Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed!

Literally! Regardless of how yesterday's episode ended, Sally was like, "Nope! New day. Skip that!"

Please register in order to view this content

I do hope they can find a middle ground where they can use it without them feeling it's too much or whatever.

• Members

Beth Maitland proved yet again that Traci IS the backbone of the Abbott family.  Kudos to the Mamie mention.  Nice to see Mrs. Martinez has a sense of humor.  

Bye, Travis.  As the chain smoking cafeteria woman I worked with when I was a teenager used to say....at least he's pretty(and he seemed to be trying to get better.)  

Had he been Billy, he would have been better accepted.  Just like Luca, who had potential to be a keeper...I've seen him on at least 5 shows he's already been on since he left. UpChuck ruined both their characters

Jess Walton...

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I agree about the outdoor cafe in the winter, but I did notice when Vikki & Billy were sitting there, that there were outside heaters by the table.  At least somebody realized that Wisconsin isn't a patio dining place in the winter without some kind of heat.

• Members

I wonder if they're going to have to do a smaller set inside (say - just the cafe or coffee shop in Chancellor Park) just to show some snow or something...they can't go through the Winter showing that outdoor set with no snow or anything.  Like you said, it's Wisconsin, not LA. 

• Members

Well, that was really interesting. In a good way.

I am a casual viewer of Y&R at best and my grasp of its long-term history is pretty basic, but this was a great primer for not only me but any newer or lapsed viewers - reintroducing this much-hailed Abbott family breakfast, informing and explaining to newer viewers Traci's importance to the scheme of things, etc etc. They seemed really keen on venerating family, history, special characters like her, and to me those kind of things are what soaps are all about. I'm sure for longtime fans these touchstones were love letters, but they also serve the purpose of educating the current audience about the show's roots. It reminds me a bit of how AMC and OLTL were 'reset' online and went about re-explaining to viewers the key tenets of the shows or the family ties after a year away, or when trying to get back to some older characters who hadn't been seen in many years. There's a freshness to being able to cut bait and say 'this means this and this is why,' and most soaps don't do that with creative handovers; they tend to be bound to join things mid-stream and pick up the baton without jarring things too much out of place right away. Maybe they should more often.

Also bold was apparently skipping over a custody battle. Was that only just in progress, or had the verdict come in before today? I was impressed with that bit of maneuvering.

Anyway, Beth Maitland is a spitfire and I hope she hangs around. It was nice seeing her raise her voice and take control of that room. Also of a piece with what I said above: The preview where Jack lays out Michael and Lauren's status quo and history while also, again, reminding the current audience of his own past with Phyllis. That's skillful work.

It was slow, it was careful, it was heartfelt and it was good. It wasn't showy, but it was direct, firm and bold in what it wanted to emphasize and/or go away from. Even those weird location shoots looked okay.

• Members

Great post, Vee. Spot on. Sharon, Dylan and Nick got calls from their lawyers as part of yesterday's episode cliffhanger that the judge wanted to see them in court. What they skipped over was the decision and reactions to go straight to the fallout. I'm fine with that!

Archived