Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Damn autocorrect.

I'm a fan of the axiom "Once someone shows you who they are, believe them." So that's how I'm going to approach the presentation of black characters on this show until I have a solid reason not to because this show has shown over the decades that they will always be second-class citizens.

• Members

Yes, the first two days when no one was on but white characters, it was all well

done. But when it came time to write for POC, the struggle began. Typical soap writer. Nothing new to see here. And that is the crux of the discussion. 

I must admit I don't quite get this need to shut up folks who are raising very valid points.  

• Members

Of course we know. Our concerns are from what we've actually scene in hi-def color onscreen for two scripts. We aren't making this up in our heads.  If your opinion that her first two days of being right is valid then why isn't the opinion valid that the following two days are wrong? Both are based off two days of scripts. Don't move the goal posts. 

Look, I'm willing to see where this all leads. But don't attempt to silence me. 

• Members

I'm not and I never attempted to. You have one opinion of the following two days, I have another; fine, we differ. You think there's nothing new to see here now or ever based on those two days, I think that's premature. As I said above, it is my opinion. You are welcome to yours. We'll see what bears out.

• Members

The interview comments about Devon's lineage and his wealth were telling.

Why is it necessary to divest the character of his money AND lineage in order to "provide him different motivation" because some fans don't like him being a super rich Chancellor? The Abbott & Newman kids have more money than god but nobody suggests undoing Traci's parentage or revoking Nick's trust fund in order to write the characters on a new direction.

And why is THAT such a pressing issue in general of all the things that "need" to be "fixed" on this show? Why is it so necessary Devon be "fixed" when other potentially fixable mistakes like John & Colleen's deaths are considered water under the bridge for the sake of "realism?"

• Members

I never took her comments to mean that Devon shouldn't be so rich as much as he has no purpose, which I agree with. He needs to be proactive. I've seen so many negative comments on writing for Hilary and Devon but I love it. They finally have nuance and drive. We got to see their romance and him being active in his business AND relationship. For Hilary, instead of just being mean with no purpose, Sussman has created conflict in her relationship with Devon and actually given her a reason to dislike Mariah. I find it very classic Jill Foster personally. 

Im sure something won't work but so far there hasn't been a development I don't like. It's still so early though. We need at least all of January to get a better feel on things. We haven't even had a full week!

• Members

Why should Devon lose his money to have that drive. Why can't they just write for him doing business, he wanted to be a producer & they took that away from him. Black characters on soaps only allow to work for other people. That Buzz thing isn't going to last long for him because they want him to answer to somebody else. Leanna (ms) Love had her own little show like that.

• Members

She didn't say he needed to lose the money, she said it was a mistake to leave him 2 billion dollars which many agree with. Katherine's death was handled horribly and in reality she would've spread that money more evenly. 

Here is what she said:

My interpretation of that is exactly what it says: He needs drive, goals and direction. The fact that she's investing in him I see as a positive. She could've easily written him off but she's trying to make it work.

• Members

That quote can be interpreted in a multiplicity of ways, TBF. I have to read that and laugh because there are plenty of characters on this canvas to whom we can ask the same question of "What does he/she want? What does he/she strive for?"

Nick's been on the show forever and I STILL think that question hasn't been answered. Perhaps when he was younger that answer was much clearer (probably because he had much better writing to facilitate that answer) but these days, maybe his one goal is to have a lot of kids and be a good father?

What about Abby? What does she want? What does she strive for?

It's a fair question but it needs to be asked of several characters, not just Devon. That's why I don't care for these interviews, they don't dig very deep and often both interviewer and interviewee are doing a dance of declaring what each wants to hear anyway. There's not much in the way of illumination.

• Members

Well I'm one of the person who disagree. The drive is what the writer makes it. So far the writers didn't make his drive clear. But let it be a poor white character that became Katherine grandson I bet the writers would came up with a drive for him. Maybe they do need a black consultant, let it be me, I can come up with a million drive for a group home, orphan, drug addicted mother Devon. 

Archived