Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I also noticed Kay Alden's credit was after SSM/Tracey Thomson/Brent Boyd but BEFORE the breakdown & scriptwriter. As if she's meant to be viewed as part of the writing team! Insane. Has that ever been done before?

• Members

Most of the responses on Twitter I'm seeing are all positive! Minus the few Tricky and Philly fans bitchin because they didn't get their way. 

Idk how those lame couples would dictate whether you watch or not if you call yourself a Y&R fan. I liked Billy & Phyllis but I'm not going to stomp my feet if SS wants to move on from that. There are bigger things to address.

• Members

This was definitely a marked difference in tone and if you're going to go sentimental, doing it so close to the holidays is definitely the time to do it. 

Seriously though, does someone from Y&R read our messageboards because I remember once discussing how much could be accomplished while the Abbotts were simply sitting around the breakfast table and Voila!

Please register in order to view this content

There was a lot of exposition being delivered by Traci and Jill (and even a bit by Billy in his conversation with Victoria) in their respective scenes but I think it was the necessary thing to do for any viewers who may have only started watching in the last several years and may not be familiar with any of this history- it is kind of re-introducing viewers to the characters that many of us who started watching decades ago would know but not recent viewers.

The music cues didn't bother me- I did notice that there was an acoustic take on the Nadia's Theme when Sharon was looking at those old photos, which I thought was a nice subtle touch.  

A good episode and not one 'one-liner' or snarky remark in sight, proving that it can be done! A few scenes dragged but based on those previews, I actually found myself interested in what would happen in the next episode and I haven't said that in years, it seems!

• Members

"Hard to believe Dad's been gone 10 years now..."

"Oh, it's surreal."

Am I the only one who found this low key shady? Well done to whoever wrote that. The Abbott family scenes were obviously highlighted by Beth Maitland's performance as Traci, she is a superb actress. 

This is the first episode in a decade that Jess Walton got to play the real Jill. Just get some shoulder pads and a fabulous necklace on her and with a good script she flies. It was so good to see Jill's passion and fire. 

Victor and Nikki's scenes were really good too because they highlighted Victor's soft side. And MTS got to play the Nikki I enjoy - the imperfect one who is a sensitive mother. 

It was so right to see Kay Alden's name the credits. Sally McDonald directing? Natalie Minardi Slater and Janice Ferri Esser writing the breakdown and script? We were spoiled. Thanks SSM - great start to a new era, I hope. 

• Administrator

Good start for SSM and Kay (it just feels right to see her name in the Y&R credits).  And having a Janice Ferri Esser write the script, Natalie Minardi Slater write the breakdown, and Sally McDonald directing SSM/KA's first episode was perfect.   Janice Ferri Esser wrote this on someone's Facebook: "I've been watching since the late 70s and writing for the show since 1989, and I feel like I'm home again. Best December gift imaginable for us "old-timers" and especially for the loyal fans."

• Members

I tuned back in and was pleased. Today did feel like old school Y&R in a LONG time. 

Only thing that bothered me was that Billy, Traci, or Ashley didn't toss Jack's transgressions in his face. Jack screwed Jill when she was married to John, and him looking down on Billy is so damn hypocritical. I can't stand Jack so I just wanted him called out on his sh-t.

The scenes with Nick whining...

I'm over this grown ass child.

I hope SSM eventually moves Sharon off the ranch. I just want her detached from anything involving the Newmans with the exception of her kids.

• Members

The show definitely felt different and the characters seem more in character in then I've seen in years...so far so good!

Jess Walton and Beth Maitland are killing it so far....it felt like old Y&R with Jill in character giving Billy Hell and Traci giving hell to Jack at the breakfast table.

Archived