Y&R: January 2016 Discussion thread

• Members

The most entertaining of the four soaps is a low, low bar right now.  The only things that keep me watching are the characters and actors, but I can't pretend that I've forgotten the extent of the character destruction that this show has gone through in recent years. Making the majority of these characters felons was a huge, WTF. I can only imagine what this list of crimes would look like if someone who actually had a great soap memory like Cheap or DeeDee compiled it.

For example, someone like Sharon should never have been a felon/sent to prison. They took Adam so much darker than they ever should have and to what end? They've tried to clean him up and JH brings the perfect vulnerability to the role to help with that, but it doesn't make the slightest sense that anyone in GH would give him the time of day. The viewer basically has to pretend half of what happened didn't, as do the characters.

I'm basically one of those people who watch soaps because I've been watching soaps since I was about 5 years old on my grandma's knee. I think that's probably true for most of us. There is no way I would watch any of this ridiculous drivel if it were new to me. Maybe that's harsh, but it's true.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Affair.  Go get it.  Ruth Wilson is fabulous, so is Maura Tierney.  The entire series, cast, writing are fabulous.  It starts off slow - stick with it.  And you have to pay attention each episode as to where the timing is...they go back and forth between past, present, future.  That is a soap opera and no one talks about it on these boards.  Someone please watch it. 

• Members

I actually saw the first episode of The Affair when it was in previews.  Good show and I have liked Ruth Wilson as an actress ever since Luther but I don't subscribe to Showtime and I don't intend to in the future.  Perhaps I'll check my local library to see when/if the 1st season DVD boxed set will be available.

I was actually making a distinction between daytime and primetime.  The Affair, Downton Abbey etc are all Primetime soaps and I've mentioned that primetime (including those on Amazon and Netflix) are flourishing in contrast with Daytime soaps, which are languishing.  When I mentioned the dearth of talented headwriters writing soaps, I was referring to Daytime not Primetime.

I will try to see if I can get my hands on the rest of Season 1 of the Affair though,  I am backed up on my series shows though, so it will take awhile before I get to it.  Thanks.

• Members

THE AFFAIR took my breath away. For the first 4 episodes or so, it was slow but good. And then -- it explodes. I have yet to watch the second season (I will binge watch soon) but it is phenomenal soap opera and sad that not more people here watch.

• Members

Well, today's little Mr. Robot reference (I believe this tech could change the world!) with Kevin was slightly clever.  Victoria was sweet with Billy. I would have liked to see Jill and the rest of the Abbots get to see that Billy is alive today. Making Paul a pit bull today was annoying.

• Members

Hey all.  It was fun posting here, even though I did annoy a lot of folks.  I don't watch the show anymore.  My mom still watches, she complains a lot but still watches.  lol  There is nothing on the show anymore that I am interested in, so I don't waste my time with it.

• Members

So you were interested only when you hoped Mariah would become a lesbian? Just wondering if this is your annoying goodbye post.

Glad it was fun for you to post here, annoying us with your comments about a show that has nothing to interest you and that wastes your time.

Archived