Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

This is different soaps being covered but here is an episode of 48 Hrs from 1989 discussing the soaps.....they also show the behind the scenes of Cricket/Derek rape scene which is interesting since days22 just posted that episode......Lauralee went to Kay Alden for advice for her scenes.....Alden was raped herself years ago, I didn't know that....

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks for posting this.

Such great backstage stuff and access to things I never thought we'd ever see, but also such intense, infuriating condescension from the reporters. How unprofessional to keep asking the actors how they feel about working on such low forms as soaps, or editing Lucci's claims about Erica Kane to come on right before Dano's humbler assertions, making Lucci look OTT and ridiculous. And the especially cringeworthy segment with University.

Still, great to see various, average people talking about soaps (not just overweight middle-aged women), including men!!!

And writers talking about how something doesn't make sense/may not be earned. Imagine that!

LOL at Braeden being his motherfucking diva self. I would cut him if he tried to do something like that with my scripts.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

Yeah the Lucci and Dano thing was very contrived....I think most soap fans know that Lucci isn't the diva people think she is (for the most part)

That "University" soap looked OTT but interesting if that makes sense?? haha.....I mean come on I think most colleges would be too ashamed to film their own soaps.....nowadays everyone just makes their own reality show cause that's what's "in" these days....so you can't blame those university people for trying....LOL

It's sad watching the Bill Bell staff plot the show and thinking about the lack of knowledge the current and previous TPTP over the last few years have with this show....I mean you don't long conferences anymore like they did, everything now is just, "Ok so Sharon will sleep with Nick on Monday then Billy on Wednesday....why? because she can!!" no thought what so ever on character development....

I just rolled my eyes at the Braeden part.....I'm hoping Bill made him do the whole thing anyway cause there's no way HE would cave into Braeden like everyone does now...

• Members

I finally watched that 48 Hours piece, and what annoyed me the most is how they kept trying to bait Bill Bell and others on the show to act like they were doing crap and they should just phone it in because fans were too stupid to notice. They just seemed to hate the idea that the soaps were of any quality whatsoever.

What they did with Susan Lucci, setting her up to look silly and deluded compared to Linda Dano, was beyond unprofessional.

I think my favorite part of the piece was Bill Bell's response to whether they'd keep doing issue stories if they tanked the ratings. Idealistic-but-pragmatic in action.

The stuff about Kay Alden came next.

Rick Domeier, the Jack auditioner they kind of gave the edit which suggested we should see him as fooling himself, became a QVC host in 1994 and is still there. I guess he got the last laugh.

• Members

The majority of the media has always had a disdain for soaps and soap fans and slams them every chance they get.

I miss Bill Bell. Y&R died when he did. Kay Alden could have carried on the legacy, but Sony threw her under the bus by sticking her with that albatross Lynn Marie Latham.

• Members

Personally, I thought the chemistry between Espy and Stewart was far superior. In an interview once, Stewart acknowledged that her character had a social-worker complex, and needed to fix broken people. Espy's Snapper was an emotionally stunted, troubled young man, and it made sense that a do-gooder like Chris would be drawn to him. (Well, besides the fact that he was gorgeous.) In an review published in Daily TV Serials, the critic noted of Espy's performance: "Have you ever seen strength look so vulnerable?"