Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

I see your point and agree with you DeeeDee in fact I always preferred Victor and Ashley(and yes Hope and maybe even AD's Diane) to Victor and Nikki(another discussion for another time) but I suppose when I think of the term "supercouple" I automatically think of Roman and Marlena, Bo and Hope,  Josh and Reva, Holden and Lily etc. before most Y&R couples aside from Victor and Nikki. Big adventure for the summer as opposed to the day to day drama Victoria faced with Ryan and Cole but looking back those day to day moments with classic Y&R scores blaring in the background do hold up a heck of lot better than Days or P&G soaps do. 

Danny and Cricket was a couple nobody would admit to like but heck since they were on everyday having breakfast or having dinner discussing normal people problems with some crazy soapy drama added to the mix ie. David Kimble, Michael, and eventually Danny moving to NYC and Phyllis we accepted it anyways as part of day to day Y&R

Its funny you also brought up sexism @DeeeDee as that is what ran Heather Tom(and Victoria Newman herself) unfortunately off in 2003. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One of the reasons Y&R's supercouples aren't as fondly remembered is because Y&R insists on chasing AMC/GH/Days trends despite being the #1 soap for a record breaking number of years.

Y&R's supercouples were never "us against the world" couples like NBC soaps or "lovers on the run" style couples like ABC.

Y&R's supercouples are/were like mixed drinks where various ingredients could/would give you different & sometimes startling (but not always unpleasant) results.

And yes a case could definitely be made for (Victor & AD's Diane) place as a supercouple.

Sexism is indeed what ran Heather off & the show has suffered for it. Josh Morrow is a handsome solid actor who has grown a lot over the years but he can not and will not ever be capable of handling being a tentpole character.

• Members

I don't really care if Devon has money, it makes no difference to me.

I'm happy that Jill is living in the mansion and running Chancellor. I'd rather watch her do things that make money, if she got everything her story would be over. I'm not rooting for Jill's endgame to happen anytime soon, I still want to watch Jill in story.

• Members

Without a doubt. PB did well with the business aspect of the character, but he could never do the rest of TL's Jack. 

At times, when he still imitated TL early on, he came off as actually creepy and scary, instead of charismatic and interesting like TL, although that was certainly not the intention.

You know what

Please register in order to view this content

I'll come out and say it: I liked them, especially that aspect of them catching up over a meal or during a break from rehearsals or whatever, even if it meant lots of screentime for Christine. 

• Members

Heck even Laurelee despised playing Cricket enough for several years there she refused to return to the role unless their was meatier material that just playing a saccharine heroine. Yet we the audience, including myself still vested in Christine's character because hey she's on everyday and it must be nice to be Tori Spelling before Tori Spelling. 

Terri Lester's Jack almost seduced Chris Brooks and even almost seduced Jess Walton's Jill in 1989. That's how bad ass he was. The Jack and Victor rivalry would have been unreal for the 1990s but we'd be devastated by Lester's death in 2003 that Jack Abbott would have been killed off too. I'm surprised that the show never let Steve and Traci at least have a child of their own that would have filled a void as well. 

• Members

Lol its funny I try to catch up on old fond memories of Victor in Kansas in 1993 yet when I go through @YRfan23's collection for that summer I swear I've seen more of the forgotten tale of Paul and Christine (they had great chemistry too!) connecting over Miles and Margaret while April is being abused before any the Newman/Abbott family drama I remember. 

But I suppose memory for Y&R fans can always play tricks too. Hence why I remember on early Y&R message boards so many proclaimed they remembered Carl Williams disappearing when in reality such a story hadn't happened, I guess loyal Y&R fans didn't think a retcon would actually happen to our show?  

• Members

Lauralee has said over the years that she wishes she could play an evil psycho (maybe she was inspired by watching Kimberlin! LOL) for a show that had a lot of neurotic, retentive characters, that could be more on the anti-hero/heroine level(besides a a handful) as annoying as Cricket was, she was the definite pure soap heroine, in one point in time, whether we liked it or not....LOL

I always like to think that Jack would have gotten Jabot back from Victor by the end of the following year, instead of nearly a decade long battle with Bergman....

Lord, I couldn't believe how much of that story was shown!, I mean it's in interesting idea, but that's one of those social issue stories of Bell's that didn't have to be shoved down our throats day after day, even because of Lauralee?? haha
I honestly was just excited to finally see the character who I just figured out, predated Phyllis.....the one known as Bernadette!

• Members

And you are still here, stating the same thing, over & over, about how YOU WANT Devon to run CI. You aren't discussing what the TPTB want. You are expressing your desires. The only viewers I see saying that are Devon/Hevon fans.

I don't know what TPTB, or new writers want, but I can't imagine it's putting Devon in charge of CI.

• Members

Lol Lauralee has a lot of disdain for the role of Christine and a also had a LOT of disdain for MAB writing the show too. I have to think to now that SSM is writing with KA consulting that Paul and Christine actually/finally will get a miracle child in 2017, heck Lauralee doesn't turn 50 until 2019 so it's still believable. I think that was one of Lauralee's contentions with Christine was she had no children while LB has what three or four kids in real life. The funny thing was in the late 90s we had Paul and Christine arguing over having kids as in Paul wanted some while Christine didn't. Realistic sure enough and went quite well along with Rick and Abby's fights on GL for the time period(Rick and Abby reversed their initial positions actually between 1998 and 2000). 

• Members

I'd actually love for Paul & Christine to have not being parents as a thorn/dark spot in their relationship, and a huge regret for both of them. Traci Abbott should be the one with a late in life/miracle pregnancy (after a night with Steve or a new character). BM would play the hell out of it, it would rally the Abbott family, and provide the missing heir for Traci.

• Members

Carl disappearing was an unfortunate side effect of the show making the Newmans Y&R's core family. Once the Cassandra story ended there was no place for him.

Y&R caved to her wishes to get her back from her extended maternity leaves. Hence the horrible rape and aftermath of the Isabella debacle.

Archived