

I also think that HK and MO were trying to create some bonds between Summer and Abby but they came off as completely and utterly vapid.

I do appreciate little transitions like integrating Faith back into her Mother's embrace by illustrating the bond between Faith and Mariah and having Faith make the decision to spend the night at Sharon's.

TBH, I can't remember the scenes between Chloe and Chelsea.

I've figured out what the issue is with JM. He is not falling back on "bro" sayings and dude-isms (someone must've advised him on stopping this) so I think he is trying to come off as sounding more mature but it seems like she is struggling a bit with his tone and how to present it. JMO, that's what it looks to me.

Hopefully SS and KA will start to make the necessary adjustments, so viewers won't be stuck with more episodes like yesterday. 

Someone is going to need to know/learn how to write for these characters.

ETA: the Cane and Lily scenes (which I completely forgot about until just now) seemed like they were placed there with the purpose of 1) filler and 2) fulfilling the "Love in the Afternoon" quota.

• Members

I get that, but his scenes, to me, seem to lack energy. Regardless of whether he becomes Victor's successor, it was a good idea to banish the 'dude-speak' and the 'bro-isms' from his tone and mannerisms, I just need him to pick up his energy and show that your energy can still be high even when the character has a bit more gravitas. 

• Members

In retrospect, maybe they like her like this. It's been so long since they've had a young actress who can really take command of a scene that they encourage it. I swear she's giving me MS and VR flashbacks when they used to compete for dominance in every scene. 

JM will have to get used to the new Nick. He's gonna have to come to grips with the fact that he can no longer play himself but is required to act. It'll take time. 

• Members

I like Hunter King a lot and think she's talented, but the mistake Y&R made under the last two regimes was assuming she could and should carry the entire youth set on her back. She's not capable of that, no one is, and I'm including Grimes who I think is the best of anyone under 40. King has less nuance, plus they wrote Summer terribly. Now both she and Abby - JFP and Pratt's favorites, respectively - seem like spare parts on the show who don't belong.

I do like the Ravi guy, BTW. If that's Ashley's short-term thing it's a solid idea.

• Members

Makes sense.  IA with what y'all were saying yesterday about getting MM more polished but even now, as raw as she might be, she's so compelling to me to watch.  There's something about her that just draws my attention.  

@Vee You put into words just now with how those HK/MO came off on yesterday's show.  That's exactly what it felt like to me too.

Archived