Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Liv never got a redemption arc. She basically was forced to stand around as Ashley screamed at her in bad wigs about how awful she was for several months.

Then she transitioned into a relationship with Dru's ex where they were used as sideline props for Ashley's breakdown, then she disappeared for six months (breaking up with Wes off screen) only showing up in various hospital scenes.

The last significant screentime Liv got was that summer during Malcolm's return where she was dumped AGAIN for the shows latest non-Drucilla female Black character.

After that she was very briefly involved in Yolanda's story and then.....NOTHING.

Y&R let a loyal 15 year employee (by that point) who ALWAYS hit her marks and did her job dependably disappear into thin air COMPLETELY without so much as even a goodbye scene.

• Members

Terrible.

I think part of that might have to do with the agenda of wiping out the existence of Drucilla. 

Sally knows how to redeem a character. The question is will she do it for Hilary or transition her into a rivalry with another white female character the show wants to make. They've tried desperately for years to make HHKs Summer and MOs Abby. I wouldn't be surprised if they make them off Hilary's back as well. Soaps are very formulaic.  they find something that works, they'll repeat. 

• Members

Oh no.

Tonya was totally gone by the fall of 2005. Vicki didn't leave until two years later.

It was SO disrespectful to all of Tonya's hard work. Especially when Y&R refused to allow her (or Veronica Redd) to wear her/their natural hair.

Veronica Redd received the same treatment. Despite her being independently wealthy Y&R basically made her the Abbott maid AGAIN.

After several years of that she also disappeared. No exit scenes, no warm goodbyes. Nothing.

• Members

I do like MM as a vixen and I enjoy the story with Mariah, although it lacks all depth. So really what I mean is I like both of these actresses and I like them together.

Part of the problem here is that Y&R doesn't have much credibility writing for black characters fairly. It's a shame because I see this as a real chance for MM to portray an iconic character. These types of rivalries can go on for years and make both characters beloved.

Still, since MM herself hates it and many of her fans seem to hate it, I wouldn't mind them switching this role over to Chelsea. It could be the thing that saves her character.  Those who have watched AMC know she's way better playing a bitch. A lot of people, including myself didn't think much of Annie until she turned bad.  Maybe they could do something like have Chloe's betrayal come out and Chelsea and Chloe go from best friends to classic soap enemies. I do think soaps need characters with that dynamic.

As for Abby being someone's rival, I'm not sure she's a good enough actress. She's improved, I'm not taking that away from her because at this stage of the genre, I appreciate people who care enough to get better even when they aren't natural talents.  If she were in a rivalry, I think she'd have to play the mean girl, but frankly, I don't think she has the charisma.

• Members

Exactly. It's been under a week and all of this has been based on speculation. Give them a month before deciding how angry or happy to be. 

As for cast cuts...Carrigan and King off contract and Burton out is a great start. There are others that have needed to go for a while. Hopefully a few will be announced shortly.

I will be rooting for both Hillary and Mariah, as both are  favorites of mine. I don't need to see a rivalry, just great stories for both.

• Members

I like Missy Egan, but having Chelsea take the bitch crown from Hillary so Egan can resume essaying the role of AMC's Annie on this show isn't going to save her character without Adam. She'll need a damn good reason to be around and I am not convinced the new creative team will have much interest.

I like Hillary as the bitch, so long as they make her more than the cartoon Pratt apparently left her as. I have faith in their ability to do that. Hillary the suffering heroine passed between father and son, as she was painted for much of Pratt's tenure, did not work.

Abby - I don't care that much. Melissa Ordway is fun in light comedy but just does not have much to offer. Pratt had a huge investment in her which went nowhere. The new people seemed to give her a try in their first days and maybe they can do something more with her but I'd send her off. I don't see them leaning on Abby unless they recast.

• Members

I admit, I'd like to see Abby recast, but I feel bad for MO. She has tried. She isn't lazy like some, but she just is not good enough unfortunately.

Also, ME doesn't have to play Annie, Annie was crazy after all. They could give Chelsea back the edge she always should have had given how she came onto the show.

• Members

I think they hired her based on Annie, and the only times she's really succeeded on this show is when she is playing a variant of Annie - usually shining when she is fighting and scheming with Adam. Adam is now gone and not coming back any time soon, so what is her continued value? She was hired as an ABC get and only took off with him. I think there are other people they can and should add or showcase, and I think she may go the way of Dylan, Stitch, etc.

Archived