Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks all for the clarifications on Hillary/Mariah. I figured it was because the actresses are great, work off each other well and were neglected before. Which they were. We'll see where it goes. I understand some have some concern and while I don't actually believe things are written to be intentionally racist, there are some undertones, but not everything is about that .... Like Sally wanting Devon to have dreams and goals and not just be some rich kid who got some of Kay's money. What's wrong with that? Why does it have to be about knocking down the black kid?

I do think they've under-serviced Neil and there's no reason he shouldn't be ambitiously running his own company. He, along with Jill, should be huge players in the corporate world.

• Members

I shan't wait. I don't care what the story is really or that it isn't original. I care about the message it sends. The optics.  If it involves Mariah "winning out" over Hilary in any way at all, I don't want to see it anyway. And I think it's fairly obvious that it does. Hilary will get her much deserved "comeuppance" at the hands of Mariah. Then will probably go running back to Devon a used and defeated "changed" woman who now "knows her place".  I'm sure the audience will eat it up. it'll be Sally's most popular story.  I'm sure Sally sees it as a redemption story for Hilary. 

But I do think its amusing that you think I'm knocking the story cause it lacks originality. 

Correct. And this one is fairly obvious. After all, the story is already exactly in the place I described. 

Because the white offspring are also rich and do absolutely nothing but sleep around. Yet, they weren't mentioned as having no goals and needing to be poor to find themselves. This is clearly a case of  the soft  racism of different expectations.

But personally, I think him being rich just makes her job harder. That's also why she doesn't like it.  She's clearly been told by TPTB to write for Devon (and Hilary for that matter) and tie him into the main cast. When she was around before, the easiest thing to do with characters who are not Newmans or Abbots is to have them work for or marry into those families. She has a formula that gave the show great success with such characters. It worked with Neil/Dru, Brad, etc. But since Devon is black she can't marry him in. Since he's rich, he can't work for them either. Now what? Devon is frustrating her is all. 

It's already there. Only thing that hasn't happened is this Hevon break up so Hilary can catapult Mariah's new pairing to rom com greatness. 

• Members

Thanks. 

It'd be nice if the show allowed Mariah and Hilary to be rivals on equal footing like Dru and Phyllis. But that's not what is happening here. We've got a clear story heroine (Mariah) with her antagonist and designated loser/foil (Hilary). It's designed for fans to root for Mariah and against Hilary. Dru and Phyllis were never like that. I started watching Y&R in the early 90's after the P2 affair and P3's death. And at that time, Jill versus kay weren't that way either. I'm not sure how things were written when they started though. My point is, you guys see this great rivalry brewing. I only see a story arc written to push Mariah and launch her as this great fan favorite and under 30 show lead. Hilary, on the other hand, gets nothing from this. Viewers will just continue to hate her. And believe me, they do. 

• Members

If Hillary is going to be the bitch, why not in the business world?  This rivalry reduces Hillary, IMHO. She was a sophisticated business woman but now she's 2nd best to plain Mariah?  

AJSP, I'm with you on this one completely!  Unfortunately, white writers feel they can only write for poor black characters (it's been the formula since the early 80s). If Devon loses his money, Sally will hear from me on Twitter. 

And as for Grimes elevating material and scene partners?  Another falsehood. She's average at best. Its the same for that narcoleptic AshBash as well. The raving about that corpse was unfounded too!  

• Members

Oh, I'd be on Hillary's side if it (and I suppose it is, maybe I'm just hoping it isn't) were slanted in Mariah's favor, just sayin .... I go against the grain though, lol

Grimes is good but she's not amazing by any means. I think she's more than capable though.

And as I said, I'm against them being rivals, for many reasons.

As for AshBash, I liked her, but that doesn't mean I thought she was great. It was just the Mac recasts were even worse so she looked amazing by comparison ...

• Members

That's why I'm still not watching soaps until I see some changes. It be nice they taking a lesson from black nighttime shows. That Mariah & Hillary thing don't have to be. They could be Ash & Olivia before Olivia slept with Brad.

All these firings but none of them are the people who I know should go.

• Members

😂😂😂😂😂😂 

Its true and you know it. The accolades for AshBash were ridiculous. She delivered everything the same [when she was awake]. I cringed at the praise and comparisons.  Same for Grimes. She makes scene partners better?  I can see how folks think she's better than a Ordway or King, but great to the point of excelling material?  Laughable!  

• Members

I really loved Mac when played by Ashley B. But in retrospect, I realize it was the story that made me love her, not the actress' capabilities. There was nothing special about her or her portrayal. Its the same story set up currently being played with Mariah. Mariah is Mac and Hilary is starring as Britney Hodges.  I'm older, wiser and more astute now. I tend not to go directly where the writing tells me these days. I especially hate being manipulated by heavy handedness.  

Archived