Y&R: January 2016 Discussion thread

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My tiny brain couldn't fathom it. We would be entering relatively new territory, though not unheard of as Australian producer Phillip Bowman was made Producer of (tacky and wobbly) British soap Crossroads in the 1980's and presided over a serious and sophisticated revamp of the show. By accounts the show was possibly at its cleanest, production-wise and tightest, writing-wise but was (seemingly for those reasons) rejected wholesale by the British audience (at large) and led in part to its demise. 

In relation to Y&R, I can't shake the feeling that had it been anything that has been cautiously suggested or hoped for, it being big news, we would know something by now, even on a 'grapevine' basis? So at its highest, perhaps he is acting on a Consultant basis?

• Members

Yeah, I wonder if it's just a high profile Story Consultant job - as I mentioned in the Writers/Directors thread, even though Young has soap writing and producing experience, he's spent the last 20 years or so as a network and production company executive, if anything he's more qualified for Angelia McDaniel or Steve Kent's job at this point. 

• Members

I read somewhere that EB had the scene with Victor reacting to Nikki and Neil's kiss on NYE scrapped. Not sure if it is true but something happened there because Pratt previewed a reaction from Victor. Never showed up onscreen. While Pratt is many things, he isn't senile. He wouldn't forget what he put on the page. So I agree, there will not be a Nikk and Neil thing. EB won't allow it. LOL

• Members

Daran could have "saved" AMC and restored its identity but he was working under Pratt and then his visa ran out.

Victor today: "This fish is exactly how I like it."

God, I hope Mal Young can make the convincing argument to have The Mustache killed off once and for all.

• Members

This show.  Why are Neil/Hillary/Devon still a thing?  Why did Neil and Hillary have sex in an office with glass walls in a lab where anyone could walk in.  Why did it have to be Devon that saw them, why couldn't it have been the cleaning crew who could then take pics with their phones and post them on the internet.  Tomorrow Hillary and Lily get into it again.  This whole thing is a rerun of what happened before and I bet Hillary sleeps with Devon again.

• Members

of course Hilary will sleep with Devon. She has too for the WTD story that is a full 12 months too late.  And unlike other pregnancies that last about 6 months. They will stretch this one as far out as possible like they do with all these folks storirs. So Hilary will be pregnant until Nov sweeps. A full 11 months. Watch! 

• Members

BTW - I enjoyed the Hilary/Nikki 'chat' and how about the way MTS is subtly selling Nikki/Neil with her excitement Neil finally called except it was Victor. And that was a crazy WTF moment when Neil/Hilary did it. 

Im liking MEK more each day and I love the chemistry with ED. Simon has been an unexpected good addition to show. Can we please have more JW? I know this arc has been way OTT and I'm surprised there's anything left of hospital set with the scene chewing BUT she's still a joy to watch. Oh and I'm kinda like the Billy character in a coma too bad it won't last

• Members

Y&R is the most interesting soap to me right now.  Maybe that's not saying much. The Billy story line is decent and it's nice to see these characters interacting about something real and emotional. It's always good to see Jill get some use.

I truly don't understand why Jack and Victoria are in such a hurry to pull the plug. Sure, you don't want to let this drag on for months, but at least give Jill a chance to find another doctor or treatment. Victoria has half a billion dollars, she can afford to give Billy some time. If nothing else it would give Jill time to come to terms with the loss.

I also like Simon a lot. I'd much rather see Ashley with him than with Ben. Speaking of Ben, while I'm not a fan of his I'm interested in his son coming to town. He and Abby needed something to overcome as a couple. If it wasn't going to be Ashley, it might as well be this.

I love the idea of Neil and Nikki. I don't even mind this rehash of Neil, Hillary and Devon.  There are triangles that have lasted a lot longer than this one.  It doesn't feel that played out to me yet. I only hope that Simon treats Billy and he has a similar change.

• Members

It's ludicrous to me that Dr. Neville, an outlaw and kidnapper, has risen to such prominence with GC residents (and apparently viewers).  This man took Hilary by force out of the hospital for crying out loud.  Ashley provides this person an avenue to perform his "tests" in Jabot for what reason?  To possibly save herself?  And she's chosen him based on what?!?  Experiments performed on a comatose Hilary?  WTF.  There's nothing to even prove whatever he did to her is the reason for her recovery.  Now Jill's chomping at the bit to let him loose on Billy?  GMAB.  The rich and privileged of GC have no other alternative?  Yea, right.

I get this actor was well loved on AMC, but he's not been given a good role here.  Maybe sentiments for his past role are letting people give him a pass here.

The show is interesting in a "what in holy hell are they going to do now" way, not in the crap they are currently writing.

Neil and Hilary [!@#$%^&*] again pisses me off primarily because UpChuck has managed to take a strong woman and turn her into a simpering fool, desperate for a man.  That's not the Hilary that I want to see.  There's no fuckin way that she should be craving Neil's penis like this.  

Archived