Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The thing with Y&R women at the show's peak wasn't that they were strong, it's that they were complex and fascinating - glittering, jagged edges. You look at Katherine during the blackmail photos story - she's absolutely pathetic. A bitter failure drowning herself in booze and revenge to try to recapture what she never had. This was riveting to watch. When Katherine was "strong" in later years, she was often boring and forgettable outside of Jeanne's performance.

Of course you can write strong women who are also complex and tragic, and I do think he did this with Liz.

I don't think Bill Bell was the greatest writer ever for women, and I imagine in 1977, compared to shows like Ryan's Hope, or the other ABC soaps, or Guiding Light, his women may have seemed antiquated, but it's just that he was a very stylized writer.

I tend to wonder if she felt that way because Jennifer was consistently written as the family burden.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Beth Maitland is really beautiful. Only in a soap world would that be considered the "ugly duckling." Granted, the show often styled her to look dumpy and BM played Traci's insecurities to the hilt, but she's really gorgeous there, even with the unbelievably smokin' Don Diamont in her midst.

• Members

Still making my way through all the episodes, so hadn't seen those scenes! Thanks for all the posts, I hope more are coming again soon :P

Jill v Dina is so much fun. I think I have Brenda Dickson's first scene back & it was with Dina. I'll try to get around to posting it one day when I finally get a new computer.