Unpopular Opinions: 2012 Edition

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Talk Show related:

The Talk >>> Everyone else

This show is on fire this season, I haven't enjoyed a talk show this much since Oprah. They are hilarious, and far more enjoyable than The View, who have taken themselves WAY to seriously. Whoever decided to make them this Political epicenter, really dropped the ball.

But the talk is just soo much fun, and I actually enjoy them all. Sharon is my least favorite but I enjoy her aswell. Today's episode had me rolling, they aren't afraid to talk about anything.

• Members

Except if she was a good enough actress she wouldn't need another actor to justify her airtime.

Heather didn't.

It was though.

Except for the first six months of her stint (and even that doesn't really count) the only stories she's ever had (other than a brief rivalry with Adam) have been because of her relationships.

There's a reason the character has been married 3 times since Amelia was cast.

• Members

Again I don't get what this has to do with Heinle. I'm not saying she's Meryl streep but good heavens what actress other than Stafford and MAYBE MTS does this show right for outside of a pairing.you're talking about a different era of writers.

• Members

The point is that the character never needed a man to justify her existance UNTIL Amelia was cast.

That is NOT a coincidence.

It's another example of new fans warping characters for no reason much like how fans insisted Chloe HAD to be Kate to justify her place on the canvas (and how much good did THAT do?)

But that isn't the point.

The point was that she's a miscast actress whose meager talent can't transcend Maria & Hogan's horrible writing.

Maura West was extremely miscast & dealt with the same bad writing yet was still able to make Diane sympathetic in what little airtime she got (before Maria decided to fire her & kill Diane off) so Amelia has no excuse.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I feel like this topic needs to be revived.

My UO: while I think that Ronn Moss is a terrible actor, I'm glad that he chose to walk away from B&B instead of taking a pay cut. The genre is dead and I commend anyone who has the sense to jump ship. That said, I hope this doesn't adversely effect B&B's ratings. I love the fact that they've done well in spite of the fact that the soap press has spent the last few years humping ABC's leg and I want that to continue. I want B&B to be the last soap standing.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

((bumping this up because of that 'actors you loved in one role and hated in another' thread...))

I preferred Sarah Brown as Claudia over Carly, for the simple fact the former role managed to succeed at convincing me that she was a broken person in spite of the 'fvcked-up' things that she did (I say, 'fvcked-up' because I wasn't sad at all to see Chucky put into a coma) while I found her absolutely loathsome in the latter role (a role that has been touted to death as her best).

Yes, she was ultimately thrown under the bus for Sonny, but the fact that she loathed the very people that the show propped as our heroes and actively tried to destroy their asses made her A-OK in my book. My only regret is that she didn't take Krustina's ass out after learning that that brat caused her miscarriage.

• Members

That scene that supposed to show that Amelie Henlie is competent as Victoria, I don't see it. Her acting in that clip is the same as it is now.

Sharon Case was laughable bad during the time when Victor "died".

While it's fine to enjoy OLTL characters on GH, I do find it shocking that so many of these fans have a hard time believing that there are GH fans who wouldn't want these characters on their show.

While she has improved I find JMW (on B&B) to be overrated. She reminds me of Melissa Clare Egan, people being not caring about her as a heroine, but loving her as a vixen/bitch.

So far I'm not excited about JFP coming on Y&R.

Wilson Bethel was not wasted on Y&R. They created a role for him and he got more airtime than Bryton McClure.

• Members

I like Jill Farren Phelps and while I don't agree with her disastrous choices to kill off GL's Maureen and AW's Frankie, both deaths made for compelling viewing. Maureen's death drove story for years after, and Frankie's last episode, while brutal, was one of the most compelling action/"thriller" sequences of the 90s, maybe ever. I'm glad JFP didn't take the easy way out with either character's death.

Susan Walters was a worse Diane than Maura West. I like Walters, but all she did was copy Alex Donnely's voice and mannerisms. Yes, it made for a smoother transition but after that, she did nothing to make the character her own and wasn't able to sell some of the things Diane did (like framing Phyllis for the fire).

I actually liked Adam's gaslighting of Ashley with Chris Engen in the role (fetus in the fireplace or not) but Michael Muhney came on and killed it. I haven't liked the character of Adam (even a little) since then and still say Muhney is a complete miscast.

I never liked Traci Abbott until the past 6 years or so. She's just not the type of character I'm drawn to.

I LOVED Marie Wilson as Meg and wish they continued to play her as the lonely, flawed outsider she was in her first year instead of the romantic "heroine" she turned into with Paul. Thank GOD they reverted her to "Nut-Meg" in the final year, though I'd have preferred if they had been building to that throughout her entire run on the show. IMO, Marie Wilson is a VERY underrated actress and would be an asset to any soap that hires her.

Speaking of ATWT, of any soap that's ever been cancelled while I've been a viewer, ATWT was in the best shape when it went off the air. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire last year of the show, from summer 2009-summer 2010 and think it should have easily won the Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series and Writing for its last year on the air. I miss ATWT more than any soap that's gone off the air, including my much beloved Santa Barbara. Probably because I came to the ATWT party so late in the game and would love to dive into its history. It KILLS me that there's no way I'm ever going to see Susan Stewart in the 1970s. I'd KILL to watch alcoholic Susan making a mess of her's and everyone else's life in Oakdale.

• Members

Rebecca Herbst is beautiful but she is a poor actress, especially when it comes to love scenes. Her whispery, Valley voice doesn't help. This -- as much as Frons personal hatred of the character of Elizabeth/obsession with Kelly Monaco -- is the reason why Liz has been a relegated to supporting character in the past.

It actually pained me to write that because I do actually like RH. But I can't watch her in scenes for extended periods. The recent one with Kelly Monaco was an exception.

• Members

^Head writers and producers on soaps have no idea what bad acting is. I like Herbst, but if she was a bad actress, that would probably just make her more likely to get more airtime. No one is ever fired for bad acting on soaps these days.

I actually like Lisa Rinna a lot! I don't think she's good for daytime, but I loved her in everything else I've seen her in.

On Passions, I used to root for Gwen over Theresa, most of the time. That changed in 2007 with the direct tv run, but even so, that was Gwen being sacrificed for the great love of Theresa/Ethan. I couldn't root for any of those three characters.

Florencia Lozano doesn't screech loud enough for my taste. I'm not even kidding!! I wish she'd go all out and literally have a scenery chewing/screeching contest with LW's Carly on GH. I wonder which of them would win.

I actually liked Cole on OLTL when he was recast. Brandon Buddy was so unlikable most of the time. Van Hughes was a better actor and much less unlikable.

Archived