Y&R: January 2016 Discussion thread

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, Bryton (and I rarely say that). He was so engaged on Tuesday (US) episode. Loved it. In a weird way, I'm back to being into the Devon/Hilary/Neil/Nikki(!) grouping. I will give them credit that Neil/Nikki has been simmering for a long time. And it's always a happy day with Lily/Hilary face-off. I really hope they pull CK far, far away from Lame for good. This certainly isn't 'high-brow' and anywhere near the sophistication of "smart-TV," but I watch Y&R to be entertained and see actors I've watched for years. Good soap opera writing/storylines has evolved (devolved) no differently than primetime dramas or comedies. "It was ALWAYS better in the past." LOL

• Members

That's a cheap cop-out, darling. I fear you just have nothing to say to defend the show. There are plenty of current shows that are tons better than ones in the past and vice versa. It has nothing to do with blind nostalgia, as you're trying to suggest. The point of the matter is, the show is HORRID, no one is written in character, and it's a misogynistic, plot-driven mess. Does that entertain you? Good. At least someone is enjoying it. But it has nothing to do with "it's always better in the past." If that were the case, I'd think 1996 and 1997 were great years. I'd think 2005 rocked. And they didn't. But they were eons better than this lowest denominator, Sunsetmelrosepassionsbeach amalgamation.  

• Members

I disagree strongly with this.  

There are some truly well written primetime dramas these days, albeit, some are technically not on TV but online platforms like Amazon and Netflix.  Daytime dramas on the other hand, are without question written worse now than they were 10-15 years ago.  

If today's daytime soaps are written so well and comparable to the daytime soaps at their zenith, there would not be so much instability with writers regimes changing so frequently these days.  

Face it, there are no Phillips, Nixons, Bells, Marlands or Lemays in this current bunch.  

• Members

Why? Most of these characters have either done prison time or they got away with a major crime. They have no room to judge someone for a mere kidnapping. I've probably forgotten more of their crimes than I can remember.

Kevin-Statutory rape, theft, hacking

Phyllis -Arson, attempted murder,blackmail

Sharon-Arson, hiding Cameron's body in a sewer

Adam - Kidnapping, hit and run,blackmail, probably murder

Ashley- stealing sperm

Chelsea-Rape, various cons

Abby- Running over Tucker.

Billy-DUI, cyber/financial crimes

Hillary-drugging Cane, con.

Cane- con artist, impersonation.

Neil-Kidnapping, DUI

Noah-Hit and run

Paul- Rape

Colin-professional criminal

Michael- attempted rape, sexual harassment, B&E

Marisa -obstruction of justice, accessory after the fact

Jack- blackmail, accessory after the fact

Nikki-She's killed a few people and covered up crimes

Victor: too many to name

• Members

My issue with Neville is he attacked Dylan WITH A SYRINGE FILLED WITH GOD KNOWS WHAT!!! It knocked Dylan out and he was found later by Paul. The doctor then went on the run. So, a few weeks later he just shows up at Abby and Stitch's wedding where his victim is the best man. And there was no confrontation. He's currently freely walking around and no mention of this assault.

I assume Hilary calling him a hero and giving him a Christmas gift was supposed to paint him as innocent of criminal activity like her loving Neil and professing him a hero is supposed to absolve him. But its disjointed and nonsensical. At least let Dylan press charges and him get off cause Dylan was trespassing. Something. I can't stand Pratt's writing! 

• Members

All I'm saying is that he's no more ridiculous or criminal than the rest. The entire show hasn't been reality based in years. I don't think it's any more ludicrous for some of us to like him than the rest of GC's felons. Meanwhile, I did not care for Tad in the least. 

• Members

Caught up on the last few episodes

The scene with Kevin and Max at Crimson Lights was unintentionally Law & Order SVU esque. Eric Braeden obviously gets a kick out of working with Greg R but I'm not here for Kevin and his little fantasies or this tech startup.

Jess Walton is really killing it they were smart to center this Billy drama mostly around her. I thought the scenes with various characters at Billy's death bed were nice as well. Beth Maitland, Eileen D, Gina T, and surprisingly even Melissa O did good work. Aunt Jack is such an abandoner, not surprised he decided to pull the plug on Billy Boy. I never get tired of hearing "The role of....will now be played by..." Lets hope Jason Thompson brings some new juice to the character.

Hillary is a ho, Neil is a douche bag, Devon is a whiny and cahona-less, Lilly is a hypocrite ho, and Cane is irrelevant. I'm over all of them. 

I do enjoy Nikki and Neil keeping up the faux affair and loved the scene of Victor confronting Nikki at the Athletic Club, you can always tell when Eric B and MTS freestyle and go for it

I guess this is Justin Hartley's out to film his pilot? Wonder if Luca had him kidnapped. MCE looks :wub: with the dark hair back

I don't care about Noah's angst but I'm guessing this is a tool for Luca to blackmail Victor. They should focus only on the business aspect with that whole group.

I don't think the show is that bad and I agree with @Juliajms its by far the most entertaining and engaging of the four shows. Had friends over and they all paused in their seats during the Billy hospital drama. I understand why the ratings are consistently up

• Members

Sigh.  So the show is engaging and entertaining but you don't care much for most of the characters.  Anyway...

It was strange how they showed a clump of someone in the elevator at the start of today's show and centered the next 40 mins around JTs Billy In Limbo.  I did like Didi with the rings.  And this guy doesn't look near as old as Grandpa Billy.  First impression, there's something about him that gets my attention, I'm just not sure about him in this role yet.  I do think he's better than Burgess.

• Members

Reread what was said.

No one said it was classic Y&R, or that it was better than the show has ever been. Out of the four soaps currently on though its the only one that can keep interest scene to scene and episode to episode. If I didn't have long term viewer fatigue from seeing the same characters running through the same material a lot of them shouldn't even be involved in I'd probably enjoy the show even more.

Jason Thompson was really good for his first episode, I was expecting early Patrick Drake but he was able to leave that and channel right into Billy. I wonder if he watched a little bit of the Teeth Grinder's tenure because he brought a similar presence minus the annoying ticks.

I liked the set up of todays episode with Billy watching everyone grieve. You can tell when JFP is invested in making a recast work because she goes all out to launch them right (Jason, Justin Hartley Gina T, Laura Wright at GH). The ones who are obvious seat fillers until she gets the actor she really wants are just randomly thrown in the mix (Burgess, David Tom, Jennifer Bransford at GH) and left to fend for themselves. Curious to see how his chemistry is once he actually interacts with the cast.

Archived