As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Babs Bloom is the entire root of all evil in the later years. Not only in casting...(ABC actors and can anyone forget the paunchy guy from Port Charles playing Dylan Lewis..no mention of Bridget and of course he was in love with Harley and he had no chemistry with anyone...) but because he was a frustrated writer, with ideas...like the infamous Clone!

"Didn't Bette love Lisa Brown on GL and want her to play her in a biopic?"

She did write her fan letters and said that Nola was the kind of part she would have played when she was younger. Bette also loved Eileen Fulton's Lisa...saying she was like an old time movie star in how she dressed and acted (which is weird as Bett wasnt into glam.)

Edited by Mitch

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

A more notable moderator would definitely help. 

Nobody should feel obligated to watch a moderator or host they don't enjoy. There's also a thought lurking in the back of my mind that if someone, say another SoapClassics were doing research to see if there were enough interest to try to secure another agreement with a P&G to do a compilation set or better yet a streaming platform, they would look at those paltry numbers and assume that the interest in these soaps have surely dissipated and drop the idea. Far-fetched, I know but the SoapsClassics folks had to have gotten the idea to release compilation episodes from somewhere. 

I'm also probably one of the few people who believe that having have a dozen ATWT YouTube channels, rather than one really comprehensive channel with high-quality videos actually weakens the value of the product.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Knowing soap fans as well as the gays, there will be complaints no matter who the moderator is. I do think there are better options than giving Locher literally every spot, particularly with shows he either does not know well at all or is clearly reticent to allow the actors to be open out of his own brand loyalty to P&G beyond all reason.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Coincidentally, I had been watching reruns of The Division and Nancy McKeon's character found out she had a half-sister from her father played by the late Alex Rocco, who was played by none other than Melanie Smith,

I believe Nancy now lives in Texas, I think Austin or somewhere near there. But she would be a good person to hear from too. 

• Members

Queens recognize another Queen  lol ... I love how Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, etc. loved and respected soap operas. Of course considering their melodramas as movies, it makes sense. Love it though. They see the hard work that goes into it that gets overlooked and dismissed.

That's so cool though. I need to watch this interview for sure. Sounds like a good time. 

I had no clue either about Nancy and Melanie being BFFS, but I can totally see it. 

Would love to see them interviewed together. 

• Members

There have been many moments where I definitely have been frustrated with Alan and clearly some reunions he derailed with poor moderation but we should still give him credit that he is doing them, setting them up, etc. views or not.

Also, and this is not a complete defense of him, but it strikes me that the fact he let her get deep onto Beecroft might because he indeed was there and saw that it was true so he was comfortable with it.
Whereas other gossip he cringes at because he wasn't there, can't vouch for it and is concerning about defaming people who can't defend themselves. Not in a legal sense but that's probably where the caution is. Actors are still people and some people might be settling scores in a way that is unfair and he might not be OK giving them a platform to do that if he can't verify the info.

Plenty to criticize him for though but I did want to present some positivity because I am still glad they get made.

• Members

This.

I absolutely agree with your take on this.

He definitely deserves some heat, but at his core, he's a PR person and it shows. You're trained to prevent messes, not cause them. Even if deep down he probably loves the tea like we all do.

I also understand the frustration of wanting to go deeper with the guests and get more tea spilled. I admit to being frustrated, but the reality is, they aren't interviews. They're hangouts he started during the pandemic so we could hang out with our favorite soap stars from the past. I appreciate the effort and his ability to get so many people I never thought I'd hear from (or SEE do an interview live on YouTube, LOL).

• Members

You should check out Mindy Cohn's podcast...she had Nancy on a few months ago..and it was a fun interview.

Also, she and Tracy Bergman were friends since the 70s..and she's close to Deirdre Hall.  Some nice interviews...doubt Alan Locher would be that indepth.

Bette Davis wanting Melanie's autograph makes sense....Melanie had the tortured vibe..perfect for film noir.

I'll be a table of one...but I like Mary Ellen as Frannie better than Julianne Moore.

• Members

was he there? i thought alan started at p&g in 1997. according to imdb, both melanie and mary ellen left the show in 1992. 

but, it is true that when actors who were on the show prior to he arrival want to let it rip, he lets them go — witness rosemary printz. came across thoughts about the roots of her feud  with irna phillips — have to scroll down a bit.

• Members

Correct -- Alan was not working on ATWT when Melanie and Mary Ellen were on the show.  

I find the interviews are better, with less interruptions, when Alan hasn't worked with the guests.  There is less of his own rambling, he's not as chummy w/ the actors and the interviews are more professional.  The trade off is that sometimes he gets history wrong...but I will gladly trade that for depth and a little tea.    The fans are always there to correct him -- and Alan often solicits their fact-checking prowess.

• Members

I've watched GH..and his sets look like they're fall over if it's windy.  His sets look basic and cheap...devoid of personality.

It saddens me that the hideous Snyder kitchen remained till the end.  Ugliest set ever..and also a pointless family that was unneeded on the show.