Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've said this before and I'll say it again, Hillary should be mixing it up with Jill at Chancellor Industries. Devon gave millions to save CI from Victor's clutches and Devon needs to call in that favor, he and Hillary can muscle in on CI and carve a position for Hillary at CI. Perhaps even Devon feels badly about the way he fired Hillary and is especially adamant about doing this, prodding a skeptical Hillary to pursue a CI position.

Hillary is a vixen, works well as a vixen but she also was at her best when she had agency-- she initially moved the Winters around like pawns on a chessboard, remember that?  She had Mason doing her bidding. She could still do that in the corporate arena, working with and trying to one-up Jill and she and Jill together were great-- I think they had the most chemistry of pretty much anyone that Hillary shared scenes with. It would give Hillary and Jill great material to work with if a great corporate storyline were written, particularly one that set them up to clash in a battle of brains and wills.

It is. that. simple.  

There are literally tons of ideas on how to make it work. I've come up with quite a few off the top of my head. No useless love triangles necessary.

• Members

Disagree completely. CG has proved to me time and time again that she is indeed great and I don't think it's a stretch to call her that. In fact I'd even go as far as saying I think she is better than MM in the acting department (she is more experienced than her) and dialogue flows naturally with her. MM is good but she's not great, I'm still waiting for her to get more comfortable in this b*tch role because she often looks very uncomfortable. I do believe she'll get there though.

Jill and Hilary have great chemistry but I don't think the show should rely on that too heavily. Hilary should be mixing it up with people her age. I want the show to build more on the interactions between the characters in their 20's and 30's. 

This reminds me of the people who think just because Eileen Davidson is a great actress that means we should rely on her to make someone like Sean Carrigan more interesting to viewers just because Abby and Stitch weren't working. Then I remember people saying Travis should hook up with Ashley. I was like please! Why don't we get some talented younger people instead of relying on the vets to make things interesting all the time. 

• Members

Neither Chelsea nor Chloe are needed around, IMO.

I have no problem with the Mariah/Hillary feud provided it evolves and Hillary isn't the one-note bitch Pratt was transforming her into. And I don't think she will be. But frankly, in that small trio the weakest link is Bryton.

• Members

I'm still struggling with Hillary's redemption. Who'd she kill?  What company did she destroy?  Who's miscarriage did she cause?  Did she rape someone?  

Hillary is a vixen (Daytime's most popular character ever began as a vixen) who should not be reduced to being one upped by Mariah for a silly online rag. She should be doing her damage in the corporate world. Whenever Daytime writers makes an attempt at a vixen who happens to be black, viewers get confused when she's not done half the damage of her white [beloved] counterparts. 

At this time, Hevon doesn't work. The current writing isn't working for them. YR should allow Hillary her time getting over and making folks miserable without her husband on her ass all the time. Devon should be financially competing with Jabot.  Hevon can come back together at a later time. But I will never get over TIIC's destruction of such a promising young couple. 

Grimes is still basic!  Yeah, I said it, Vee 😜

Thank you DramaDream!  Hill is a vixen and should remain as such!  

• Members

Hillary doesn't need a redemption. Hillary is Hillary. But let's not pretend the problems with Devon and Hillary as a couple began this past Friday.

I've been saying for a few years - since they had her relegated to backburner bearding for Kevin and propping Sharon while Summer and Abby had the spotlight - that Camryn Grimes is the strongest young female performer on the show and I stand by that. But Mishael Morgan's very good and deserves the spotlight she is now getting.

• Members

She needs the It-never-happened treatment.

Write her out for a year or two for the audience & writers to forget this incarnation, re-conceptualize the character, look for a dynamite actress, and bring her back.

It's not as if she's doing anything or serving any purpose now, anyway. 

• Members

I've come to really care for MOs Abby. She's one of the few that benefitted from Pratt's writing. I don't want to see her go. 

As for Bryton, when he's got something to do, which rarely happens, he delivers. That guy can cry on cue. That's  something I can't say for much of the cast. I can respect that. 

• Members

They are the same character. 

I've never seen the point of Chelsea. And even less so now. 

The show isn't putting devon with a white woman anymore that they'd do it for neil. That was never going to happen. If it was, they'd have paired them up before the Tucker is devon's father reveal 

MiM is very uncomfortable with this role and I feel sorry bad for her. Having played it so well that she's pigeon holed into it now I do believe. 

But her fans could get on board with it, IMO. I know I could. The show has got to stop with the OTT villainous writing and demonizing. Hilary needs some redeeming qualities. Otherwise, she seems set up for a whodunit or prison. It's hard to care about a character that seems temporary. Something Hilary has appeared to be for over a year now  

• Members

Who else in Hillary's age group is on her level ATM though? Shall we wait until central casting finds her that someone? We've already established that the perceived rivalry that has been written for Hillary and Mariah is forced and personally, I think it something more akin to Sweet Valley High.  She and Jill wouldn't have to be attached at the hip, that wouldn't be a permanent storyline and other storylines can flow fromt that but it would be a viable storyline that is ready right now to launch Hillary back to being a more intellectual vixen as she was in the beginning.

Ideally, when you write a story, you don't stay there forever, you look to set other things up to go from there but I refuse to believe that Hillary as a character can fulfill her potential at CG Buzz.

Archived