Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Her marriage to the Baldwins & relationship to Traci aside Lauren has been friends & strong business associates with The Abbotts for decades.

If new viewers had just begun watching they would assume Jack & Lauren were casual acquaintances (instead of flirty friends) which is ironic coming from a writer who went out of her way to have Ashley began unnecessarily clucking about her paternity out of nowhere.

• Members

Before Lauren was relegated to only having Doug Davidson & CLB as her screen partners she and Jack & Lauren (like Jack & Leanna) had a really interesting relationship. They were flirty friends who had been intimate & still had quite a bit of chemistry (even with PB as Jack) when in each others presence.

A lot of the complexity of Jack's female relationships was dropped when PB was cast in the role.

They basically changed Jack into Cliff Warner & it's really screwed the character.

• Members

I have to admit, as a newer viewer myself a while back, I wouldn't have guessed Jack and Lauren were ever that close, even based on some of the early 90's stuff when Bergman first came on....I know otherwise now, but it also doesn't help that I remember a clip being posted somewhere during the middle of LML's run, with the face cream stuff, and Jack calls Lauren and addresses himself as "JACK ABBOTT".....I remember thinking that was awkward, since both characters have been on for decades, but it's a little bit more jarring now knowing how close Jack and Lauren were at one time...

• Members

If I recall right Jack and Lauren were enjoying a nice sexy ski trip together when they saw Lisa Mansfield out of the blue and Lauren promptly followed Lisa since ya know Lauren had the hots and care for Brad too. 

SSM said when they had revisited Brad's past back in 2006 the original story was to have Lisa resurface but Latham killed the idea and brought on the Nazi crap. 

• Members

Yes, they both rescued Brad, I think all that material use to be on here....I have a few January 1989 episodes I have yet to post showing some of Brad going crazy on Lisa while he's still locked in the cage, while Jack and Lauren are actually together, trying to put the pieces to Brad's "disappearance" together....I think it was a good month or 2 before he was rescued though....LOL

Having Lisa come back would have been a better idea, but I still have to wonder if it would have held out well, since that was on the heels of Sheila's last return, and that got mostly mixed reviews....

• Members

The first time I got to see any part of that story was on Christmas Day 1998 when CBS reran the Christmas 1988 episode. Sure it was just two years before I had even started watching Y&R but I was very spellbound by the entire episode and my mother jolted and filled me in on the details. You had Victor and Leanna trying to do something nice for Ashley for Christmas and the Chancellor clan coming together for Christmas but in the middle of this you had Brad in a cage.

Having Lisa probably would have even worked out better than Sheila's return. At least with Lisa you could start from scratch with the basic idea that she was crazy enough to lock up someone in a cage. With Sheila she had such a tight history between Y&R and B&B that Jack Smith & Co. just cherry picked and thus it felt so disjointed overall. Other than a couple appearances of Eric crossing over and Sugar they seem to gloss over any of Sheila's B&B history.  

• Members

I remember that episode! (man I wish they still aired classic episodes over christmas!) that was also the same one where Nina let Phillip be with their son on Christmas after keeping him away from Phillip.....I remember how superb Jess Walton and Tricia Cast were in that episode!

I almost wonder if the Lisa return story could work even without Brad......maybe she would go after Jack and Lauren this time or something....on second thought, both have had enough psycho stuff happening to them.....LOL

Archived