Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yet I still can't believe @DeeeDee Y&R went that route for Paul and Christine as something both Hogan Sheffer and JER had famously done with "no means yes" rape. I'm glad that DD, LB, and CLB were outspoken enough it was finally addressed on screen complete with Todd Williams berating Paul but still even by Christmas 2004 it bothered the jeepers out of even the most causal Y&R fans. Even with Christine coming back for Paul after he had been dating Nina was a bit far fetched....sure they were soulmates but the rape made things awkward enough for a decade. 

• Members

Yes! She was on ALL THE TIME. Even when the story was going slow, Christine got a lot of catch-up kind of scenes with a variety of characters, keeping her on what seemed constantly. I'm sure that's informed by the slight annoyance she causes everytime I saw her, but still....

• Members

@YRfan23 I've felt that Bell was setting up the 1990s to probably be his most volatile decade yet with Victor and Cassandra, Rex and Jill, Brad and Ashley while counting on a Paul/Lauren redux and a Terry Lester Jack picking up a ripe Nikki for the taking with Leanna Love in the mix all the while Chase Benson would dump Nina for Victoria. The setup was all there but I feel Bell ended up playing the safer route overall as opposed to trying to deal with more complicated situations and relationships. I think playing it safe is why Bell started to have regrets throughout the 90s by the time he retired but still Y&R was never a bad soap because he changed course on certain things, 

• Members

The funny thing is that for all the complaining about Y&R characters being in bubbles Cricket was the most well connected character.

Prior to entering Victor's circle in the mid 90s she was either married to, friends with or semi related to everyone else on the canvas.

• Members

Yeah I feel like lots was in the works that was ultimately drop.....which is why I wish we had some of these original story outlines for the stories, if they still exist! LOL

despite this, the 90's (early 90's in general) are still very much IMO the golden age  and probably the decade Y&R and CBS for that matter garnered the most buzz.

• Members

The whole thing was terrible & neither character still has really yet to rebound from it. The problem wasn't so much the sexual interaction but the lack of follow through about what it meant to their relationship. Especially as a reflection of how both characters viewed themselves, each other & where they were in their lives at that point.

• Members

Personally, there are so many ways to educate yourself about a soap. There's not really any excuse. I'm fairly young(ish) and have quite a vast knowledge of soaps.

Soaps have long missed the boat cultivating new writers. It's why we keep recycling the same few.

Archived