Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

MCE is a good actress, but yea Chelsea is superfluous without Adam.  Her and JM are snoozeville.  

A lot of us have been saying for months now that Hilary needs a friend.  When she was being attacked from all angles when the Neville story was featured (Ashley berated her at the lab, Lily at the GCAC, ditto Phyllis.  ditto Jill.  ditto Nikki.  Every female she happened upon in GC was hating on her.  That's not fun to watch.

I like CG.  I love MM.  

I'm hoping this is just one aspect of the Mariah/Hilary story.  And I'm hoping that the writers won't try to structure this story like its 1989.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd like to see Mariah and Hillary feud and then become friends, or at least allies. I think that works. I think Mishael Morgan is just one of many soap actors who prefer not to play the type that best suits them or the character - Hillary is best as a vixen, the heroine thing didn't work for her. She's entitled to her feelings but I don't think it's right for the character, anymore than it would be to turn Mariah into the second coming of a teen Christine. But being a vixen doesn't mean she needs to be pilloried in the square, which the previous regimes seemed to relish for her. I'm not convinced Sussman does, and this is the most decent Y&R I can remember in - well, who knows, so I have every reason to give it a chance.

• Members

I do think they should probably either hire a black writer or a consultant.  Then integrate the cast more and go balls to the wall with it no matter who doesn't like it. I'm not a fan of Lily and Cane, but they are a popular couple, so I think people will accept mixed race couples on this show.  They can make Hillary and Devon each others touch stone, the person they always come back to, but if they can only be together that's pretty limiting.

• Members

I don't think Mishael Morgan wants to play a saccharine weeping heroine. She seemed to enjoy Hilary faking not loving Devon to save his relationship with Neil. It's probably something she understood.  She seems to want Hilary to have a heart and a meaning to her madness. I can't fault her for that since I agree with her. And I see nothing wrong with her taking that position. Jessica Collins chose to leave Y&R over the destruction of her character and was vocal when the show wanted her to play something less than decent. Folks applauded her for standing up. Why must Mishael Morgan be fine with less? 

• Members

Hilary can be with anyone and probably will be. The show has no problem having a black woman sleeping with a white man. But KSJ has gone on record to say that the show doesn't do the Black man/white woman type of IR. We've seen both Neil and Devon passed over time and time again for pairings with the white ladies. I doubt they start doing that now. So of the two, Devon is the only one limited. I see Devon having the same future as Neil with a different unconnected newbie year after year...and thats only if they continue writing for him. 

• Members

It's damned if they do and if they don't in this particular setup. I think there's a chance they'll go for Devon and Mariah, though it certainly would incense people. But ultimately I personally think both MM and CG could have much stronger partners than Bryton, and I think they are casting for that for at least Mariah and possibly Hillary as well judging by the latest casting notices.

I don't think Devon with Chloe or Abby has a future. I think Chloe and Abby are both messy characters who need a long break (Chloe can never come back) and I think Devon needs a fundamental reset to be made truly powerful on the show. That doesn't mean taking his money, but it does mean giving him some drive other than chasing after Hillary or struggling with Neil.

The vile storyline Jessica Collins rejected is not at all the same thing as people not necessarily being here for Hillary the heroine or being stuck in the Perils of Pauline shít they had her doing. There were plenty of actors who favored different storylines on my soaps than the ones that best suited them and I wrote off their preferences too.

• Members

The same thing happened with Kristoff St. John & Eileen Davidson.

They were pretty great together only for Y&R to drop them immediately to put Ashley in a chemistry free relationship with Stephen Nichols.

Kristoff also has/had really sweet chemistry with both MTS & Sharon Case. Neil & Nikki not having a drunken affair a couple of years ago was a HUGE missed opportunity.

• Members

I agree the are in a damned if you do and damned if you don't place right now. Part of that is because the show has lost the trust of AA viewers. That's why I say bring on a black writer or consultant and then earn that trust back. Don't cave ever time people get pissed, show them that you can write fairly and that every character is going to take a hit sometimes because that's where the drama is.

To gain back trust. It's pretty obvious this show has lost that.

• Members

Oh yes they do.

Beyond Lily's pairings with Cane & Daniel (Liv & Brad's gross one night stand & the Paul/Isabella debacle) Y&R hasn't really been WOC/WM friendly either.

The last WM/WOC pairing (complete with love scenes) was ten years ago with Jack & Carmen.

Archived