As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Lol I had completely forgotten they had recast Maddie and that the Nadia actress was the 2nd Maddie last night. I remember they wrote in Maddie for a pop up visit for the holidays for Christmas 2008 and New Years before she abruptly left town again. Then in late summer Alexandra Chando returned as Maddie for a while. Not even sure what Chando has been up to after her Chuck Pratt series on ABC Family was cancelled. 

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Haha ho boy that Jade recast was bad. I remember the Lucy recast at least did better in the role than Kelsey Grammer’s  daughter did.

Part of the problem was by this point of the series there was any long-term story anymore, just month long arcs aka “villain of the month” as we called it where characters just popped in and out on a whim I.e. Mike Kasnoff popped back into town for a brief story, Alison visits Chris but then Aaron randomly pops in for a short visit, Oakdale gets boring so here comes Ric Decker and/ Stenbeck to terrorize Oakdale for a couple weeks etc. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Thanks to @YRfan23 and their continued efforts at telling us about new Y&R material available, some new ATWT material has also been found. 

Starting at about 46 minutes on disc 2, you can see the July 21, 1992 episode of ATWT

https://archive.org/details/SmokesVHSTape1120/Tape+1120+Disc+2.ISO

The start of disc 3 has July 22, 1992.

https://archive.org/details/SmokesVHSTape1120/Tape+1120+Disc+3.ISO

The 21st used to be on Youtube - I think with an account that uploaded random '80s and '90s episodes along with other TV stuff, but I don't think the 22nd ever has. Needless to say, this is a momentous period, as it's right after Holden is mugged and has the operation which was supposed to take away his memory. 

Years ago Oakdalian (who I think may have also had some 1992 stuff from around this point that is no longer there) put up a short clip from July 20th, also involving Holden's story. 

It's good to get a little more Marland-era ATWT to help close out such a difficult year. If only even older ATWT could show up.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Does anybody know how many ATWT Thanksgiving episodes are uploaded on YouTube, or anywhere else?  I wonder how far back the show started doing Thanksgiving episodes?  For example, was this a thing in 1978 or 1979? If so, I'd love to see some Thanksgiving episodes from that era! 

• Members

I was wondering about this recently re-watching late 1992 and after @DRW50 mentioned something in another thread was there serious discussion about recasting Frannie Hughes in 1993? I could imagine the show trying to recast with an actress around Martha Bryne's age returning to have a whirlwind romance or flind with either Peter Cabot or some Grimaldi cousin/brother before landing in bed with Scott Elridge, Diego Santana, and David Stenbeck shipping Frannie off for good by early 1999 lol. 

• Members

For some reason, that's what I remember as well. I just wondered if the big, elaborate Thanksgiving celebrations that we all grew up with and loved were an '80s invention or did they have these kinds of episodes in the decades before. Like, was Chris Hughes known for making the types of Thanksgiving toasts that his son Bob made famous?

• Members

I've been wondering when the show started incorporating Thanksgiving as well. From my experience, those 1979 episodes on Youtube are definitely missing bits and pieces, so there may have been a Thanksgiving celebration that was not uploaded. Interestingly enough, though, if the dates on those '79 episodes are correct, the Friday episode actually aired in that year. 

Although the 1980 episodes aren't up there, in order to make sense of the episode numbers that ARE out there, both Thanksgiving dates must have actually had episodes that aired (the Thursday one in '79 could have aired as well, but that one is not on YT).

By 1982, in order to make sense of the episode numbers, both Thanksgiving dated must have been pre-empted, and for every year since I have the pre-emptions either confirmed or strongly suspected.

So either a shift took place around '81, or some of the episode numbers/dates out there are not correct. 

In answer to your original question, @DramatistDreamer, you can find all episodes that are available on YT (to my knowledge) in the ATWT Full Episode List thread. I'd venture to say that Thanksgiving was celebrated on the show on the Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving usually, so all of those episodes that are marked as being on YT may feature some of that holiday sentiment you're looking for

Please register in order to view this content

• 2 weeks later...