Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

It's def one of his last episodes, but i'm sure he made his last appearance the following week, since I don't think he would share his final scene talking to Brad (btw this turned out to be a very touching scene as though he hates him the reality has sunk in that he can't run Jabot without Jack.....) I could be wrong though....but I'd figured the last scene would be him saying goodbye to his whole family...

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Possibly. I was a kid when this aired, but judging by synopsis from that week and the following Jack is not mentioned anywhere after his scene with Brad and in fact the family are shocked that Jack just took off. It seems like a very Jack thing to do (when Lester was in the role) and there was no love lost between Bell and Lester the last six months of the show (something Bill Bell admitted to in an interview with SOD at the time). So I doubt he got some big send off or emotional goodbyes, Bell admitted when Lester announced his departure he lost interest in the character.

I can confirm Lester's last tape date was Aug 17th 1989 and he began airing on SB Sep 25th 1989.

• Members

Thanks for giving the last tape date for Lester! and yes it does seem more in character for Jack to just take off and the family later finding out and are stunned he just took off......This episode aired on a Friday and assuming Y&R was preempted the following week for tennis (Monday September 4 and Friday September 8,1989) there were only 3 shows the following week. The episode from September 7,1989 has been on youtube for a while and Jack isn't on that show, so we would have to wait for Tuesday September 5th or Wednesday September 6th 1989 to confirm if there was one more scene of Lester before he left.....This could stlll very well be his last episode though....

Lester really phoned it in those last months too, like he was playing some sort of game with Bell to dismiss him faster....The whole Jabot takeover isn't even depressing Jack as much as it severely depressed Bergman....it sort of makes you wonder if one of the reasons Bell came up with that story (besides needing Victor to get his revenge for Jack helping Leanna write "ruthless") was to try to get Lester something meaty to play so he could hopefully redeem himself, but obviously it backfired....

• Members

Yeah so true. The scene of Jack confronting Victor about what he plans to do with Jabot. Lester I think is chewing gum and just seems like a kid who is trying to piss someone off and get in trouble.

I can't say I understand what his problem really was, he stated Sally Sussman was the driving force in keeping the Abbott's in the scripts and once Bell moved to California and Sally headed for Generations, the Abbotts were minimised. I don't see it. They seem very much in the forefront. Jack had been on air since July 1980. Nine years is a long time to keep a character constantly in the forefront.

• Members

Jerry Douglas stated that he also thought the Abbotts weren't as forefront once they got into the 90's....he said before that the Newmans seemed to take over as the core family.....which I guess they did but there was much better balance then now, were all the stories have to somehow involve the Newmans.....He's also made it clear that he still refers the "original" Abbotts with him and Deborah Adair as Jill (who was apparently one of his favorite's to work with) and Terry, Eileen and Beth....he's spoken fondly of those Abbott breakfasts they mostly did in the earlier days of the Abbotts....

What disappoints me is that I still think the Victor/Jack scenes would have been more even if Lester had stayed throughout the 90's......Jack could've gotten Jabot back in just a matter of months and not a whole decade with Bergman.....The only reason that Jack has lost so many times to Victor throughout Bergman's run I think is mostly due to the fact that Bergman can never play the type of Jack Bell wanted and because of that he just wrote him as Cliff 2.0......I think things would have been a lot different if Terry cared and decided to be a team player.......Braeden got along a lot better with him too....I still to this day wonder what really goes on between Bergman and Braeden whenever they are filming though the whole fight was nearly 23 years ago....

• Members

I don't remember reading anything about Eric Braeden and his working relationship with Terry Lester. I also don't recall Eric ever commenting on Terry's passing nearly 11 years ago.

As far as I know, the only co-stars Eric has had beef with were Brenda Dickson (I don't recall her Jill interacting that much with Victor though), Peter Bergman, and Michael Muhney.

• Members

He has spoken about him in his archive of American Television interview, but I think it was mostly on how he was just a very good actor etc...but I heard elsewhere they got along...

The Brenda one is new, though that doesn't surprise me at all.....I always wondered what scenes with him and her would be like......she and MTS hated each other apparently which is why her Jill and Nikki rarely crossed paths.....

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

Jerry hated her, so did Marguerite Ray I think.....

I would assume she got along with her original family, at least Julianna? I don't know if they had any beef. I can't see her getting along with JLB or any of the brooks sisters though she paid tribute to Victoria Mallory in her recent passing....

and of course according to Jeanne's book they had a rocky relationship at first which of course got better. Though Brenda was probably one of the only people ever to almost not get along with Jeanne.....

• Members

I wonder what went down with MTS and BD ? Was this during her first or second run ? I wonder how Brenda got along with Marla Adams ?

The whole cast seemed to adore Marla. In Jeanne's book she said Terry rented a bus and took the whole Y&R cast to go see Marla in a play.

• Members

1982 episode, with Earl and Alison and early Esther!.....This is labeled October 8th,1982 which is the date people keep asking about however that isn't the right date cause Snapper,Chris, and Sally were gone by the spring of this year so this had to been around April 1982......also minus the Kay/Alison/Earl stuff most of these scenes were already on youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_yA4y7qIts&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YX0fvbA0hg&list=UU1SN29flGTjicPnAzxJM28A&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EW5qDnP-9Q