Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

Technically-speaking, in a previous post, I already mentioned that I actually liked that acoustic guitar variation of Nadia's Theme in Sharon's scene but there was one weird transition...did anyone notice it?

It jumped out at me.

We go from seeing Sharon processing her memories of Sully/Christian to Dylan walking to Victor and Nikki's front door and it was this kind of weird Dissolve.

I'm not sure whether I like it or not.

I'm not sure whether it is retro or trying to be modern but it took me aback a bit, kind of like when you're watching 3D and something onscreen jumps out at you!

Like everyone else though, I appreciated the improved styling of the characters and Traci looked great- so much like the Traci I remember growing up that I wondered whether Beth had lost weight but I just think that in the past few years whenever she visited, tptb had her styled very matronly, perhaps in clothes that were too baggy and ill-fitting.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She certainly was a part of Lauren's redemption because young Lauren? A horrible, spoiled bully. Both Lauren and Michael will benefit wildly by not playing saints 24/7.

Yeah, I've always loved Sheila, but I think it's done. There could be good story, but I rather they focus on other things.

I don't think I liked that much. I was OK with that weird split screen they did of Jack & John but this one didn't look too good.

• Members

Ugh. Jack. Such a hypocrite. Bitter old maid. I wish they'd give this character a long rest, TBH.

I about fell over dead when Victoria said she didn't need a man to define her. My God in Heaven where has this woman been for the last 10 years?

• Members

Exactly. Soaps want new viewers but don't bother to educate them. Or they won't educate themselves. I go back to DAYS and their shitton of returns over the last decade. Why would new viewers care about Kayla, who's been gone for 15 years, if you don't actually write to who they are? Just an example. It's why, IMO, so many of their returns failed. They just dropped them back in as if no time had left and expected the audience to care.

• Members

I posted about this last night that I thought the dialogue was laying out quite a bit of  (what writers call) exposition at times but I thought it was likely necessary to re-introduce many viewers who have only watched over the last 7 or 8 years who may be unfamiliar with the longterm histories of these characters.  SSM and KA are likely thinking of them while they 'right the ship' of some of these characters, so new-ish viewers appreciate where these characters' motivations and stories are likely to sprout from.  

It could be a bit clunky, at times but I think the actors finessed it reasonably well.

• Members

It's paving way to create rift between Jack/Ash. Victor mentioned Ashley driving the business; Billy not being 'Abbott,' etc. The non StepAshley would never put up with Aunt J's prissy attitude. I thought Ash paternity was used by Jack a couple of years ago after being dormant for almost 20 years. 

Archived