Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For me it's the opposite. MS was more bearable for me in her partnership with Jack. I couldn't really stand her with anyone else and when they reunited in 2013 I actually start liking Phyllis again. 

In regards to the preview for Monday

[spoilers]Phick will have scenes. Not sure how I feel about that. [/spoilers]

• Members

Yeah, I'm at the point where I find a show filled with older men and younger women pretty sexist. The only couple where the opposite is true is Victoria/Billy (and I guess Travis for what that's worth). At the same time, the audience isn't blameless. You have multiple men with women 15 years or more there junior, but when Victoria is with a guy who's 10 years younger people say she's too old for him. The double standard is ridiculous.

• Members

Same. MS and PB worked for me. I always felt like Phyllis and Jack worked as a couple but MS would have rather had a young hunk I guess. Nick and Phyllis were awful. Just awful. I don't know why they were ever popular as a couple. They never should have been more than an affair. I think Gina would be fine with Morrow but Stafford and Morrow always came off as besties who fucked each other. I just never bought them as a romantic couple. And I still think Summer should have remained Jack's. Ugh.

• Members

Yeah now that Gina is here and she's staying as Phyllis I think she has the potential to do more outside of Jack. PB always added much needed class to the Phyllis character while MS was in the role but since that is no longer an issue anymore I wouldn't mind seeing Phyllis with some of the younger men closer to her age like Nick or Billy. 

• Members

I think Stafford and Morrow just felt so obnoxious together that's why I never liked Nick and Phyllis. I think Sussman views them as some big romance and seemed high on the Sharon/Nick/Phyllis triangle. I don't know that I would want Nick and Phyllis back together at this point even if Morrow and Gina work well together. But I'm trying to stay optimistic. That triangle was a big reason why I stopped watching then, along with LML's crap.

I wish they'd just ignore Colleen's death. I'm also disappointed Traci didn't mention her daughter when discussing Billy's kids today around the tree. My heart just broke knowing her daughter was dead as she was talking about the joy of kids around the tree

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I think Gina has chemistry with plenty of men (including Jason Thompson, but that pairing is radioactive for a reason) and is soaring in this role, but I like her best with Peter Bergman to be honest. As he himself has said, she sold Phyllis' utter devotion to Jack from Day 1, something Stafford apparently was less than dedicated to. Gina gives it her all and they work really well together.

• Members

Pretty good second episode from Sally and Kay!

I really love how the characters relationships are being re-establish, and loved the references to the Abbotts history. I really loved seeing Billy with Traci throughout the episode.....Beth Maitland deserves to be the head of that family!

Loved Victor and Ashley at the park, and him acknowledging her business ethics.......finally, more heart into Victor, though I found the comment about Christian being raised as Nicks's a good thing because they are rich, a bit distasteful, but  oh well.....

Loved Lauren's financial problems coming to play, and her scenes with Jack!

so overall good.....still have a long way to go, but I'm looking forward to every day, which I haven't felt in a long time!

• Members

I thought the same when she mentioned Billy's kids.  

The thing is, for me, Traci's feelings for Brad were unrequited for so long, then to have his child, she was over the moon.  Sure, Colleen was a daddy's girl but she was Traci's only child.  That's significant.  

How do you mean, "ignore" her death?  As in an it never happened thing, or don't revisit a tragic story?

• Members

Another great episode. The Abbott stuff, Nikki and Victor, actual great business dialogue. I love they seem to be starting a Fenmore's is struggling story with Lauren. It's a realistic story. Today I was just reading about Sears sales are struggling. They should have Lauren have to struggle with closing stores and maybe introduce a character that lost their job at one of those stores. 

• Members

Well, I know they really couldn't "ignore" it, I guess. But I'd gladly pretend Colleen never froze to death. It would be ridiculous but I'd be just fine with it, LOL

Bring John and Colleen both back from the dead and pretend they never died to begin with. LOL. But that's not really Y&R. Now, Days ...

• Members

The conversation between Phyllis and Lauren seemed like a very realistic conversation that a lot of brick and mortar stores have been having over the past several years. How much time and energy to devote to e-commerce and should it be its own entity? Or should the online simply be a way to lure people into the store? 

Hopefully this story plays out in a way that is entertaining yet stays relevant. In other words, keep the ball rolling, don't let it drop, please.

Seems as if SSM and KA are trying to shift Victor's personality to one that has far more nuance, rather than a mustache twirling, villain-type. Too early to tell but they may actually make him a viable character again! Still, I hope that he's not going to be on everyday- I know a lot of people complained that he was on way too often and everytime I read a show summary, he seemed to be in the middle of everything!  Maybe with this trip he and Nikki are taking, they won't feel the need to show them every episode.

I too thought about Colleen when Traci and Billy were talking about the importance of enjoying being with one's children while they're young enough to enjoy the magic of Christmas. I couldn't help but think that Adrienne Leon and Beth Maitland would probably have great chemistry.

In the previews, I already saw Devon and Mariah so it looks like the show is now trying to rotate their characters so we see different stories throughout the week. I think this may be an especially good idea (if done well), if they plan to plot out more methodical storytelling without being too plodding.

I went to some other boards to lurk, out of curiosity and saw that some complained (already?!) of slow pace. Yesterday, I wrote that a few scenes did drag a bit but overall, I loved the fact that characters took time to have actual conversations. I suspect when there is no longer a need for as much exposition (when viewers who've watched Y&R less than 10 years now) and everyone is 'caught up to speed', the scenes won't be weighted down with history as much.

Until yesterday, I hadn't watched the show much, so I got a chance to detach from the wild, frenetic pace that the show had become known for over the years. I suspect that a lot of viewers who complained about the pace may have become used to that crazy pace and are having difficulty adjusting to anything more moderate. Hopefully they will, because a more moderate pace of storytelling may actually ensure we get storylines with a beginning, middle and end and not the madness of incomplete storytelling Y&R had become known for.

Archived