Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think it's as good a premise as any. I go by major department stores everyday in this city that still have upscale brick and mortar but their online is lacking. How they keep it together is beyond me. I've been waiting to see a story like this on Y&R, and I like that Jack is taking advantage.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Other than Victor and Nikki, Dru and Neil, Nick and Sharon, and MAYBE either Danny and Christine or Paul and Christine Y&R just has never done supercouples well at all ever. I know even Bell tried to force Brad and Traci there in 1991 but it was so bad he finally relented. 

• Members

No! Not one bit.

I've been watching this show from the beginning and I've waited over 40 years for Jill be able to run Chancellor Industries. Even after Katherine died they gave it Victor. WTH! Jill wasn't even allowed to run her own home until now. So being white hasn't helped her even though she's had the decades of experience to do so. If Devon turns 65 and still isn't running his own company then I will understand the complaint.

Devon is not a Chancellor he's a Mccall/Winters. Jill was the one who married a Chancellor, the only one to bear Chancellor offspring, and the only character that had a relationship with Katherine for four decades. Katherine paid Devon out- more than all her other offspring combined, why would he be given Chancellor too?

Devon is set to inherit McCall Unlimited, which is similar to Newman Enterprises and Chancellor Industries . But Devon running McCall (or Chancellor) would be as ridiculous as Genevieve buying and running Jabot. Inheriting $$$ to buy something doesn't make you instantly able to run it. Nick & Victoria have loads more business experience than Devon yet they don't run Newman, Victor does. Most of the young billionaire CEO's are self made.

• Members

I would consider those couples supercouples, in their own right, but Y&R definitely had the most number of characters that were either unattached or constantly bounced with different people.....I think Y&R had more popular pairings then anything, like Rex and Katherine, Jill and John, Jack and Nikki, Lauren and Scott or Lauren and Brad Ryan and Nina or Ryan and Victoria or Cole and Victoria ....but those were definitely not supercouples....

• Members

And in more recent times people have tried to push Lame, Phick, and Villy so hard especially since the latter two were affairs not traditional romance lol.  As for Lauren and Scott when I look back on that pairing we had to see Lauren settle actually have to settle for fourth place after Paul, Brad and Jack and then have it blow up her face big time. I suppose that's how Bell planned Lauren's comeuppance? 

• Members

Y&R has done supercouples. The difference between the way they do supercouples & other soaps is that members of one supercouple can be parts of other supercouples.

For instance Danny/Cricket & Paul/Cricket and Ryan/Victoria & Cole/Victoria were Y&R supercouples.

Then there were smaller pairings that were very popular like Danny/Patty, Brad/Traci, Brad/Lauren, Neil/Olivia, Malcolm/Olivia, Paul/Cassandra, Ryan/Nina, Victor/Diane, Lauren/Scott, Andy/Faren, Andy/Diane, etc.

Hell Victor is a supercouple three times over (Victor/Nikki, Victor/Ashley & Victor/Hope).

The problem began during Ed Scott's tenure when Y&R began throwing characters under the bus to prop Victor/Nikki & decided that Giggly Heffa was Jack's "soulmate"

• Members

That could have worked. The problem with the Devon/Katherine relationship was that it never existed. They had a couple nice scenes, that was it. Not only that the Tucker/Katherine story didn't really make Tucker part of the family. Most of Tucker's time was spent with Ashley. Tucker was never part of, and he had no interest in, the Chancellor/Reynolds clan.

Meanwhile viewers have been watching the relationship between Kay & Jill for decades. We should have saw some big things happen for Jill, since their lives were connected for all these years.

It was the worst.

• Members

Nick HAS run Newman Enterprises. The problem was he ran it into the ground.

And Victor's sexism would never let him allow Victoria to run Newman despite the fact that she's always been his most business driven child.

It's the same sexism that means Jess Walton's Jill can't start HER OWN company & be a power player in her OWN right instead of sponging off the Chancellor name 40 years later.

• Members

The supercouple trend should have stayed in the 1980s as it really ceased to be relevant in the 90s.

Bill Bell may not have entirely bought into the idea of a supercouple but he sure as hell had them and promoted them for awhile. Maybe though, he ended his focus on them at the right time, which turned out to be a smart move in the long run. Most other soaps stayed too long in that era.

Had Terry Lester been around today, you bet your sweet bippy, he would've winked at Lauren or called her "Sugar" or intimated in some way the closeness of their friendship.

Please register in order to view this content

Yes, this thread is getting loads of participation over the past few days. Funny, that's what some half-way competent writing will do, we all are interested enough to comment now. Hopefully the writing will have some longevity as it has been less than a week since the regime change has popped up onscreen.

• Members

It has nothing to do with sexism. Jill has cared about everything Chancellor since Y&R started in 1973.  Phillip Chancellor II being her first love, her first marriage, the mansion, the Chancellor offspring, Katherine's life, and the company. Chancellor had as much to do with Jill life as Katherines. Jill is not sponging, she earned every bit of it as we watched.

• Members

There was a time Y&R used to have daily threads. A few years later it was weekly threads.

Under the last couple of regimes it dwindled to monthly threads with barely any posts.

So you're right that this has been the most discussion Y&R has prompted in a long time.

Katherine willed the money to Devon. As one of Katherine's grandchildren Devon deserves it. Jill has her own money. The end.

Archived