Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

Most soaps don't and it's getting old ...

Soaps are absolutely horrible about writing for younger characters. Look at B&B, they're overrun with young pretty people who are the most ridiculous younger people around ... it's really a shame. And if you like it, keep posting about what you like. For me, I want all my characters to be interesting, complex and entertaining and I could care less about the color of anyone's skin, in fact, I prefer a diverse landscape. I know that's way too much to ask for ... lol

Yep, it just writes itself ...

Leanna running GC Buzz would be far more interesting and make so much more sense. Leanna treating Mariah like dirt as her assistant would be far better than Hillary being evil incarnate. Do they even remember Leanna at this point? She used to pop up once in a while but it's been quite some time ...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As much as I love MM and CG, today was not good for either character or actor. Hilary came off as cartoonish overshadowing her valid professional concerns about putting an untested Mariah on live TV. It was just bad. 

And what's up with Chelsea fumbling over a simple and expected question about her inspiration. That was weird. The audience doesn't need educating that her life is 'winter' with the hope of 'spring' in such an overwrought way. No, Chelsea has always been poised and confident about her work. Very disappointing. 

Only Phyllis/Michael was good. I hope these Y&R writers are aware any intellectual property Phyllis creates while working for Jabot belongs to them. Unless Phyllis is doing it at home on her computer, the Fenmore's project is Jabot's. 

• Members

I brought up Leanna Love months ago, lol!

I will say this much for SS and KA, I think the improvements for the Abbotts has been immediate. I do think that SS and KA are proficient in writing characters over the age of 50, granted that they're not POCs.  Speaking of POC's this new character, Ravi, could they have written a more stereotypical beginning for an Indian character?! Yikes!  The actor is cute but this is not an auspicious start, hopefully the actor will be able to rise above the material until someone with some creativity can write a good story.

Sharon and Mariah had good interaction but they nearly always do. I won't comment on that Sweet Valley High, er, GC Buzz scenario except to say that I did laugh because I couldn't take any of it seriously. Any of it. If these GC buzz characters were teenagers (a la Glow by Jabot kids), this would all make sense.

Nick's best scenes were with Faith and I'm thinking that Faith brought all the energy to those scenes. Nick and Summer don't appear to have mustered much chemistry since the last time I watched and it seemed a bit awkward with Summer telling Nick about how concerned she is about Phyllis, yet there were no actual on-camera moments between Summer and Phyllis to illustrate what Summer is saying, which dulled the impact.

Nick's scenes with Phyllis were as clumsy as his handling of Phyllis' desk ornament- JM just seemed lackluster with GT.

I do understand that the new writing regime wants everyone on the GC landscape to air to show people that they are not leaving anyone out but there were times that certain characters didn't seem to have a purpose for being there.

@ajsp35801 Remember about 6 months ago, I was typing out some lengthy storyline ideas that I had put on that Y&R survey and you told me that you thought that Y&R would take an idea but change it around (e.g. give it to a different character or switch the circumstances?) 

Well, guess what?

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Welp. I thought it was another good episode. Oh, the details of GC Buzz don't work at all. The set, the live part, all of it doesn't work. The general idea is OK. However, while Hilary came off like a silly villain, in part due to the comic nature of the scenes, I thought Mariah came off much worse and very unsympathetic (and it felt at times like I was watching Cassie and not Mariah all of a sudden). But they set her up to fail spectacularly and, unless she has some miraculous recovery on the next episode, both characters came off smelling like shιt. But what do you expect from a Pratt storyline?

I thought it was pretty necessary: Apart from the fact they were left with Hilary's firing as a leftover from Pratt, the show has nearly no other plot going on. They would have had nothing to do on Friday's episode, no Friday cliffhanger, and no action today without it. I've felt from the beginning this 'firing' would run its cycle and then order would be restored and the preview seems to indicate that is the case. I want Mariah to be humbled, Devon to give Hilary back her job, and them to move on. At least, I hope so.

Michael and Phyllis' friendship chemistry is back in full force. Love it. And I enjoyed Nick having a chat with Summer, showing up to support Phyllis, and struggling with raising kids. I actually think that's a great LITTLE arc for Nick, whose portrayer mostly comes alive around kids.  

The stuff with Jack, Ashley, their meeting, the new guy, was great. I gasped when Jack said he wants to take over Fenmore's, despite the fact that the constant takeovers are a bit tiring. Ashley caved in a little too easily, but Jack vs Lauren & Phyllis could be amazing.

I think MCE was going for emotion and dramatic pauses with her spring speech but she sounded constipated.

• Members

Yep.

Tamara Tunie & Lamman Rucker had a TON of chemistry who had a lot of screentime but after the rape ATWT wrote Marshall as evil incarnate which was heinous since theirs was written as a Paul/Christine non-con rape scenario vs. brutally explicit rapes like Luke/Laura, Roger/Holly, Todd/Marty & Jake/Marley. 

