Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

NP gave an interview where she explained that Karen's mother was to be a black maid. She was offended by MAB wanting that for some reason. It's been a long time since I've heard the story or read the interview that I can't really can't remember the particulars of why. 

Edited to add: I'm getting Carmen mixed up with Karen. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A lot of people didn't like Y&R even when it was superbly written. That's just how it goes. The show has certainly done nothing but spurn and discourage the many POC viewers who gave it loyalty for decades. I can see why people are not going to handwave this just because of a few decently written episodes. 

• Members

She was. Lynne Moody played Florence, Gia and Taggart's mom.

(and it's Marisa)

There will always be people not happy with a show whether it is good or bad. The first wave of criticism against Sussman came from the couple shippers - Adam/Chelsea fans, Phyllis/Billy fans, etc. All that will matter in the long run is if she produces consistently good soap once her stories began to pan out, which I will be watching to see. So far I am surprised at how swift and solid a turnaround there's been. I think that should be a primer for a lot of other shows, not that there are many left.

• Members

I have no problem discussing the racial dynamics, but the new writers haven't even rid themselves of the old material.  I am VERY concerned about racial disparities on this and every soap.  I just want them to have a chance to change the dynamics.

• Members

Yes, she wrote Thursday's wonderful episode. Both she and Beldner did great with writing in character moments and dialogue, despite not being around for classic Y&R, which also gives me hope that SSM can steer the writing team properly, in that one regard at least.

Archived