Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

Maybe Phyllis is going to work with Lauren at Fenmore's?

One thing I liked about today was that Billy was actually sorry for what he did to Jack.  When he was saying things like "I don't care if you and Victor destroy yourselves as long as Phyllis is ok", it was hard for me to find him likable. Jack and Billy have always had issues, but there has also been love there. It was a huge mistake to have Billy act like he didn't give a &*^% about his brother.  I'm glad to see the new writers seem to want to fix that.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The second episode was just as satisfying as yesterday's. 

Eric Braeden seems to be downright relishing his scenes with Victor's softer personality - after years of villainy bordering on Stefano Dimera levels of ridiculous invincibility (which works for DAYS but not Y&R) the writing has transformed him overnight. 

All the beats where there with Lauren's scenes and I am so glad they've jumped into Fenmore's problems right away. Gina Tognoni finally had the friend chemistry with Christian Leblanc that I always enjoyed from Michelle Stafford - it goes to show the writing just wasn't there for her previously. 

If they're smart they'll keep Beth Maitland around indefinitely. Her scenes with Billy were great. I also really enjoyed Jack and Ashley retreading Ashley's paternity and the nicest part was Jack admitting Ashley was John Abbott's favourite. 

• Members

Ugh. I knew, sooner or later, there would be complaints about that. One hopes they can get used to it soon, if it's only a matter of pace. The truth is, some soap fans just love the bullshit, fast-paced, frenetically plot driven stuff. They eat it up. And those are always going to complain about the "new" Y&R.

I forgot about that -- so true! Goes to show, you give the characters dialogue that makes sense for who they are, and they shine!

• Members

Have to agree with the sentiments expressed here.Have only watched the first ep and was impressed.Previously when I dipped in,I found the scenes shallow and seeming to jump from plot point to plot point.

Definitely need to keep Traci.Maybe she and Steve have grown apart after Colleens death and he accepts a job overseas. A baby switch/mix up at the time of Colleens birth results in Traci discovering her daughter is still alive- drama ensues!

Hopefully,the plots/characters that develop will carry this through.

• Members

^As much as I loved Colleen and adored Adrianne Leon to bits (She even looked like Brad and Traci) I don't want to hear about another baby switch/paternity/maternity mix up for a LONG ass time! 

I wonder if there is a way they can bring her back from the dead though. Maybe they can find some kind of loop hole or something that is somewhat realistic .. (I know it's a stretch) [!@#$%^&*] MAB for what she did to Y&R. They should have brought back KA and SS a long time ago before these hacks had their chance to do this [!@#$%^&*].

• Members

I am watching Wednesday's episode, and Thursday's episode is keyed up to follow... I cannot get over how much this feels like 'my' Y&R. I truly never thought this would happen -- that CBS would give the old team which MADE Y&R what it was another chance. Y&R felt like such a generic ABC knock-off for so long, thanks to JFP/Pratt, to see crafted scenes feels organic, and not like somebody trying to foist a generic soap template onto Y&R's very particular DNA. Even the sets feel wider, bigger, cleverly-lit... And did anybody notice the musical transition from the Abbott family breakfast into the opening credits? It was new; gave me goosebumps.

One critique -- the Newman kids' + their appendages' scenes (Nick, Victoria, Sharon, Dylan) still feel by-the-numbers. Only MTS's presence lifted the material which they are clearly trying to wrap up.

The Abbotts, by contrast, are on FIRE, and that may be because Traci is back, but also because of Jason Thompson who is quite an intuitive actor and seems to recognise that this new material doesn't necessarily need histrionics (naming no names *cough*Miller*cough*).

• Members

I wouldn't mention Victors heart and just let Colleen Rest In Peace. I do agree with calls for Traci to stay regularly. Beth Maitland said she'd love to be on contract. She is so VALUABLE and I feel her hit and runs have mostly been because she doesn't fit the physical requirements of a soap heroine. She truly must stay. I want her to find love again and I want her living in the Abbott household and continue taking care of her older siblings and Billy. 

I still am just amazed at Victor and Nikki. It's like two different actors are in the roles. I feel like they even look different. I cannot get over how quickly Braeden and Scott were able to adjust to completely new takes on their character. They went from being completely unwatchable to being so compelling. I also love the contrast we saw Wednesday between an Abbott and Newman breakfast. Everybody feels unique and like their own person again. 

I hate Amelia Heinle probably more than most. Loved her on AMC but she has never been Victoria to me. The writing hasn't helped, but I'll say I even see a big change in her. Victoria is written less like a whiny teenage and more like a strong adult and it works better for her. Bill Bell always said Nick and Victoria were meant to reflect the parent they were named after and I feel that again. As masculine as Nick is, his complex emotions and relationship with Nikki have always been compelling when they choose to tap into that. Same with Victor/Victoria. Those are just smashing relationships you can get so much out of. 

The Lauren scenes were flawless. Since 2005 she has been unwatchable as has Michael. They haven't attempted to give them much story and when they have its sucked. She LOOKED like Lauren and more importantly she FELT like Lauren. Pairing her in scenes with Jack and Phyllis was unexpected and it made sense. In two days Sussman/Alden have done so much to make me care about Gina's version of Phyllis. That ending with Jack was an instant classic. They both killed me in that scene!  

Now more than anything I can't end my post without thanking the soap gods for the lack of Chelsea in these first two days. I am still praying for an exit, but I'll take less screentime for now. Very curious to see what the writers do with that Mary Sue that has been forced upon us. 

• Members

The ending with Jack and Phyllis was so well done and the actors were great. I don't think they're done for good. It's going to be a while, as it should be.

I've never understood why soaps insist on moving characters in and out of relationships. It was like Chelsea and Nick. Why were they shoved together in an obvious way once Adam exited? His "dead" body wasn't even cold before it seemed evident Nick and Chelsea would be paired. Characters need to be able to stand on their own and for so long soaps haven't bothered to make it about who the character is.

• Members

Sears has been struggling for a loooong time. I remember those pictures that someone took of a Sears store with dirty carpets and messy, disorganized racks of clothes and poor lighting. It was truly sad and pathetic.

I compare Fenmore's a bit more to MACYS or JCPenney, even though Fenmore's is a boutique that caters to perhaps the type of clientele that is more akin to Bergdorf Goodman or Saks Fifth Avenue.  MACYS came back from the brink and JCP is still pulling itself from the margins- both can serve as a template for Fenmore's struggle and revitalization but so far, I like how the groundwork is being laid- the fact that Fenmore's is a storied boutique store that is struggling between tradition and adapting to modern commerce.

• Members

OMG ALL THIS SO MUCH.

The final scene between Jack and Phyllis was emotionally powerful and really meant something for both characters. It was about characterisation moving plot and not just plot moving characters every which way.

And amen to your final line. I have enjoyed Chelsea in the past, but I couldn't help but wonder how she is going to fit now in this universe with her "like, omigod" Valley girl squeak. She seems a very Prattian/ABC stock character somehow. Unless she rises to the challenge of the material like JT and JM have.

I think Amelia Heinle is better than in the past, but she is still soooo low-energy to me. Josh Morrow did great in his scenes with MTS, but AH did... just ok. I still find her Victoria incredibly dull.

Archived