Six months after Jessica's rape was settled ATWT introduced a new Black character for Jessica & Margo to fight over, Marshall was killed (by Jessica's daughter) & then all the Black characters associated with that storyline (except Jessica who hung around another six months doing nothing) were written out.

It's funny that for all of Sally's discussions of utilizing Y&R's history she's (like most other recent regimes) acting like Jack & Lauren barely know each other.

• Members

I thought I was the only one to notice how Chelsea's strange awkward pause and how very unnatural it seemed, even for an awkward pause or just her thinking silently to herself about Adam. 

I think Hilary and Mariah should be having fun together creating mischief doing GC Buzz together as opposed to this cartoonish rivalry.  I even remember when Hilary and Sharon were friendly together, now its sad that Hilary has to be a nasty to everyone. It would be absolutely lovely to see Leanna Love and mentoring/bossing around Mariah and Hilary.

Seeing Summer again was alright until she hung out with Kevin. The huge hole of no younger men and too many single women now (Chelsea, Victoria, Mariah. Abby, Summer, Phyllis, and well Ashley) and it is very glaring. The scenes with Ashley and the tech were bad but hey Davidson did look stunning. Even CK Lily was looking good and deserves better than old ass Cane. Khalil's always done her best work away from Goddard. 

I hadn't been able to comment much but so far due to work and the end of the semester coming up the first four episodes of the new reign have been the most watchable episodes of Y&R in a very long time, even some of the more cringe worthy moments. And heck, with Monday's episode it's nice to see that classic eavesdropping still works perfectly. 

• Members

He has. She was in today's episode as well.

So very true about Summer. And funny that she's believable as Nick's daughter since she really ought to have been Jack's. Figures.

The show would improve 300% just by having Leanna show up, let alone the story!

It's not their ages or the race in this specific point you're making. Neil instantly went back in character. It's the fact that they have been long-established, well-known vet characters. If you know anything about them, then it's easy to go back to that. Everyone else (and I mean EVERYONE else so far--Dylan, Summer, Abby, Hilary, Mariah, Kevin, Cane, Lily, Chelsea, Chloe) has yet to improve majorly, because that's the toughest part. In some cases with those characters, they basically have to start from scratch. And like many have said, well, it hasn't even been a week yet, and we're on the heels of 13 years of destruction. Which means for the new guy it's a wait and see as well.

• Members

I wrote (in the survey and in a post several months back) suggesting that Hillary use the excuse that she's protecting her husband's interests, which she cited in today's episode, but in my idea Hillary would be in a postition at CI not CG Buzz and would say this to Jill who is trying to maneuver her out of the company after Devon (& his considerable investment in CI) helped her get in.  This is the second time that I've noticed something that I suggested show up onscreen but in a different scenario. I don't care, in the survey I was begging them to use my ideas but at least use the entire idea and get it right!

Please register in order to view this content

cc: @ajsp35801 I had a really loooong post several months ago about it, which I'm too lazy to look up and I don't want to write over again because it's long as hell!

• Members

I thought Phyllis and Michael's interaction was good. I am finally seeing their friendship chemistry. Meanwhile Nick and Phyllis had none. But they should be interacting. Unfortunately they share a daughter. Summer is so damn boring though. I did find her, Faith and Nick sort of cute together I guess. Morrow does work well with the kids and I loved Faith cheering for Mariah. I just don't care whether Nick is Mr. Mom or not. We get it.

Sharon and Mariah is good and I agree that I saw more Cassie today than anything. Not a bad thing I guess but it struck me even more today.

I didn't quite get Chelsea stumbling over the explanation either. I guess it was intended that way but it came off so bad and all of it was awkward to me.

I forgot all about Kevin until he popped up today. As useless as Cane.

I did like Ravi/Ashley/Jack. Jack catching onto Ravi's adorable crush on Ashley was fun. I don't have any problems with him being a tech wiz. I'd like to see where this all goes.

It's been a decade of destruction, as stated by others so it's going to take a while but it's still loads better than anything Pratt put out and I'd take it over Latham and MAB.

My issues with Hillary and Mariah is just in the writing. It doesn't need to be slanted. Of course they have to play out what was already put in motion but it's doing neither of them any favors at the moment. Hillary's valid points were negated by her cattiness and attitude. Maybe it's the way Mishael plays it but it didn't need to be written that way and Mariah doesn't need to literally fall on her face to be sympathetic.

• Members

TBH, I've been wondering if it's worth watching based on the feedback.  Sounds like it's not all bad?

Cane, Kevin, Chelsea, Chloe can all go.  

Since I doubt they will be able to get ME back as Fen, it's time for a recast.  Recast Summer since HK is off in prime time.  Bring LB back as Kyle.  He had potential but was wasted.  

Anyway...I'm rambling.  

Archived