Unpopular Opinions: 2012 Edition

• Members

I can't believe people miss Guza. He, and even moreso Pratt, are just horrible writers indulging in nihilistic excess that sometimes bordered on the obscene. The image of 40 year old Sonny strangling 75 year old Edward with his necktie was disturbing--and this was the romantic hero! Georgie's death, the repeated replaying of Emily's death, random carnage with Cooper and was it he hanging himself so Maxie found the body? And Michael strangling AJ while Monica watched and did nothing, Luke paying Coleman to sleep with Tracy, and on and on and on with these neverending examples of bad taste mixed with a writer who has no interest in morality and meaning. He had an occasional good scene and seemed to have a hidden desire to write sitcoms with people like Diane and Spin, but for every harmless attempt at silliness were 20 examples of chaos and cruelty. Good riddance.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think people loved Guza for those specific moments in time, the big melodramatic action movie angst type scenes, usually accompanied by character death.

I hate that on soaps so I was never much of a fan, but I can see why some miss it. In the pockets of abomination there was at times razor-sharp dialogue and strong acting, which isn't there now.

• Members

I can't speak to Guza but Pratt was just a bad fit for AMC that doesn't change the fact that he had some good stuff. (The show had some energy and I like the stories he tried to do around the Iraq war and its effects on Frankie, Taylor and Brot.) I assume the same is true for Guza. Even the crappiest writer usually manage to do a couple of things right. Given the state of the genre that's all you need. There are no more Doug Marlands and Agnes Nixons. They're all working for cable or the BBC.

• Members

+1.

I can admit that Guza can write a good story, but I couldn't with the Sonny/Jason worship and all the unnecessary deaths (Justus, Alan, Georgie, AJ, Emily, etc.)

I'm still pissed he killed off Logan, that was my favorite Lulu pairing I have seen her in.

• Members
Well lately with him them bringing back the 80s I keep seeing all over stuff about them being great and knowing how to write real soap and how others should follow their example. The most ridiculous thing I read had to have been an article that said something like Frank and Ron know that older characters attract the young viewers.

Archived